Del Sol Inn vs. Desert Inn and Suites

lauritagoddess

Doin' the Plush Rush
We're currently booked at Del Sol, but I can get our dates a little cheaper at Desert Inn. We've never stayed at either so I really have no basis for comparison. Would it be worth it moving over to Desert Inn? There is an issue of needing our bags stored on both our arrival and check out day. Would Desert Inn be better with this? TIA. :)

Actually, the *only* problem I've had staying at the Desert Inn & Suites is the luggage storage situation. They have a room of lockers (so you will have to pay in quarters; $1, maybe?) but the issue was that the outside door to the locker room is locked, and they have to 'call' someone to come open it up for you. Both times we waited 5-10 minutes, and then had to walk back in to the front desk and ask if they could call again... and then we waited another 5-10 minutes for them to unlock the door. On another stay there, the lockers were full (we found out after dragging our luggage over there- the hotel staff didn't know.) The front desk was reluctant to hold our luggage but after a polite "well, the lockers are full, and if you would be so kind to help us out... blah blah..." they held it at the front desk for us.
Having said all of that, I have no issues with Desert Inn and Suites as a hotel. Basic, usually decent priced, and great location! The Del Sol is comparable; though it is a much smaller hotel. Desert Inn and Suites has a pool that is indoors, the Del Sol has a small outdoor pool (if that is something you plan to use.) Both have 'free' breakfast, very similar choices at the two hotels.
The Del Sol recently updated their rooms, and the last time I stayed there everything looked all new and fresh.
If it were me, though, I'd choose to save the money... even knowing I may have to deal with a 'luggage' situation. (I am cheap!)

I'd move unless you want the pool. DI&S is ever so slightly closer and I thought that it was slightly nicer. But they are so comparable that price would be the most motivating factor for me.

Actually, the *only* problem I've had staying at the Desert Inn & Suites is the luggage storage situation. They have a room of lockers (so you will have to pay in quarters; $1, maybe?) but the issue was that the outside door to the locker room is locked, and they have to 'call' someone to come open it up for you. Both times we waited 5-10 minutes, and then had to walk back in to the front desk and ask if they could call again... and then we waited another 5-10 minutes for them to unlock the door. On another stay there, the lockers were full (we found out after dragging our luggage over there- the hotel staff didn't know.) The front desk was reluctant to hold our luggage but after a polite "well, the lockers are full, and if you would be so kind to help us out... blah blah..." they held it at the front desk for us.

How big are the lockers? Do they fit standard sized luggage or just carry on size?

I'd move unless you want the pool. DI&S is ever so slightly closer and I thought that it was slightly nicer. But they are so comparable that price would be the most motivating factor for me.

LOL, the price is motivating me too. It's not a huge amount cheaper, but it's enough to probably make it worth making a move.

I have stayed many times at Del Sol and they have stored my luggage for me. This trip we are staying at Desert Inn because it was cheaper and I figure any money saved is worth it. We won't be using the pool so that is ok with us. I am a little concerned about the luggage lockers we are only taking carry on bags so they should fit as long as there are empty ones.

When are you going? We leave in about a week and I can let you know what we think.

I have stayed many times at Del Sol and they have stored my luggage for me. This trip we are staying at Desert Inn because it was cheaper and I figure any money saved is worth it. We won't be using the pool so that is ok with us. I am a little concerned about the luggage lockers we are only taking carry on bags so they should fit as long as there are empty ones.

When are you going? We leave in about a week and I can let you know what we think.

We're going at the end of August. Thanks, I appreciate it. :)

We're currently booked at Del Sol, but I can get our dates a little cheaper at Desert Inn. We've never stayed at either so I really have no basis for comparison. Would it be worth it moving over to Desert Inn? There is an issue of needing our bags stored on both our arrival and check out day. Would Desert Inn be better with this? TIA. :)
The DI&S and Tropicana are the ones we choose when not staying on-site.
Tropicana is our choice when I go with grandkids that will use the pool.
Otherwise DI&S is the main one, due to the low nightly rates when booking well in advance.

Rooms have always been clean and I am fine with the beds. The free breakfast is ok..... It's FREE.
Location to Disneyland is the best. We appreciated this at the end of a long day in the parks!

Lockers - The lockers are on the other side of the pool room - restroom.
I have never found the door to the locker room closed or locked. I go to DLR 3 to 5 times a year and have never found all the lockers full.
I think they take $1 to $1.25 in quarters can't really remember.

Our carry-on bags are the max size for the overhead bins on Jet Blue and Alaska Airlines.
Sometimes our carry-on bags are so full it is a tight fit getting them pushed in the overhead space.
The lockers I have used will fit TWO carry-on bags and a small backpack.

Geemo

Our carry-on bags are the max size for the overhead bins on Jet Blue and Alaska Airlines.
Sometimes our carry-on bags are so full it is a tight fit getting them pushed in the overhead space.
The lockers I have used will fit TWO carry-on bags and a small backpack.

Geemo

This is super helpful, thank you!

FYI. The lockers are $1.50. They have change at the front desk. Also, they only fit carry on size (but you can fit 2 inside)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter