Delayed Closing question

lovethesun12

DIS Veteran
If you purchase with a delayed closing, when would you have to pay the entire cost (at closing?). Also, would it be possible for the seller to back out of the contract? I wouldn't want to wait longer only to have them back out.

Thanks in advance =)

If you purchase with a delayed closing, when would you have to pay the entire cost (at closing?). Also, would it be possible for the seller to back out of the contract? I wouldn't want to wait longer only to have them back out.

Thanks in advance =)
You pay a deposit when you sign the contract and then you pay the remainder at closing. They may send you closing documents well before close, I would just wait to send the money until closer to closing and probably not until the closing agent notified me seller had returned theirs. It can take a long time to get your money back once you give it to them, even in the event the seller backs out. It is always possible for the seller to back out of any contract. A delayed closing may make it slightly more likely depending on what happens to the market between entering into the contract and closing. As a buyer, you could also come to regret the purchase or price of the contract depending on what happens with the market.

I bought a delayed closing contract once and everything went fine, but I was apprehensive of the seller backing out as well because it makes it a longer time to find out you have wasted your time. So make sure you are getting a good deal to counter balance the risks and time associated with a delayed close.

Definitely don't send the money until the week before the closing, the seller could just change their minds even after signing the closing documents.

Thanks for the information :)

If the seller backs out, would there be any type of penalty/payment for them?

AFAIK, they would owe the broker the commission. However, the broker may have a difficult time collecting it.
This is why I really don't like delayed closings, at least ones that are over a 2 month delay, Seller could walk away at anytime and not really have to pay a penalty. Unless you have a hard to find UY for your Resort, then I would suggest to wait for another contract to come up. Chances are that another contract will come up if your patient for what your looking for.

I am in the process of selling a delayed closing contract, Deposit was all that was sent by buyer, Passed ROFR in normal time frames, and closing documents will be sent closer to the date of closing,

The date is June 26th and we have not yet been sent the closing documents. Sure, I could back out at this point, but as said, I am on the hook for the commission.

This is my 4th delayed closing transaction. 3rd as a seller and did one as a buyer. All went smooth.

What is the process of a delayed closing? You sign an agreement, pay deposit and then does it go to ROFR then estoppel and just wait for the delayed closing date? Then once closed the wait for the points to be loaded begins? Looking at a delayed closing contract so I just want to be sure of the process.TIA

What is the process of a delayed closing? You sign an agreement, pay deposit and then does it go to ROFR then estoppel and just wait for the delayed closing date? Then once closed the wait for the points to be loaded begins? Looking at a delayed closing contract so I just want to be sure of the process.TIA
It’s the same exact process. There is just a delay on the close date. Generally, everything will be done and then you will just be waiting for your close date to arrive. However, there is always the possibility that Disney could take all the way up until closer to your delayed closing date to decide ROFR as the the close date is the deadline for their decision on ROFR. They generally decide delayed closings on the same timeline as regular closing contracts, but you should be aware they absolutely do not have to.

It’s the same exact process. There is just a delay on the close date. Generally, everything will be done and then you will just be waiting for your close date to arrive. However, there is always the possibility that Disney could take all the way up until closer to your delayed closing date to decide ROFR as the the close date is the deadline for their decision on ROFR. They generally decide delayed closings on the same timeline as regular closing contracts, but you should be aware they absolutely do not have to.

I didn't realize it could delay ROFR decision , but I suppose what will be will be! Thanks!!!

So that's the point of the 30 day ROFR if they can take it up until the contract closes?

Or am I missing something here?.........

So that's the point of the 30 day ROFR if they can take it up until the contract closes?

Or am I missing something here?.........
The 30 days applies to you in that you must give Disney AT LEAST 30 days to decide before you close. If your scheduled closing date is more than 30 days out from the time you submit it to ROFR then you have effectively given Disney however many days until your closing date. They generally decide within the 30 days, but they don’t have to (I had a contract taken at 54 days last year). They just have to decide before your contract is scheduled to close and you can’t schedule your closing within less than 30 days of submitting it to ROFR. Most brokers set closing 60 days out, which effectively gives Disney 60 days to make the ROFR decision.

I just bought a BLT resale contract. We signed the paperwork in January with a closing after May 2. I think we put 10%. We paid the remainder at closing. They required a bank check. The title company closed the day after they received our paperwork. We must have had a motivated seller since they had their paperwork returned well before the specified closing date.

The 30 days applies to you in that you must give Disney AT LEAST 30 days to decide before you close. If your scheduled closing date is more than 30 days out from the time you submit it to ROFR then you have effectively given Disney however many days until your closing date. They generally decide within the 30 days, but they don’t have to (I had a contract taken at 54 days last year). They just have to decide before your contract is scheduled to close and you can’t schedule your closing within less than 30 days of submitting it to ROFR. Most brokers set closing 60 days out, which effectively gives Disney 60 days to make the ROFR decision.

Ok -so how come paperwork doesn't go to Disney and then the closing paperwork is prepared, if Disney can take it back?

It just seems odd it can go to Disney for refusal, they waive it during the 30 day period then decide to pick it up before closing.

Does that happen after Disney have waived ROFR very often after the first 30 day period?

Ok -so how come paperwork doesn't go to Disney and then the closing paperwork is prepared, if Disney can take it back?

It just seems odd it can go to Disney for refusal, they waive it during the 30 day period then decide to pick it up before closing.

Does that happen after Disney have waived ROFR very often after the first 30 day period?
You seemed confused. If Disney waives within 30 days then that it is it. They don’t get a second bite at the apple just because there is a delayed closing. The whole point I was making is that with a delayed closing you are giving Disney a lot more time than the normal contract usually set at 60 days to close. Everyone talks about a 30 day deadline for Disney for ROFR, but that doesn’t exist. The 30 days applies to the buyer and seller in that they must submit their contract to Disney for ROFR at least 30 days before closing. I’m not sure why this is so hard to understand and why so many people continue to perpetuate this 30 day myth. The only deadline Disney has to exercise ROFR is the closing date on the contract.

You seemed confused. If Disney waives within 30 days then that it is it. They don’t get a second bite at the apple just because there is a delayed closing. The whole point I was making is that with a delayed closing you are giving Disney a lot more time than the normal contract usually set at 60 days to close. Everyone talks about a 30 day deadline for Disney for ROFR, but that doesn’t exist. The 30 days applies to the buyer and seller in that they must submit their contract to Disney for ROFR at least 30 days before closing. I’m not sure why this is so hard to understand and why so many people continue to perpetuate this 30 day myth. The only deadline Disney has to exercise ROFR is the closing date on the contract.

Ah ok, so my contract has been waived as confirmed by the Broker - so that's it for Disney? The next step is estoppel. So they can't now change their mind?

Have I understood correctly?

Ah ok, so my contract has been waived as confirmed by the Broker - so that's it for Disney? The next step is estoppel. So they can't now change their mind?

That's it. Now it's a different waiting game.

Yep, once they waive, you are good to go. They don’t get to change their mind just because the closing date may be at later date.

I am trying to understand the closing process of a delayed contract. The contract I bid on can't close until September. I am in the ROFR process. When should I expect to receive the closing documents if it passes and when would final payment be due? Right after passing ROFR? Or after the date it can close in September. I have looked through threads to find the answer. I have never purchased a delayed closing.

I am trying to understand the closing process of a delayed contract. The contract I bid on can't close until September. I am in the ROFR process. When should I expect to receive the closing documents if it passes and when would final payment be due? Right after passing ROFR? Or after the date it can close in September. I have looked through threads to find the answer. I have never purchased a delayed closing.
I had a 4 month delayed closing last year. My documents were received right after passing ROFR but final payment wasn't due until closing. Hope that helps.... good luck!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter