Deciding between several hotels- help!

millie0312

DIS Veteran
So we are Disneyland vets if you will- we go every year in the beginning of Dec, however this year our trip was planned last minute (we weren’t sure if we were going to be able to go). We typically have stayed at the BWPPI (basic but close but the cost is too much for what it is now for us) and we prefer the hojo but we feel like the hojo may be a bit too far to walk this year- we have one kiddo in a wheelchair (this is the first year we will have to navigate this) and we typically take afternoon hotel breaks- I know I do not want to walk any further than hojo distance.

Here are my options- anyone stayed at these or several of these and have some thoughts on how they are especially how they are recently. Looking for clean, close walk, Disneyland Harbor budget aka it needs to be under $300 a night but less is better of course haha breakfast is not a thing for us as we rope drop and it never works to grab it anyway, although a nicer pool area would be nice but not a must

Hojo $1034 total
Holiday inn express $1057
Park vue $1399
Camelot $1399
Grand legacy $1059 (for double not queen)
Tropicana $1317
Del sol $1164

I’m also seeing if desert inn will have an opening

Anyone that has some thoughts on what one might be a good bet would be much appreciated as we branch out into some new to us hotel options- Tia!

If you don't want to walk farther than Hojo I'd probably cross the Holiday Inn Express off your list. It's a slightly farther walk than the Hojo, though one less crosswalk to navigate. In other ways, though, it would be a top choice for me (clean, spacious rooms, decent breakfast though I know you said you don't use it. Can still be nice to grab something on the way out the door) so I guess in the end it depends on your priorities.

I'm a fan of the Tropicana for location and cleanliness but the rooms are smaller. Not a fan of the Grand Legacy. Park Vue is decent and certainly great location, but again rooms are a bit smaller and I'd say maybe a small step down on cleanliness- still a great option though.

Have you looked at the Candy Cane Inn? Not sure what rates/availability look like for your dates, obviously, so don't know if it fits your budget.

Last edited:
I am always a fan of Park Vue Inn: friendly staff, rooms are decent, can't beat the walk, no elevators so with a wheelchair make sure to request a ground floor room.

You might also look at The Anaheim Hotel if they are available and within your price range. Not as close as Park Vue but closer than HoJo. Pool area is huge, no slides or anything but big pool. Rooms are a bit dated but they have been fine for me.

We stayed at the Park Vue last year and the short walk was so great! Room was fine.
Request accessible room/ask for ground floor. I don't think there are elevators.

We've also stayed at the Desert Inn several times and for the price, we liked it. But definitely prefer Park Vue over it!

I'm surprised to see that Hojo is the least expensive on your list, but I wouldn't want to push a wheelchair back and forth from there twice a day. The distance would also cross Holiday Inn off the list. I like Tropicana, but the rooms are definitely on the small side, once again thinking of the wheelchair, and fitting it in the room. If you're driving, and you like your car, I'd avoid Del Sol. They use valets and pack cars in 4 deep with just a few inches between them. If Desert Inn was available, I'd avoid it anyway because the elevators are gross (think parking garage) and the walkways are narrow and often blocked by housekeeping carts, which could make navigating the wheelchair frustrating. I've never tried Grand Legacy, but the reviews are mixed.

All things considered, I'd go with Park Vue and request 1st floor. It's been a minute since I've stayed there, but I have fond memories, and the location is just plain unbeatable. I'll be staying there on my next trip in May.

Check the website getawaytoday they have great rates, the only fee not included in their prices is hotel parking

I'm surprised to see that Hojo is the least expensive on your list, but I wouldn't want to push a wheelchair back and forth from there twice a day. The distance would also cross Holiday Inn off the list. I like Tropicana, but the rooms are definitely on the small side, once again thinking of the wheelchair, and fitting it in the room.
Agreed re HOJO and Tropicana comments

@millie0312 Lately, I have seen a ton of good Park Vue reviews. We almost booked our Jan trip there but opted for the BW Plus Anaheim Inn. And like you, we typically stay at the BWPPI but it was more expensive this go around.

A couple of thoughts....
Since this is the first time hot roddin' around with a wheelchair I would pay a little more to be closer to the parks.

You can always send one person in your group (for my fam it is always me, Dad aka the pack mule) to bring breakfast back to the room. We always like to have breakfast before hand so we don't have to spend time eating in the parks during the early morning

I'm surprised to see that Hojo is the least expensive on your list, but I wouldn't want to push a wheelchair back and forth from there twice a day. The distance would also cross Holiday Inn off the list. I like Tropicana, but the rooms are definitely on the small side, once again thinking of the wheelchair, and fitting it in the room. If you're driving, and you like your car, I'd avoid Del Sol. They use valets and pack cars in 4 deep with just a few inches between them. If Desert Inn was available, I'd avoid it anyway because the elevators are gross (think parking garage) and the walkways are narrow and often blocked by housekeeping carts, which could make navigating the wheelchair frustrating. I've never tried Grand Legacy, but the reviews are mixed.

All things considered, I'd go with Park Vue and request 1st floor. It's been a minute since I've stayed there, but I have fond memories, and the location is just plain unbeatable. I'll be staying there on my next trip in May.

Good call about the Desert Inn elevators. They seriously creep me out and was actually one of the reasons we decided to start staying at Park Vue instead. And yep...carts often block walkways.

I'd go with your gut instinct and avoid the Hojo since you're dealing with a wheelchair. I agree with Spaceman5 that this year it might be worth paying a little extra (If possible) to be closer to the parks. Have you looked at Best Western Plus Anaheim Inn? They have rooms in the $329 range, depending on your dates. They are 2 minutes from the crosswalk and have a nice hot breakfast. Comfortable beds.

I stayed at Grand Legacy a year ago. It was basic, but reasonable. Admittedly, it was just me, so a double bed vs a queen wasn't a big issue for me. But if people needed to share beds, that could be a bit tougher. Hubs and I would be much more snuggly than normal in a double, and we would both end up a little crabby more than likely, haha.

For me, walking a few more minutes to save $250 would factor heavily in my decision.... That savings covers several meals or souvenirs!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter