Debt Dumpers 2024

I'm one of those that will throw away as soon as the date on the package hits. For milk, I will usually only drink it for about 3-4 days after I buy it (it may not expire for a week, but I"m not drinking it that long). But as far as canned goods, rice, chips, crackers, if it's past the date, I WILL NOT use it. It goes in the trash. Even stuff like mayo, jelly, biscuts, that type of stuff. If past date, it's getting trashed.

i watched the video-she has some good practices. i like that she talked about how the dates on products are not nesc. accurate to how long they are usable for. so many products have dates that are 'best by' that people believe they have to toss at when they are still usable for upwards of a year or more (canned and jarred goods in particular) with no real impact on the quality. the usda has charts online that show categories of canned goods that will be fine for 1.5-5 years if unopened o_O that's where much of my big savings are-if it's a GREAT deal i stock up on what i know i will use.

In the UK we have Use By dates on things that can spoil to a dangerous level (fresh meat, dairy products being the main examples) and Best Before for things that will be safe for a lot longer but there may be a change in colour or taste after the given date.

There is a big push to make sure people understand the difference between them and to review how appropriate they are. Many stores have switched from Use By to Best Before for milk, and recommend people go for the sniff test - smell it before using, if it smells off bin it, if it smells OK taste a little bit. But at the same time there is a recognition that some people such as the elderly, young or in some way poorly, need to be more careful.

Every now and then I will have a cupboard clear out in the kitchen and see what is there and try to run things down a bit to ensure better stock rotation. This always seems to turn up something with a best before date that has long elapsed. It generally goes in the bin if it is more than two years - if I haven't wanted to use it in it's shelf life plus that long (so potentially 5 or 6 years) it probably isn't ever going to get used. And there always seems to be a tin of fruit that I can't ever remember purchasing and something like tinned sardines. Neither of us ever eat tinned fish, so I have no idea how they have ended up in the kitchen in the first place.

The running down of stocks can sometimes go awry though - the other day DH was going to make some hummus but the tin of chickpeas (I think you call them garbanzo beans?) turned out to be tin of chicken soup with a "serving suggestion" picture! Not helpful.

I'm one of those that will throw away as soon as the date on the package hits. For milk, I will usually only drink it for about 3-4 days after I buy it (it may not expire for a week, but I"m not drinking it that long). But as far as canned goods, rice, chips, crackers, if it's past the date, I WILL NOT use it. It goes in the trash. Even stuff like mayo, jelly, biscuts, that type of stuff. If past date, it's getting trashed.
I am like this. I do keep milk until the date but I use the sniff test every time I use it. I also make my husband smell it to make sure. Anything else with a date gets tossed once it hits the date except for dried spices. My husband hates that I do this because he says it says Best by or sell by not expired on. But I do the cleaning out so it is up to me.

If we have any canned or box goods that are close to the date (like a month out) I will take them to the Panty in town (it is a little wooden box where people can add food or goods and if you need something you can grab it. No one monitors it so people in need tend to get food from their more). I know it gets used pretty fast when I so this.

I am like this. I do keep milk until the date but I use the sniff test every time I use it. I also make my husband smell it to make sure. Anything else with a date gets tossed once it hits the date except for dried spices. My husband hates that I do this because he says it says Best by or sell by not expired on. But I do the cleaning out so it is up to me.

If we have any canned or box goods that are close to the date (like a month out) I will take them to the Panty in town (it is a little wooden box where people can add food or goods and if you need something you can grab it. No one monitors it so people in need tend to get food from their more). I know it gets used pretty fast when I so this.

We do the for some stuff. Really it depends on what it is how far past the date I'll still use it. Some just don't taste good even if it's ok past its date.

Some chips aren't good and M&Ms I try to always look at the date before I buy them because even if it's the month they don't always taste as good. Fine I won't get sick but if I'm eating something I want it to taste good or it's just a waste of calories.

I'm one of those that will throw away as soon as the date on the package hits. For milk, I will usually only drink it for about 3-4 days after I buy it (it may not expire for a week, but I"m not drinking it that long).

you would hate our habits on dairy b/c we buy milk and some other items that may not be opened for a month or two. sounds gross? not so much b/c the big dairy in our region ultrapasturizes so the milk i bought at the end of january does'nt have an expiration date until mid march, the sour cream i bought this week is good until april. stuff tends to get used long before the dates but since i aim for only 1 grocery shop per month (unless i see a sale i want to hit) it keeps us from running to grab 'just some milk' and impulsing buying more.

Every now and then I will have a cupboard clear out in the kitchen and see what is there and try to run things down a bit to ensure better stock rotation

i do this as well but i've started saving time by having a sharpie at the ready when i get home from the store-dry goods i write BIG on the side i can see when i open cabinets with the use by dates, same with jars of mayo and such that have shorter shelf lives.

We use canned goods and almond/coconut/soy milk long after the best by dates. In fact, we have a grocery liquidator near us that sells food (mostly canned goods, chips, cookies, snacks, etc.) near their expiration dates that we buy at a large discount. We've never gotten sick from anything out of date.

Last edited:
We use canned goods and almond/coconut/soy milk long after the best by dates. In fact, we have a grocery liquidator near us that sells food (mostly canned goods, chips, cookies, snacks, etc.) near their expiration dates that we buy at a large discount. We've never gotten sick from anything out of date.

Our discount store just went thru an ownership change and they completely redid it. It's amazing now and includes a ton of fresh fruit/veggies/meat at insanely discounted prices. I haven't been down in a while and I need to get back there and stock up on some stuff.

On a related note, we made brownies that were past "best by" date by almost a year. They were delicious. Lol. And I often make pasta or rice that's beyond the date. What are they gonna do? Dry out more? 🤷‍♀️ But I am super weird with leftovers. If it's been more than 2 nights I get super sketchy with eating them.

Weekly update:
Didn't pay much of anything on anything this week as rent was due. Had something to do every single night, so we ate out more this week than we had all year long, I think. But went to the grocery store yesterday, so we should be able to get back on track eating at home and taking lunches this week.

I wasn't able to pay on our credit card this week, so that payment will be considered late. I'll just make it up next time I get paid in 2 weeks. So that's a negative. But with rent due, the last week of the month and first week of the next month is always tight. I need to call the CC company and see if they'll let me move the payments to the middle of the month instead of the beginning.

Also, I did notice the loan company (the one with the 500+ APR) took our payment out on Saturday instead of Friday. I know it's supposed to come out Friday. We refinanced it a couple of weeks ago and set up a Friday payment so we could get back on track. So I'm curious since it was them taking it out a day late if it's going to be considered late. If it's considered late, we're going to be right back on the issue we had before where our payments were only going to late payment fees. I'm going to call them tomorrow to make sure we're not charged a late fee. If we are, and it's their fault, I'm not sure what I can do.

So not much positive this week. I guess you have those weeks sometimes. On a positive note, we did get the rent paid for another month, bought groceries to get back to start taking our lunches and cooking at home again. And our car wasn't low on oil even though we were told it had an oil leak. Also, and most importantly, we get our taxes done this week. So when that comes in, I'm going to try and talk my wife into paying off that big, nasty loan instead of just blowing it or booking another trip to Disney (it's what she's wanted to do the last 2 years).

Weekly update:
Didn't pay much of anything on anything this week as rent was due. Had something to do every single night, so we ate out more this week than we had all year long, I think. But went to the grocery store yesterday, so we should be able to get back on track eating at home and taking lunches this week.

I wasn't able to pay on our credit card this week, so that payment will be considered late. I'll just make it up next time I get paid in 2 weeks. So that's a negative. But with rent due, the last week of the month and first week of the next month is always tight. I need to call the CC company and see if they'll let me move the payments to the middle of the month instead of the beginning.

Also, I did notice the loan company (the one with the 500+ APR) took our payment out on Saturday instead of Friday. I know it's supposed to come out Friday. We refinanced it a couple of weeks ago and set up a Friday payment so we could get back on track. So I'm curious since it was them taking it out a day late if it's going to be considered late. If it's considered late, we're going to be right back on the issue we had before where our payments were only going to late payment fees. I'm going to call them tomorrow to make sure we're not charged a late fee. If we are, and it's their fault, I'm not sure what I can do.

So not much positive this week. I guess you have those weeks sometimes. On a positive note, we did get the rent paid for another month, bought groceries to get back to start taking our lunches and cooking at home again. And our car wasn't low on oil even though we were told it had an oil leak. Also, and most importantly, we get our taxes done this week. So when that comes in, I'm going to try and talk my wife into paying off that big, nasty loan instead of just blowing it or booking another trip to Disney (it's what she's wanted to do the last 2 years).
Most major credit card companies are ok with letting people change their due date once in a while. You can probably do that online.
I agree 100% that any tax refund should go toward the nasty loan. That is highway robbery! Stop the hemorrhage.
Remind her that Disney World/Land will still be there and would be MUCH more enjoyable for both of you when your debt is paid off. Just be clear and consistent that debt paydown is your goal every time the conversation comes up about spending money for a WANT. Anything that is a NEED of course you still must spend.

Weekly update:

The interest you are paying on that loan could help pay for a debt-free Disney trip sooner. Your wife needs to start being an adult and making hard, adult decisions instead of an impulsive, spoiled child. She sounds like Veruca Salt: “I want it NOW!”

I have not posted any goals for the year since we only have a car loan and a mortgage. We pay the credit cards off each month. We do need to get much better at not eating out as much.

We are also working on teaching our kids (DS almost 18 and DD 16) about budgeting and saving. DD usually does great with this. She never wants to spend her money. DS on the other hand it is a struggle. He did take honors economics this year and loved it. He really got into all the investing stuff. This is where I lack knowledge. I just don't get it. I think he will be better at investing and doing it earlier then the rest of us.

This weekend DH and I out of nowhere started talking about taking a cruise this year for our 20th anniversary. Since we did 2 vacations last year and with DS going off to college and DD the year after, we had decided not to take a vacation this summer. On a walk DH and I are both struggling with going. One it would be just the 2 of us. DS will be at college and DD will technically still be in high school but will be taking all college classes. She would be left home with having both grandparents checking in with her and the owner of the horse barn that she spends most of her time at (she takes lessons and works their) making sure she is doing good. The other struggle is that this is a want and not a need and we are trying to save money to buy a new house. We just have not been able to pull the trigger yet. With our calculations if we fly to the port we will be under $3000 for the trip. We are looking at either a 4 or 5 day so nothing too long.

Should we really be doing this? It was really an impulse thought and is gaining some legs quickly.

I know you said that creating a budget wasn't going to be possible at the moment, but creating a diary of what is due when might be a start, at least then you would be able to work out how to allocate any funds you have available and spot pinch points and prioritise making payments to avoid late fees etc. That is a little step in the direction of getting straighter that shouldn't alarm your wife too much.

You aren't going to be able to access better interest rates etc until you get your credit score under control and that isn't going to happen until you have no late payments, defaults or other similar issues.

And definitely make sure you are on top of the "legal loan shark" loan - you don't want to give them any excuse to apply a fee, it feels like they are very good at writing contracts that benefit them HUGELY! In the UK there was a huge backlash against similar companies a few years ago and a number went under when they were prosecuted under unfair contract terms legislation and other similar abuse of power type rules. The unexpected consequence has been a growth in illegal money lenders as some people have found it harder to access legitimate credit. This has led to national awareness campaigns around what a loan shark is and how to report them to the police.

I have not posted any goals for the year since we only have a car loan and a mortgage. We pay the credit cards off each month. We do need to get much better at not eating out as much.

We are also working on teaching our kids (DS almost 18 and DD 16) about budgeting and saving. DD usually does great with this. She never wants to spend her money. DS on the other hand it is a struggle. He did take honors economics this year and loved it. He really got into all the investing stuff. This is where I lack knowledge. I just don't get it. I think he will be better at investing and doing it earlier then the rest of us.

This weekend DH and I out of nowhere started talking about taking a cruise this year for our 20th anniversary. Since we did 2 vacations last year and with DS going off to college and DD the year after, we had decided not to take a vacation this summer. On a walk DH and I are both struggling with going. One it would be just the 2 of us. DS will be at college and DD will technically still be in high school but will be taking all college classes. She would be left home with having both grandparents checking in with her and the owner of the horse barn that she spends most of her time at (she takes lessons and works their) making sure she is doing good. The other struggle is that this is a want and not a need and we are trying to save money to buy a new house. We just have not been able to pull the trigger yet. With our calculations if we fly to the port we will be under $3000 for the trip. We are looking at either a 4 or 5 day so nothing too long.

Should we really be doing this? It was really an impulse thought and is gaining some legs quickly.

If it can fit into the budget I would do it. It sounds like you have a plan in place and you know how your daughter will do with it. It also sounds like you are in a good spot financially. We can't live only doing the needs when we're able to financially support the wants without hurting the needs.

Another way to look at it. Will you feel guilty the whole time you're gone and worry about what's happening at home or will you be able to enjoy the time. Also if you decide not to go will you get to those dates and regret that you aren't on the cruise.

Weekly update:

I’m struggling with not wanting to berate you, but there’s some hard truths that I think you to need to hear:

If you have so little emergency funds that you had to take out an $800 loan at that insane rate… if you can’t even make the minimum payment on your credit card debt when you have a rough month (and yes, we all have rough months, times when we may need to deplete that emergency fund)….if there’s a chance that car repairs are looming in your future…
You shouldn’t be going to Disney. You probably shouldn’t be going anywhere, but especially Disney, because it is not a cheap destination no matter how you try and slice it.

Get out from the loan shark loan. Get an emergency savings started. Eat pasta, beans, and other inexpensive foods. Sell some things. Consider a second job or a side hustle.

Don’t get me wrong, we all have months when the sky is falling. But if you can get a little emergency fund saved, things going wrong hopefully won’t wreck you and cause you to miss due dates.

I also say that it seems like you guys are in a good position and if you have the funds/time you should book it. You only get to celebrate your 20th anniversary once and you only live once. The trip may be just what you guys need to feel refreshed and ready to tackle when your DD goes to college. It also sounds like you're already leaning towards taking the trip. I vote yes :)

I’m struggling with not wanting to berate you, but there’s some hard truths that I think you to need to hear:

If you have so little emergency funds that you had to take out an $800 loan at that insane rate… if you can’t even make the minimum payment on your credit card debt when you have a rough month (and yes, we all have rough months, times when we may need to deplete that emergency fund)….if there’s a chance that car repairs are looming in your future…
You shouldn’t be going to Disney. You probably shouldn’t be going anywhere, but especially Disney, because it is not a cheap destination no matter how you try and slice it.

Get out from the loan shark loan. Get an emergency savings started. Eat pasta, beans, and other inexpensive foods. Sell some things. Consider a second job or a side hustle.

Don’t get me wrong, we all have months when the sky is falling. But if you can get a little emergency fund saved, things going wrong hopefully won’t wreck you and cause you to miss due dates.
Exactly. Disney is a want, not a need, not an unalienable right. The OP is struggling with having basic needs met (shelter, food, clothing) because his wife wants a champagne life on a toilet wine pocketbook.

Take the cruise! Seriously. Try to cut back on eating out if it makes you feel better about saving a bit, but take the cruise. 20 years is worth celebrating and it sounds like your other savings goals are on track.

Take the cruise. You only live once and your 20th anniversary is something to celebrate! Your only debt is your car and your house? Take the trip.

Well, you know I'm a cruise junkie so I will say take the cruise. :rotfl:
I don't say this because I love cruises though; I say this so you enjoy some alone time with your hubby. For all the time, effort, stress and money we spend raising children, it's nice to just be together, hold hands, and remind yourself why you fell in love with him. Part of "taking care of your family" is keeping your marriage strong.
Celebrate your anniversary.
Besides all the sad stories I see working in a hospital, we recently had a coworker lose her dh to a sudden heart attack. He just turned 40 last spring. Their daughter is 7. :sad: She is suddenly now a single mom with a mortgage.

You are not spending out of control. Put a refundable deposit down to lock in the price and then sleep on it a few days. See how flights are priced. Sometimes the stars align and it all works out so perfectly: better priced flights on the dates I need, I'm able to get those dates off work, I have enough credit card points to cover some of the expenses, a cabin we especially like is available, etc. In cases like that, I feel like it's just meant to be.

Other times, it feels like nothing is working out: flights are high, bad flight times, I can't get all of the days off work, I'm all out of credit card points, etc. Then I give up.

If the price goes up, you will regret that you didn't book it at the lower price.

:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

I know you said that creating a budget wasn't going to be possible at the moment, but creating a diary of what is due when might be a start, at least then you would be able to work out how to allocate any funds you have available and spot pinch points and prioritise making payments to avoid late fees etc. That is a little step in the direction of getting straighter that shouldn't alarm your wife too much.

You aren't going to be able to access better interest rates etc until you get your credit score under control and that isn't going to happen until you have no late payments, defaults or other similar issues.

And definitely make sure you are on top of the "legal loan shark" loan - you don't want to give them any excuse to apply a fee, it feels like they are very good at writing contracts that benefit them HUGELY! In the UK there was a huge backlash against similar companies a few years ago and a number went under when they were prosecuted under unfair contract terms legislation and other similar abuse of power type rules. The unexpected consequence has been a growth in illegal money lenders as some people have found it harder to access legitimate credit. This has led to national awareness campaigns around what a loan shark is and how to report them to the police.
These are excellent points.
@WDW_fan_in_TX
First and foremost is making minimum payments on time to avoid any additional fees being added. If you had a budget, you would know exactly which paycheck should pay that particular bill so that it isn't late. Each payday would have a list of bills it will pay. When we had a mortgage, it would take half of each of our paychecks in the 2nd half of the month so yes, there was not a lot leftover after that. It simply means that a different paycheck needs to pay that bill, even if it means paying it 2 weeks early.

One thing you need to emphasize to your wife, a budget is simply a plan. Even mega rich billionaires have budgets too. Jeff Bezos, Warren Buffet, etc. all work with budgets. What makes theirs different from us is they are not so negatively affected by unplanned problems in life. It's not like if they miss one day's pay, they can't buy groceries.
But I digress....
Still, us regular folks can still have a cushion or EF to help us through some financial hiccups because eventually they will happen. We might as well be prepared for them. Why act surprised that my car with 47k miles on needs tires? That is simple maintenance right? Tires, brakes and oil wear down. That's not even some broken part or system failure.

Remember the phrase: If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
Maybe she'd cooperate more if you call it a payment plan or a paycheck plan. Some people have very negative ideas over the word budget, as if it means being a cheapskate or somehow depriving oneself of something nice.
I've had coworkers say they don't feel anything different on months that have a 3rd paycheck. This is how I can easily tell that they don't follow a budget. If they did, all their monthly bills would have been plugged into the other paychecks and they'd see that the 3rd paycheck is ALL SNOWBALL. :cloud9: Whatever your snowball goal is, that 3rd week is like a turbo boost to get you to your goal sooner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter