****December 2020 Thread****

ugh....kill me now - DH is now wavering again back to us NOT going in December.....DH works in healthcare and is in the hospitals daily and he sees it firsthand and I get his concerns, which at the moment are the flights....and driving is a no-go....

I told him to stop playing with my emotions and make a decision - either we go or not, I just need to know - I'm supposed to be pulling out suitcases today!!

:sad2:
:crazy2:
:headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache:
It's a no win situation with the emotions. I'm doing exactly the same thing trying to decide if it's worth the risk to fly down. While Disney is doing very well, we're only as safe on the plane as the people we'll be sharing the flight with. We have to trust that they're not carriers and will follow the rules, particularly the no masks off when the plane is just on the pavement without the filters running full blast.

It's about trust.

I don't have little kids anymore bue I can see how some folk are worried about theirs keeping the masks on during the flight. Personally, I think they should be allowed to travel with a double sheet over their head like a tent. Allow them to take off the masks while covered as it is effectively the same thing. I know I would have loved it as a kid particularly with an ipad to keep me entertained? Oh yeah.

Last edited:
ugh....kill me now - DH is now wavering again back to us NOT going in December.....DH works in healthcare and is in the hospitals daily and he sees it firsthand and I get his concerns, which at the moment are the flights....and driving is a no-go....

I told him to stop playing with my emotions and make a decision - either we go or not, I just need to know - I'm supposed to be pulling out suitcases today!!

:sad2:
:crazy2:
:headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache:

I know this feeling, only it's me with the back and forth not DH. It is really hard-I know what we are being told we should do, I know what my DS wants me to do, and I know what I want to and feel comfortable doing. Still there is that little nagging voice.

It also doesn't help to watch the news and everything is so bad that I want to just stay in and never go out. And then come here or Youtube, and it seems to be safe enough that I'm comfortable with going and can't wait to get there.

I know this feeling, only it's me with the back and forth not DH. It is really hard-I know what we are being told we should do, I know what my DS wants me to do, and I know what I want to and feel comfortable doing. Still there is that little nagging voice.

It also doesn't help to watch the news and everything is so bad that I want to just stay in and never go out. And then come here or Youtube, and it seems to be safe enough that I'm comfortable with going and can't wait to get there.
My parents both work in healthcare and they’re 100% on board with going, one of them deals with COVID patients daily. And I’m the one that keeps going back and forth. :rolleyes1

My parents both work in healthcare and they’re 100% on board with going, one of them deals with COVID patients daily. And I’m the one that keeps going back and forth. :rolleyes1

In the morning I will get up and go to the grocery, there will be some without a mask, many who won't space correctly, and I'm guessing some that don't follow the guidelines with handwashing and hand sanitizer. And it will be worse when I have to make the dreaded Wal-Mart run. I know that I follow all of the protocols and I know that Disney is doing the best that it can and is way ahead of the local grocery and definitely wal-mart. And I'm guessing that most folks that go to Disney are doing their best to follow the rules. That leaves the getting to the bubble and back the most dangerous part. We will have 14 days between our return date and any holiday functions we are doing with our adult kids, so in that way I feel safe.

In my mind I make it work , lol.

Specifically talking to those people who are out of state and have to fly or drive to the World.

Are you still going as planned? How are you feeling generally?

From Minnesota and we are driving, still going as planned for arriving at WDW on Nov. 29th. I am a bit nervous about the increase of capacity and Disney Spring being so crowded but okay other than that.
We were already going to drive when we booked last year but now I am glad we are because I don't feel comfortable with planes right now. We have decided to take extra precautions while driving since Covid came out and are planning on sleeping in the car instead of getting a hotel (making a bed in my car and everything!), bringing own food so no stops at restaurants, will try to combine gas stops with potty breaks so those will be our only stops.

From Minnesota and we are driving, still going as planned for arriving at WDW on Nov. 29th. I am a bit nervous about the increase of capacity and Disney Spring being so crowded but okay other than that.
We were already going to drive when we booked last year but now I am glad we are because I don't feel comfortable with planes right now. We have decided to take extra precautions while driving since Covid came out and are planning on sleeping in the car instead of getting a hotel (making a bed in my car and everything!), bringing own food so no stops at restaurants, will try to combine gas stops with potty breaks so those will be our only stops.
Very smart if you can do it. Please be careful of those restrooms (inside of the Disney bubble too).
I looked into renting an RV but a 1200 mile drive is not one I can manage on my own.

Very smart of you can do it. Please be careful of those restrooms (inside of the Disney bubble too).
I looked into renting an RV but a 1200 mile drive is not one I can manage on my own.
Thank you. We are fortunate enough to be able to space the vacation days to be in between weekends so we can have enough time to drive.
Thanks for the bathroom warning :)
Yeah and the cost of an RV rentals seems like it could be quite costly. I have a 2008 Honda Fit, so there is just enough room in the back to sleep if the back passenger seats are fully folded down.

We planned this trip months ago to arrive back on the 23 so we can be home for my family’s Christmas celebration on the 24. I had no idea that all this would still be going on. Now, my sister has decided it won’t be safe for us to get together. She’s probably right, but my mom is heart broken and I just can’t get excited about the trip.

Does anyone know if you can purchase a gingerbread shingle that the Grand Floridian typically sells during the holiday season?

"Glad" to see we aren't the only ones whose plans are up in the air.

We all discussed and agreed that we'd go on the trip, so we paid off our balance 30 days out. Now, with the increase in cases, it turns out that half our group didn't have a backup plan. Half of them planned on flying down, going to WDW, flying back, and immediately going back to work the next day :crazy2:. They're concerned now with the increase in cases that they might contract something.

Leaves my husband, myself, and my MIL frustrated because all three of us had backup plans in place way beforehand (2 week quarantine upon return for us, negative COVID tests for MIL). I told my husband I think we should go regardless. He's in dental school and only gets off about 3 weeks in the year, 2 of those being around the holidays. Trying to coordinate another family vacation in the future if we postpone this one would be a mess. Plus our entire trip was paid for in GCs, so if we cancel, we have $3k in gift cards we'll be "stuck" with.

Specifically talking to those people who are out of state and have to fly or drive to the World.

Are you still going as planned? How are you feeling generally?

Things are pretty up in the air for us, but I'm pretty set on going. We're flying down from PA. We'll quarantine a week before our trip, and also are quarantining for 2 weeks after our trip. So our chances of spreading it to anyone are extremely low, we're really only putting ourselves at risk with traveling. But as I said above, this was supposed to be an extended family trip with the in-laws, so I think my husband is more wishy-washy solely because he wants to go with the larger group.

its funny you mentioned watching the news - that's exactly what we were doing the other night when DH almost had a meltdown about us not going. Honestly, I think we had almost forgotten, but "forgotten" is NOT the right word, but for almost 2 weeks when mostly all you saw on the news was the election and NOT COVID, it slipped to the back of our minds, and then its like the news/reporters came at us full force will all covid, all the time and it freaked him out a little (ok a lot... :headache:)

I think DH has calmed down (for now) and I told him that I needed him to decide either way bc this back and forth was driving me nuts. So I haven't mentioned it and neither has he, and we've skirted around the topic and lightly mentioned it in a few conversations and it appears we're still going....for now!

I pulled out the suitcases this past weekend and they're laid out on the guest bed and he walked by the bedroom and I saw him look at them - and I was half expecting him to say..."You might as well put those away bc we're not going" but he didnt...

we leave in just over 2 weeks - so I'm assuming in the next week a final decision will be made (by DH) - I mean, its not like the COVID #s are going to get better over the next 2 weeks - with Thanksgiving they'll actually get worse, and we're not seeing any family this year, just the 3 of us who are in this house and who are going to Disney together!

AND......I knew better than to make a comment, but the news were reporting how air travel does appear to be decreasing and I was thinking "GOOD - fewer people on the plane!" but I didn't think DH would appreciate that comment so I kept it to myself!

:rolleyes2 :rolleyes2

phew..this was a long post!!

:rotfl2:

its funny you mentioned watching the news - that's exactly what we were doing the other night when DH almost had a meltdown about us not going. Honestly, I think we had almost forgotten, but "forgotten" is NOT the right word, but for almost 2 weeks when mostly all you saw on the news was the election and NOT COVID, it slipped to the back of our minds, and then its like the news/reporters came at us full force will all covid, all the time and it freaked him out a little (ok a lot... :headache:)

I think DH has calmed down (for now) and I told him that I needed him to decide either way bc this back and forth was driving me nuts. So I haven't mentioned it and neither has he, and we've skirted around the topic and lightly mentioned it in a few conversations and it appears we're still going....for now!

I pulled out the suitcases this past weekend and they're laid out on the guest bed and he walked by the bedroom and I saw him look at them - and I was half expecting him to say..."You might as well put those away bc we're not going" but he didnt...

we leave in just over 2 weeks - so I'm assuming in the next week a final decision will be made (by DH) - I mean, its not like the COVID #s are going to get better over the next 2 weeks - with Thanksgiving they'll actually get worse, and we're not seeing any family this year, just the 3 of us who are in this house and who are going to Disney together!

AND......I knew better than to make a comment, but the news were reporting how air travel does appear to be decreasing and I was thinking "GOOD - fewer people on the plane!" but I didn't think DH would appreciate that comment so I kept it to myself!

:rolleyes2 :rolleyes2

phew..this was a long post!!

:rotfl2:
The news is a curse and a blessing. Your husband would be best off with weather reports and the Dis for the next short while. ;)
It sounds like he needs this break as much as you do. Stick to your plan, bring plenty of your own wipes and sanitizers, keep them at the ready not just to do the cleaning but to keep your DH happy (I hate to make the comparison, but it would be like a security blanket). Pack a small ziplock of them in your bag each day as you go to the parks or DS.

Relax and rest assured that if you're not comfortable with the park situation the resorts are wonderful to tour too.

I know you'll be fine. Enjoy your trip!

We are going next week for the first time. We usually cruise, so this will be a new experience for all of us. Our flight arrives at 9:50 on Tuesday and we will be going to Disney Springs later that night with my cousin and her wife. It should be super fun!

I get why people are hesitant. After talking to my cousin it seems that Disney is safer than my school right now. My DS and I have both been exposed (never caught it) several times this year. I’ll enter the Disney bubble and keep doing what I’ve been doing at work.

The news is a curse and a blessing. Your husband would be best off with weather reports and the Dis for the next short while. ;)
It sounds like he needs this break as much as you do. Stick to your plan, bring plenty of your own wipes and sanitizers, keep them at the ready not just to do the cleaning but to keep your DH happy (I hate to make the comparison, but it would be like a security blanket). Pack a small ziplock of them in your bag each day as you go to the parks or DS.

Relax and rest assured that if you're not comfortable with the park situation the resorts are wonderful to tour too.

I know you'll be fine. Enjoy your trip!

He and I went in October and it was great! We flew and he was fine and I did wipe down all the plane "parts" and he even thought Disney was great and clean so I feel if we can just "get there" then he'll be FINE!

:rolleyes1

We did use all the hand sanitizer and wipes, we ate at sit down, inside TS restaurants too and thought Disney was doing a great job - I just think that will all the renewed heavy reporting of COVID (which I understand!!) it's just causing him to second guess...

Perhaps I could block out the news for the next 2 weeks?? :rolleyes2:rolleyes2

He and I went in October and it was great! We flew and he was fine and I did wipe down all the plane "parts" and he even thought Disney was great and clean so I feel if we can just "get there" then he'll be FINE!

We did use all the hand sanitizer and wipes, we ate at sit down, inside TS restaurants too and thought Disney was doing a great job - I just think that will all the renewed heavy reporting of COVID (which I understand!!) it's just causing him to second guess...

It's the news. Hey, my mom cancelled Thanksgiving on us because of the over the top reporting on the news... I get it, they want people to be careful but sensationalism will not make those who won't follow the guidelines suddenly wake up.

BTW... I am not exposed to anyone with the virus and we were bringing all the food to her.

Your husband sounds like me! We leave Friday and I'm still not on the "let's go!" wagon. We have to because of a DVC rental that we got last year, silly me thinking this wouldn't get as bad as it has. I think once I get there I'll be slightly okay but I don't know being around people is really freaking me out these days.

Well my DH announced Saturday that he decided he was joining DS8 and I on our Dec 4th-10th trip. o_O
I was scrambling to add him to everything. Actually the plus side of no FPs. :)
Got him added to all our plans, OI meetup, and even sitting with us on plane.
He rarely goes to WDW these days, been "one too many times".(not a true fan like me :earsgirl:)
DS8 and I are excited to take him to our new fav meals and the latest rides he hasn't been on. Just when I thought the stress of obtaining a BG was behind me...:scared:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter