• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

December 29 - January 1st Question

Prettypinkpoppies

Earning My Ears
We are cruising Christmas week and will surprise our girls on Christmas day with a vacation extension to Universal Studios. Our ship docks in Fort Lauderdale on Sunday, December 29th and we plan to drive to Orlando as soon as we get off the ship. I understand that it is a couple hours drive, so we don't plan to be at the Royal Pacific Resort until mid-afternoon. I guess my question is whether I should purchase three day park to park tickets or two days? I have never been to Universal Studios and we plan to spend some time in Harry Potter world. I know we will get the express pass automatically with our hotel stay until January 1st (we will check out and drive home this day so no park time). Are the crowds bad enough that a third day is needed even if it is only a couple of hours in the park Sunday evening? Or would it be better to relax at the hotel that day and then start fresh in the morning? The girls will want wands. How much time should we block off to purchase the wands. We would want to watch the show to get the full experience? Thanks for any advice you can lend.

It will still be busy that time of year, as we went almost the same time, but got off a boat in Miami, and arrived the 28th, until the 31st. We find it cheaper to generally go into Orlando, and yeah, we seem to always want some park fun before or after a cruise. Two years ago, we got off the boat by around 8:00am, and were at the Royal Pacific by around 1pm, as we stopped for lunch before checking in. We hit the parks that day, as I got my family, 4 day tickets, and I have an AP. More time for fun, is always what we look forward to. Even trying to get a late flight back, to have some more park time.

I'd do 3 days, even if you only have the afternoon and evening at the parks the Sunday you arrive. I would think your kids would be so happy to drop their bags and have some park fun, particularly after ending their cruise fun, and being in the car for a few hours. Like Disney, there is not much difference between 2 and 3 day tickets. And yes, get the park to park ones. So easy to move between IOA and the Studios. Plus, you can get a lay of the land that first day, and then get a good night's sleep, and take advantage of the early entry the next day. By the afternoon, the crowds will be there, and even with express, you may see longer lines. If I remember, Mummy was about 50 or so, minutes, as was Kong. And I'd buy the wands that first day too. Time to buy, depends on how long the check out line is. And those Potter stores can be packed, as they are small. Sometimes there are lines for the spells, but everyone seems to be polite, and wait for those in front of them, and generally, there is a team member there to help with the spells. The light show is nice, and to beat the crowds, you may want to view from the bridge. I think I'd save it for your second night, as many wait for it, as the show time gets closer. If you can, near the stage is good, but you need to get there early. They start blocking, to make a path for those not wishing to stop, and get out of the Potter area, a bit before it starts. They may show it more than once,a night, so make sure you check the daily list of what's happening that day.

Have fun, it's a great time of year to be in the parks, as they still have the holiday decorations around.

What a great time for your girls, a cruise, then park fun, before going home. Nice surprise gift.

And yep, we have gifted trips to our kids as they became teens. Now that they are college kids, the vacation time has shifted to after the holidays.

That 3rd day doesn't cost much to add so I would add it. It'll be nice to get wands and just sightsee plus get the lay of the land then hit the parks fresh in the AM. Bonus is that the wand line will probably lower later in the afternoon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter