December 2021 Visit and COVID

CrimsonRave

Mouseketeer
Hey Everyone!

We have a 14 day trip planned this December and wanted to just pose a question to see what everyone thinks. We live in Texas, which is pretty much having the same COVID issues that Florida is having. My wife and I are vaccinated, but our son is not due to being under 12. My question in this, parks are currently at 70% percent, and we know by December they will be 100%. How are you feeling about future trips, or even a recent trip for an extended period of time. We pretty much mask up everywhere, and we only really go grocery shopping, but our son is in school. Just not sure how safe we are starting to feel about this trip....

For every person out there with a different level of risk aversion, you will get a different answer to this question. It's really only something you can decide. I can give you my opinion on my comfort level.

While statistically a child under 12 has a very low risk of serious outcomes from catching the virus, it is not a risk *I* would take with my child. No one can predict how the virus will behave within their body and which side of the statistics you will end up on. I think as time goes by and we learn more about the virus, a lot of the guesswork will go away. I would not get into an even outdoor crowded situation with the current variant. I did not have an issue with outdoor crowding with the previous variant. That's great that you take precautions in your everyday life, but understand that in a huge crowd, if you don't have strict mask compliance, it doesn't really matter what you are doing unless you're wearing N95s and that's probably impossible in the Florida climate.

That you are asking the question, tells me that you probably are uncomfortable with the uptick in cases and how contagious this variant is. Maybe we'll all know a lot more by December and things will have improved by then.

Anyway, I don't claim to know what's safe and what's not--these are just my opinons and how I would handle it.

That is a personal decision only you can make. Who knows what will be happening in Dec. and what Disney's policies will be. I know when I went in April, very few people were vaccinated and it was you have to wear a mask everywhere on site unless standing still and eating or drinking. I felt very safe even though there were those who didn't care about the social markers and felt like wearing a mask under their nose was fine. I was actually in line for PP and a family behind me would not/could not maintain their distance. At point the small child walked up and grabbed my shirt. I would give them a dirty eye every once in awhile and they would move back but right back up they would come. This lasted for about 1/2 hour until the husband came right up next to my shoulder and sneezed on me with his mask off. I didn't get ugly (I'm southern we kill with kindness) but I did ask him very politely to move back and to please turn his head away from everyone next time and put his mask on. So, there is that.

I'm also going in December, and to be perfectly honest, I'm starting to rethink our plans. I was fine with it before this new variant, but now I'm a bit weirded out. My sister and I are both fully vaccinated with no underlying health issues, and I know what to do to be safer. The problem is I don't trust other people to do the right thing also. So. I need to have a heart-to-heart with her and see where we stand. I'm all for postponing the trip until 2022 sometime, but I don't think she is.

Im booked for December also, I did cancel my onsite stay and booked a refundable shorter trip to a partner hotel- saved 1800 bucks and its right next to Disney springs. Waiting to see how things go in the next month or so.

Thankfully you will have some time to figure it out. Everyone has their own opinion on what they consider as safe. Some people will visit, some will not

Yah, and we know that. The issue for us really comes down to safety. We will mask and we will be as safe as possible. But we worry about other people and respect when it comes to that. I know cast members will be great, just not sure about the people attending. Plus the jump to 100% occupancy.

Personally, I wouldn't go. I'm fully vaccinated and so is the rest of my family, but with the variant and break through cases we're just not comfortable traveling. We have a cruise booked for next spring and are just taking the wait and see approach. If things aren't better we're prepared to cancel. There's no way I would travel with an unvaccinated child.

We went this past January, so obviously before any of us were vaccinated, and we were comfortable with that because mitigation measures were in place and being well enforced. I don't know that I'd feel the same now, with the increase in capacity and the changing rules on masking. Who knows what measures, if any, will still be in place and being enforced by December?

I have non-Disney travel plans for this winter that I *think* I'll be comfortable keeping, but that comfort has everything to do with the fact that my whole family and the extended family we're in regular contact with are all fully vaccinated. With an unvaccinated child, at the current case levels, I'd be sticking closer to home or choosing less "peopley" destinations than theme parks (or NYC, which is where we're headed after Christmas).

I just cancelled my plans for October. I'm fully vaxxed and so is my sister, but my worry is that there's some new variant out there that we don't know about yet that can get around the vaccine. We're currently aiming for next May and hoping for the best.

As others have said, at the end of the day it's a decision that only you can make, but an unvaccinated child is vulnerable and people are jerks. Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

Dh & I are both vaccinated and will not go back to Disney until things are much safer (whenever) and we certainly would not take an unvaccinated child under the current circumstances. But, as others have said, this is our decision, and only you can make that call for your family.

Hey Everyone!

We have a 14 day trip planned this December and wanted to just pose a question to see what everyone thinks. We live in Texas, which is pretty much having the same COVID issues that Florida is having. My wife and I are vaccinated, but our son is not due to being under 12. My question in this, parks are currently at 70% percent, and we know by December they will be 100%. How are you feeling about future trips, or even a recent trip for an extended period of time. We pretty much mask up everywhere, and we only really go grocery shopping, but our son is in school. Just not sure how safe we are starting to feel about this trip....
Disney World is a very dangerous place for the unvaccinated to go.

Nope. Vaccinated or unvaccinated, there is no way I would go to WDW or any other tourist destinations.

My Disneyland Birthday trip is until May and I am rethinking it. It is still 8 months away but the way things are right now, I don't think I will feel safe going.

Echoing the others that it might be better to postpone, especially since mitigation measures are minimal or non-existent right now. You won't have a good time if you're constantly worried about staying safe.

It’s a question that only you can answer! Here’s my story. We went in June right after my DS was able to get his first dose of the vaccine (happy Birthday, here’s a shot). We felt pretty safe at that point. Now, with everything happening, I’ve already canceled my Thanksgiving trip with my parents. Even though we’re all vaccinated, my dad’s health is not the best and I don’t trust anyone else to do the right thing.

This summer we decided to push Disneyland to 2023. Disney doesn’t match our personal traveling requirements of traveling non-peak times only, no more than 3 nights stay, option to decline housekeeping, under 5 hours drive time destinations only, room with kitchen or kitchenette, and social distancing achievable for majority of the trip. We’ll reassess the beginning of next year to see if we need to push Disneyland out more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter