Debt Dumpers 2023

Wow, that's rough. I'm sorry. :( When we got notice we had to be back in the office at least 3 days a week I think they at least gave us a few weeks notice. A lot of us are still fighting being back in the office since it's not fair throughout our business. Some departments are still working fully remote. Some people in some departments are only in the office 1 day week. While some of us still have to be there 3-days for absolutely no good reason at all other than "because I said so." I'm unfortunately in a department that has to be in 3-days a week and i'm definitely not happy about it. Granted I haven't been happy with my company/job as a whole in awhile. My issue is that I get paid really well and I have a crap ton of time off which makes it really difficult to want to actually leave. We're currently in the middle of negotiations for raises (among other things) so we'll see what happens with that. I haven't taken finding a new job completely off the table though.
We're also fighting, because we find productivity is lower in the office. We have jobs that require concentration, and interruptions reset that. When we're at home, we can ignore messages until we finish what we're in the middle of and then check them. It's the same thing for us, we're being brought back in just because someone in upper management equates butts in seats with productivity. That's absolutely not the case in a software environment. They're used to a manufacturing environment, when if you're not meeting sales targets you just crank out more product. It doesn't work that way for us at all. We do NOT get paid well, but most of us are long term employees. We don't want to start over somewhere else, we want to make the work environment better. They want to go backwards.

As an aside, we worked from home all during covid and were more productive and made more money than pre-covid.

The inconsistency must be quite frustrating. Something I've wondered with our offering of fully remote, which I am fully remote now, is our quality of candidates. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I swear it seems like our last batches of hires even though remote are not lasting, or questionable in some cases on work priorities, or perhaps just didn't turn out to be the right fit. I'm not the supervisor, and will never do that again been in plenty of those positions, and don't need that stress anymore. But I do hear in meetings questions about items due and it seems to be the newer individuals, why they aren't done, or finding out a person that just came on 6 weeks ago is leaving already, and that's not just one person but has been several. I think some people came in thinking remote as the best of circumstances, yes it's absolutely great I have no commute, but we still have a massive workload and some hires don't seem to understand that coming in. I work over alot. Even my DH says to me he'd be watching Netflix all day, I say yeah right, not a chance. I'm shackled to my computer answering people all day, calls, meetings or Teams chat on questions. When I get up and come back, I've got messages waiting and missed calls. When I was in the office, I felt way less of this. Maybe because it's easier to just walk down the hall. That all being said, I think someone that's been in the company and is a good producer and understands the organization, if they can be productive at home, it should be a consideration.
Pre-covid, our environment had some remote, some hybrid and some in-office. Now they want everyone in the office full time except for the ones who don't have an office within a 3-hour commute (excluding traffic, just driving time). They're also pushing everyone with doctors notes to get new ones, in an attempt to force them back too.

We work hard, and there's always someone to answer. But we can ignore them when we're in the middle of a task that requires a lot of concentration, which is something you can't do in the office.

In your case, if you have new people quitting because of the workload, that indicates an issue with how much work you're putting on people. Our office also puts unrealistic expectations on people and we're now hitting the point that it's hard to keep new hires. The longer term employees had it happen more slowly, kind of like the frog who sits in the water as it heats up. By the time the frog realizes he's being boiled alive, it's too late, but the new frog dumped into the already boiling water tries to get away. If you're working too much, you should be scaling back and setting the expectation that they need to hire more people. I'm guilty of it as well, but we're quickly learning that the company will just take advantage of the wage savings and burn through their employees, eventually replacing us with cheaper new hires who don't have the same level of knowledge.

Update time:

Financially:
1. Keep the credit cards empty - DONE! Still using them and paying them off before they start earning interest.
2. Figure out a way to put some sort of extra on the mortgage, even if it's the $100 minimum - DONE!
3. Get some things I NEED to have (rims/tires for the car, items that need replacing at home, etc)
-Bought a non-trivial (for me) item, but will have to wait until this weekend to have help installing it
4. Get a savings plan going for the big stuff that comes due in one lump sum payment (insurance, property tax)
-No extra progress this week
-Had to buy two gifts, which ate up some money. I think I have to pick up a couple more this week. This is one thing I'm not willing to let slide.

General stuff:
1. Make a will - DONE!
2. Continue to clear out the crap. I need to go through my clothes and that sort of thing. I got a pile done in 2022, but it really wasn't enough.
-51 items gone this week
-No bites on the posted items for sale
3. Look for a new job. The reason nothing has been getting done is because I'm burned out from my existing job and I'm being severely underpaid for the work I do.
-Updated my Linkedin realized that I'm missing some things. I may have to dig up some information to add.
-Checked the email notifications and jobs sites
-I had to do some prep work for going into the office more often, and that wasted some of my time
4. Get my passport.-DONE!
5. Knock some half-finished projects off the list. Everything from making a scarf to some jewelry. Lots of stuff has been started, but not finished. Enough already!
-Nothing this week. Priorities have shifted, so this one has been pushed down the list.
6. Get into better shape. I'd like to say 'lose weight', but I'd be happy to be able to run up my own steps without getting winded. The weight loss may or may not come, but it's not as important.
-Did 3 workouts
7. Spend more time with loved ones. I don't see friends/family much. I guess I really need to do #3 in order to facilitate this one.
-Nothing this week
8. Organize my stuff!
-Sorted through some magazines. There's still a massive pile, but I'm going through each to make sure there's no recipes or anything I want out of them before they go into the pile.

Well we have had our 13 year old nephew with us since June 3rd. We will drive 6 hours on Saturday to take him to the airport so he can have a direct flight home. We have spent a lot of money but also done pretty good. Had to get him an eye exam and new glasses which was $400 and then the dentist which was $750. 13 year old boys eat a lot so we have bought a lot of groceries but have curbed our eating out. He prefers eating at home so that benefits us all. Once we take him home we will buckle down and get back to paying stuff off and saving money for our December Disney trip.

Well we have had our 13 year old nephew with us since June 3rd. We will drive 6 hours on Saturday to take him to the airport so he can have a direct flight home. We have spent a lot of money but also done pretty good. Had to get him an eye exam and new glasses which was $400 and then the dentist which was $750. 13 year old boys eat a lot so we have bought a lot of groceries but have curbed our eating out. He prefers eating at home so that benefits us all. Once we take him home we will buckle down and get back to paying stuff off and saving money for our December Disney trip.

Why did you have to pay for his medical care?

Had to get him an eye exam and new glasses which was $400 and then the dentist which was $750.
I teach 13-year olds and know how they can be with glasses (especially if they play sports). If you didn't get the prescription from the optometrist, you should be able to request it. Check out Zenni (.com) and pick up a second cheap pair in case something happens to the glasses you got for him. I bought DH an extra cheap set for about $12 shipped. We've been using Zenni exclusively for about three years now and their quality is great. BTW, your kindness is awesome. Your nephew is very lucky to have you. :)

I teach 13-year olds and know how they can be with glasses (especially if they play sports). If you didn't get the prescription from the optometrist, you should be able to request it. Check out Zenni (.com) and pick up a second cheap pair in case something happens to the glasses you got for him. I bought DH an extra cheap set for about $12 shipped. We've been using Zenni exclusively for about three years now and their quality is great. BTW, your kindness is awesome. Your nephew is very lucky to have you. :)

I am going to do that if we need another pair. They are not as cheap as they could be because his prescription is so strong. I did get a 2 year warranty on this pair and they said that even though he doesn't live here I could just let them know and they will send a new pair.

I am going to do that if we need another pair. They are not as cheap as they could be because his prescription is so strong. I did get a 2 year warranty on this pair and they said that even though he doesn't live here I could just let them know and they will send a new pair.

Costco is a fantastic place for glasses also. They are super high quality and CHEAP. My son (with a strong, complicated Rx) just got a new pair for $140. The frames were $60 (Perry Ellis brand), $70 for the lenses (high index, Transitions).

The optometrist there also sees non members for only $80. You do have to wait a week for the glasses to come in, but you can't beat the price.

Another vote for Costco for glasses. My husband can pay to see their optometrist and get 3 pair of glasses for around $400. And he has a complicated prescription and always gets transition lenses with all the bells and whistles. They run specials - buy one pair of glasses and get $$$ off a second or third pair.

Another vote for Costco for glasses. My husband can pay to see their optometrist and get 3 pair of glasses for around $400. And he has a complicated prescription and always gets transition lenses with all the bells and whistles. They run specials - buy one pair of glasses and get $$$ off a second or third pair.
That's great. I admittedly have been wasteful ordering glasses from my optometrist, I got done with my exam and went over to see the Op techs in the same office and ordered glasses. The optometrist is so close to my house, Costco is a pain to get to, I hate going there, but I get it that it's cheaper.

Wow. that's great to know about costco. We don't have one by us but could figure something out.

You have to be a member to buy the glasses, but not to see the optometrist for an exam. But the price or membership is worth it JUST for the savings on glasses.

You have to be a member to buy the glasses, but not to see the optometrist for an exam. But the price or membership is worth it JUST for the savings on glasses.

Despite not having a costco near by, I do have a membership for when I travel and there is one.

I need June to be over so I can stop spending money. The move has challenged literally everything.

The plus side is everything got paid off with our down payment on the house, so our expenses went way down. I just have to get past the million deposits and random crap that keeps popping up. Like $30 dryer cords because this house has a 3 prong when the other one was a 4 prong. Or longer washer connections.

@Tygerlilly, yes moving/new houses are death of a thousand cuts, it seems. I had an expense category of “new house, new stuff” the year we moved into our current home.

We had a pretty decent fund, but apparently not. Lol. It just seems like every time I turn around there's some random thing popping up.

Costco is a fantastic place for glasses also. They are super high quality and CHEAP. My son (with a strong, complicated Rx) just got a new pair for $140. The frames were $60 (Perry Ellis brand), $70 for the lenses (high index, Transitions).

The optometrist there also sees non members for only $80. You do have to wait a week for the glasses to come in, but you can't beat the price.

they are also great in a pinch if something happens to your glasses when traveling-they can pull up the scrip on their system to do a replacement (if they can't repair onsite which they frequently can for no cost).

there IS a way to work around this:rolleyes1 if you have a costco gift card for any amount you can purchase in warehouse at warehouse prices (online there's a bit of an up charge). every few months i buy a handful of $10 cards for my oldest-a membership is not worth it for him but there are a few products he likes there (and gets his glasses there). he uses 1 single gift card as the initial payment source on each trip and pays the rest with cash or debit. i wish they would offer the option to add a 3rd household member for an up charge on their memberships-i think allot of people would avail themselves of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter