• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Decorating advice

jstbcuz

DIS Veteran
I have a a picture (not really picture, but hard molded maybe resin piece) of the Last Supper that was given to my grandparents as a wedding gift. When they passed away, it was given to me. It is something I cherish very much. But..........I dont know what to put with it. We recently took the wall it hung on down to make it a more open concept of a home.........so it found a new home on the opposite wall. This wall is a big wall tho (10 ft long x about 8 ft high) and the piece is 13 inches tall by 25 inches long. Any ideas what to put with it..........I am decorator challenged. :(

I would have posted a picture but wasnt sure how to do that either.

I have a a picture (not really picture, but hard molded maybe resin piece) of the Last Supper that was given to my grandparents as a wedding gift. When they passed away, it was given to me. It is something I cherish very much. But..........I dont know what to put with it. We recently took the wall it hung on down to make it a more open concept of a home.........so it found a new home on the opposite wall. This wall is a big wall tho (10 ft long x about 8 ft high) and the piece is 13 inches tall by 25 inches long. Any ideas what to put with it..........I am decorator challenged. :(

I would have posted a picture but wasnt sure how to do that either.

I'm not sure I'd keep it on that wall. Seems too small for it, even if you found some corresponding pieces to add.

I'd be thinking of other walls that might be a better size, where it could stand alone. Do you have a stairwell....maybe at the top or bottom there? Or your dining room?...I know it would work on a wall I have in mine. Pick it up and move it around your house placing/holding it wherever you find space. You may end up rearranging something you already have in place.

Since it is rectangular, in my mind I could see it with some kind of shelf a few inches below it. Do you have any other dining 'pieces' that could be on that shelf???

I also am thinking that this would be better on a smaller wall, where it would be the focus, instead of, like, lost....

It sounds like a wonderful and cherished piece!!!

I agree with the others -- the wall you have it on now is just too big. Your piece will really stand out if you can find a much smaller wall for it.

Gallery walls are "in" right now. Can you make the piece part of a larger gallery wall?

There are several ideas on Pinterest. Here's one:

http://http://www.pinterest.com/pin/556264991448006088/

Maybe w/ a clock and a Bible verse & even a photo of your grandparents? A decorative plate could work too. You could also pair it w/ a candle sconce that's the same sort of style.

I'm not sure I'd keep it on that wall. Seems too small for it, even if you found some corresponding pieces to add.

I'd be thinking of other walls that might be a better size, where it could stand alone. Do you have a stairwell....maybe at the top or bottom there? Or your dining room?...I know it would work on a wall I have in mine. Pick it up and move it around your house placing/holding it wherever you find space. You may end up rearranging something you already have in place.

That is in the dining room. LOL We had it on a wall that was just the right size but like I said that was the wall we tore down to make it more open. It is the only wall we have open. ;(

You could have it over a piece of furniture such as a server, buffet, or library table to define the space if you want. Unless you think it looks weird, don't worry about the size of the wall.

I like some of the ideas here (shelf, gallery wall, stairwell). But I agree the other wall you first described is too big for it to sit there alone. Another idea is what about on a "stand" on a buffet table in the dining room or something like that. Often that's where family gathers and they'll appreciate it the most.

That is in the dining room. LOL We had it on a wall that was just the right size but like I said that was the wall we tore down to make it more open. It is the only wall we have open. ;(

It's the only open wall, but what about replacing something you already have on another wall?

Yes, I agree with others, the wall is too big to put up your picture, and if you enlarge the photo, I guess the picture quality will lost especially it is an old picture. Maybe find another smaller wall for it or find another bigger picture is a better choice.

Here's what we did with a similar piece:

abendmahl.jpg

abendmahl2.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter