• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

December 2019? Will I regret it?

disneydacey

Gettin' my Disney fix since 86'
I have always taken my trips in October/November. But this last year my husband and I were increasingly aggravated with the food and wine festival crowds. Tons of drunk, very badly behaving adults. We decided we’d like to try December so we booked December 12-21, 2019. I’m starting to second-guess myself. I know that it’s going to be right before Christmas so the crowds in general could be a little bit worse. I’m just hoping that it wont be so much worse that we will be mad at ourselves for changing from the fall. Also a little bit concerned about the weather. We really do enjoy pool time in the afternoon and I’m hoping it’s not going to be too cold

Not at all being snarky, but you'll only regret it if you walk in with that fear or attitude. If you walk in with the holiday spirit and some patience you'll have a wonderful time. We really enjoyed Xmas at WDW both times we did it. Yes, it's crowded, but it's a fun and festive atmosphere. There are long lines, so you'll want to take advantage of FP+, have reservations if you're going to do sit down restaurants, use mobile ordering for QS places (we bring our own food in, but I know these are tips people use). It's a lot of fun.

As for the weather, that's completely hit or miss. We don't like a cold WDW either. When we were there for Xmas 2015, it was literally 82 on Xmas Day, which was awesome. In 2017, it was in the 40s and 50s most of that week, and misty/rainy a few times. Not fun. But you can't control that.

Sorry about the issues you have during food and wine. We've never gone than and never would, mostly for that reason. We're completely non-drinkers, so it would be a major turn off for us. I don't get the appeal of drinking and walking around drunk.

The Christmas spirit will make this trip magical. Crowds shouldn't be too bad they start building up after 12/21 but this year GE will open up so that may change things. Weather will be a bit more hit or miss then Oct Nov but you should see your share of nice weather.

Good Luck.

Totally get why you avoid F&W now, I do too for the same reasons. It will be crowded, but it's a great time to go, and you are close enough to Christmas to actually be in the Christmas mood lol. Just plan your FP's out, and also realize you'll probably be contending with the crowd flooding to Star Wars. Also, yeah, the weather isn't predictable at that time of year, so plan for each scenario lol. Have a great trip, I love that time of year in Dis!

It will be very busy but also very exciting. We did a week before Christmas 2018 and are going to do the same week this year. You won't get as much done but you will have a great time.

Thank you everyone for you thoughts. I have been to WDW 20+ times so I am not worried about missing some things. Just hoping its not so crowded in comparison to fall.

The crowds were rough on our visit this year 12/6-12/12 but nothing like on our last day which were horrible. Wee were thrilled as we walked out of the gates of MK after a quick morning there. I think with Christmas crowds and SW:GE opening sometime that month possibly/probably/maybe it's going to be insane honestly. That is not enjoyable to me personally.

We've gone the week before Christmas a few times and you will find the crowds will build as the days get closer to Christmas. We left the Saturday before Christmas on both trips and we were really glad to get out! With the upcoming opening of SWGE in "late fall" it is quite possible the crowds will be even bigger this year. IMHO, I wouldn't go into this December trip thinking the crowds will be less than what you experienced during F&W.

With SWGE and Christmas approaching, that week of Dec will definitely have higher crowds than most of Oct/Nov. As long as you avoid evenings/weekends at EPCOT, F&W has never been a problem for us. Based on weather and crowds, Dec seems a safer bet. But, you probably shouldn't listen to me... because of scheduling limitations, we will be there the week of Christmas, which will no doubt have the worst crowds of the year! Have fun either way.

I don't think I would regret it any time of year except the week after Christmas and maybe right around Easter. I am planning to go back in October myself, and don't find the Food & Wine crowds that bad (or much different). We were just in Epcot Sunday evening, and I remarked to DH that there are always groups of drunk people there, especially around the UK section. Christmas time is very nice and festive.

We've gone the past 9/10 Christmases and don't have a single regret. We've dealt with the craziest crowds between Christmas and New Year's Day. You'll be fine if you go in knowing what to expect and make the best of it. The time you mentioned is a bit less crowded and chaotic than Christmas week. You'll have (most likely) free dining during that time, but it doesn't pick up until the 22nd or 23rd, and by then you'll be gone.

Go. Enjoy the decorations. Don't worry about the rides and wait times as much as seeing something you can't see any other time of the year. I always say: getting a photo in front of Cinderella Castle is great, but when you look back, you can't tell the difference between August or May. Getting a photo of Cinderella Castle drenched in icicle lighting is a unique photo you can't get any other time. Seeing the gingerbread displays—hearing the Christmas music. Man, there's nothing like it. We sank so much money into those trips but it was such an amazing experience.

The decor during December is amazing.
All the parks will be busy due to overflow from HS.
I would avoid HS and enjoy the other parks.

I have always taken my trips in October/November. But this last year my husband and I were increasingly aggravated with the food and wine festival crowds. Tons of drunk, very badly behaving adults. We decided we’d like to try December so we booked December 12-21, 2019. I’m starting to second-guess myself. I know that it’s going to be right before Christmas so the crowds in general could be a little bit worse. I’m just hoping that it wont be so much worse that we will be mad at ourselves for changing from the fall. Also a little bit concerned about the weather. We really do enjoy pool time in the afternoon and I’m hoping it’s not going to be too cold

I think some of the other tips about expecting it, it is what it is and being patient will help with the holiday crowds. Weather is such a toss up, it could be 80 or 45 but the same holds for November. We were there Nov. 14-18 this past year and most days it got to around 70 but one day was a rogue warm day and it hit 85. Lows were 50's at night. Crowds at these dates were overall pretty good. I would rank them at a 5-7 most days. Busy but not insane. Dec. 12-21 will be much more crowded but if you plan your days, hit the parks early, plan your meals/FP+, you can mitigate some of the crowd level, but certainly not all of it.

We just went the week before Christmas last year and it was wonderful, Disney is magical at Christmas !!! The week before is no way near as crowded as Christmas week itself. I would say it was a much better experience overall than during F&W times, which I agree are becoming chaotic. We have not gone during F&W in a while because of the madness. Don't worry at all it will be great.

I go around that time every year, and have a trip already booked for this year. I also don’t enjoy the F&W behavior. In December it is not as hot and the holiday season seems to make the crowds more tolerable somehow. Depending on when SWGE opens, I may or may not go to DHS on that trip, but I don’t always visit every park on every trip anyway. That’s one way I keep things “fresh” with four trips per year. I may spend a lot of time at Epcot, since I am staying at Pop and the gondola should be open by then. I will like entering the park right into WS.

I always plan out my fastpasses and I try to be organized with my touring plan. Hopefully I will be ok. Any day in Disney is a good day!!

Not at all being snarky, but you'll only regret it if you walk in with that fear or attitude. If you walk in with the holiday spirit and some patience you'll have a wonderful time. We really enjoyed Xmas at WDW both times we did it. Yes, it's crowded, but it's a fun and festive atmosphere. There are long lines, so you'll want to take advantage of FP+, have reservations if you're going to do sit down restaurants, use mobile ordering for QS places (we bring our own food in, but I know these are tips people use). It's a lot of fun.

As for the weather, that's completely hit or miss. We don't like a cold WDW either. When we were there for Xmas 2015, it was literally 82 on Xmas Day, which was awesome. In 2017, it was in the 40s and 50s most of that week, and misty/rainy a few times. Not fun. But you can't control that.

Sorry about the issues you have during food and wine. We've never gone than and never would, mostly for that reason. We're completely non-drinkers, so it would be a major turn off for us. I don't get the appeal of drinking and walking around drunk.

I don't think you are snarky. I get it. I am a chronic overplanner and the unknown is a freaking me out a little!

We usually go the second week of December, but we're doing September this year because we don't want to deal with the SWGE crowds. The December crowds have been getting worse over the past few years even without Star Wars. We were in MK on 12/15 last year and it was so uncomfortably crowded that we basically ran out of there after our ADR instead of trying to stay for HEA.

We usually go the second week of December, but we're doing September this year because we don't want to deal with the SWGE crowds. The December crowds have been getting worse over the past few years even without Star Wars. We were in MK on 12/15 last year and it was so uncomfortably crowded that we basically ran out of there after our ADR instead of trying to stay for HEA.

SWGE is opening August 29th

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter