• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

dec crowd levels???

dsanner106

DIS Veteran
I am trying to plan for our first visit to DL, next december. Can
anyone tell me what the crowd levels are like from Dec 16-23??

thanks
Drew in Ga

IMO December is the best time to go to Disneyland - I love to see the park decorated for Christmas, it really puts you in the holiday spirit. If it's anything like this year, expect the crowds to be heavy during that time you're planning on going.

That would be the first week of winter break, which, while crowded, is nothing like the second week of winter break, which is the most crowded week of the year. I went on Dec 21, and found it to be like a typical summer day crowd-wise. Meaning, yes, there were a lot of people there, but it's managable so long as you know what you're doing (i.e. you know how to work the DL FP system, which is different that WDW's, plan right, etc...).

We went the 19th-23rd with a three day park hopper pass. I should have gotten a 4 day park hopper and stayed another day. Other than that, this board saved me a ton of headache... with learning about fastpasses and rides that fill up when, EE and Toontown Morning Maddess. I was able to do most everything on my list. I did write out a schedule for each day and it worked great. Especially when I was dealing with a 3 1/2 yr old son, amongst meeting up with the rest of our party of 5.
If you don't care about kids missing school, and still want the Christmas feeling, I would go in the beginning of November instead, hotel and airline rates are cheaper ;).

If CA stays consistent (always a gamble!) that should be the first week of the students' winter break. Because DL draws SO MUCH MORE of a local crowd than WDW, this has a greater affect on attendance in California than Florida.

If you don't mind serious crowds (Saturdays are always bad and it will get more crowded the closer you get to Christmas), don't mind park-hopping and leaving to return to the hotel if it gets too crowded, understand how to work the FastPass sytem (a little different at DL than WDW), and would be OK with more "experiences" than "rides" I think it can be done. A lot depends on your family and their tolerances for the above. Oh, and can your family manage to get to the gates BEFORE the park opens? "GO EARLY" can't be emphasized enough! That's true on any day, but holiday times make it that much more critical.

Just my two cents.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter