Declining Housekeeping?

They have to move toothbrushes, combs, etc. in order to clean the sink and vanity. When they put them back they do it neatly... putting the toothbrushes in a rolled up washcloth; laying things neatly in line. We want everything exactly where it was. And I’m not running around in the morning putting everything away. Even if I wanted to my husband doesn’t WANT it put away. Blind people want things to be exactly where they left them. And $90 is worth cleaning up on my own in the afternoon. To each their own and that’s why declining housekeeping is an OPTION.

They have to move toothbrushes, combs, etc. in order to clean the sink and vanity. When they put them back they do it neatly... putting the toothbrushes in a rolled up washcloth; laying things neatly in line. We want everything exactly where it was. And I’m not running around in the morning putting everything away. Even if I wanted to my husband doesn’t WANT it put away. Blind people want things to be exactly where they left them. And $90 is worth cleaning up on my own in the afternoon. To each their own and that’s why decking housekeeping is an OPTION.

I can understand your unique situation, and I’m certainly not arguing against the option to decline. My point about declining housekeeping is that I’m not sure why most people do it. If people are doing it because they don’t want strangers in the room, that isn’t guaranteed anywhere, and not at all at a Disney resort, at least since the security checks started. As I recall, the Disney resort security checks began (at least in earnest) after the terrorism incident in Las Vegas.

Regardless of where I’m staying, I’m way too much of a germophobe to be comfortable leaving toiletries out where they can be touched by strangers entering the room—especially toiletries which go in my mouth. Putting those things away takes seconds and brings immeasurable peace of mind to me. I’d do it even if I declined housekeeping, especially knowing that my room could still be entered by a stranger when I’m not there. As for valuables, it’s no different than leaving them in plain sight in your car—it’s a temptation which some folks can’t resist. It shouldn’t happen, but it does, so that’s why things get hidden before we leave the room.

It doesn’t bother me in the slightest what choice anyone else makes with respect to housekeeping, but that and/or the security checks seem to be a constantly recurring controversial topic here. At Disney properties, there doesn’t appear to be an option to keep strangers out of your room, but that’s really not guaranteed at other properties, either.

With respect to the OP’s apparent concern about the risk of exposure to a virus from housekeeping or security, I can’t imagine how it wouldn’t be orders of magnitude less than the risk of exposure from the crowds of people typically found just about everywhere else on property.

Last edited:
I never did get the reasons why folks decline housekeeping, but when we go away we don’t want to make beds or deal with emptying trash or dirty linens. The small financial incentive isn’t worth it for us. We do, however, tidy up our things before we leave the room, so that valuables are not visible and there is no reason for anyone entering the room to touch or move our belongings (especially personal items like toothbrushes, combs, razors, etc.)

Regarding the new coronavirus, I think if we instantly knew how dispersed it has been over the past few months we would be a lot less concerned about it. However, I don’t want to catch any virus, which is one of the reasons that we do the 15 hour drive to Disney every winter instead of spending time packed into airports and airplanes with people during cold and flu season; we are fortunate to have the option to drive. However, I’ve never worried about housekeeping—I believe that they use gloves, and I can’t recall any of our stuff being moved, but as I mentioned before, we clean up after ourselves. You could always take a tub of disinfectant wipes to clean hard surfaces just in case.

Conversely, I don't know why people would want a stranger to come in and touch their stuff. I don't want anyone touching my toothbrush to "clean" under it. Who knows if they just cleaned the toilet right before that and if they changed their gloves. I travel with my own bed sheets so I don't want them making the bed. I also hate how they tuck all of the sheets into the mattress so it is like going into a coffin when you get into the bed. In the past, before I traveled with my sheets, I would have to go around and yank the sheets out from under the mattress every night. I also don't like that they do not use fitted sheets on the mattress. It always ends up bunching up while I sleep since I move a lot while asleep. We make very little mess in our room. And every couple of days, I just take a small bag of trash with me on the walk to the bus stop and drop it in a bin. As for the towels, we hang them back up and ask to have them switched out only after 5 days. We usually stay for almost 2 weeks and that $10/day adds up to quite a few Mickey bars. :) I would also like to add that we like our privacy, as many others do. There is nothing wrong with that. We also leave a very nice tip for mousekeeping at the end of our stay.

If people are doing it because they don’t want strangers in the room, that isn’t guaranteed anywhere, and not at all at a Disney resort, at least since the security checks started.

I feel that there is a big difference between the security looking in the room, and having housekeeping actually touching our stuff.

I have always declined housekeeping, long before there was an incentive. I just don't like people in my room, I am happy to reuse my towels and sheets, as an adult who often travels solo I don't need much service. I have lately booked DVC rentals, which are a great deal and don't come with daily service.

I've seen half eaten trays of food laying in the hallway for way longer then they should of been at the poly
Yes, this is a big detraction and it happens at all the deluxes. I cannot find the pic but it was from a few years ago of our hallway and there literally must have been 20 rooms with trays outside their door. Some had food that fell off onto the floor etc. The rare times we order room service, we just leave it in the room for mousekeeping and they have always taken it.

Yes, this is a big detraction and it happens at all the deluxes. I cannot find the pic but it was from a few years ago of our hallway and there literally must have been 20 rooms with trays outside their door. Some had food that fell off onto the floor etc. The rare times we order room service, we just leave it in the room for mousekeeping and they have always taken it.

I have seen this also. There is no excuse for the resorts to not send out people to pick these up regularly. They know the peak times when people eat. Absolutely no excuse.

If having housekeeping is above your comfort level then that is enough reason to try to say no.

As far as the $10 I would not be surprised if enough people go for it then at some point Disney would eliminate having housekeeping as a standard and say it is due to "customer demand". The rooms would no longer be discounted for going without housekeeping but you would need to pay a premium if you want it. Reduce a service and increase profits. I would feel my own personal guilt trip if I was lucky enough to be running around the parks but was at the same time doing my share to help eliminate jobs for others. OK where is the therapy forum?

I have seen this also. There is no excuse for the resorts to not send out people to pick these up regularly. They know the peak times when people eat. Absolutely no excuse.
The worst part is that they were there for a few days:(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter