Debt Dumpers 2023

Update time:

Financially:
1. Keep the credit cards empty - DONE! Still using them and paying them off before they start earning interest.
2. Figure out a way to put some sort of extra on the mortgage, even if it's the $100 minimum - DONE!
3. Get some things I NEED to have (rims/tires for the car, items that need replacing at home, etc)
-Nothing this week. but I need to get my tires switched over this week. There goes some cash
4. Get a savings plan going for the big stuff that comes due in one lump sum payment (insurance, property tax)
-No extra progress this week. Work messed up our pays, so I have to wait until all the adjustments go through before I know what I'm working with

General stuff:
1. Make a will - DONE!
2. Continue to clear out the crap. I need to go through my clothes and that sort of thing. I got a pile done in 2022, but it really wasn't enough.
-12 items gone this week
3. Look for a new job. The reason nothing has been getting done is because I'm burned out from my existing job and I'm being severely underpaid for the work I do.
-Been checking my email notifications daily, but nothing there. Got in touch with a couple contacts to see if their companies are hiring, but no luck.
4. Get my passport.-DONE!
5. Knock some half-finished projects off the list. Everything from making a scarf to some jewelry. Lots of stuff has been started, but not finished. Enough already!
-1 project started and completed this week. This one had a deadline,, so a bit more of a push
6. Get into better shape. I'd like to say 'lose weight', but I'd be happy to be able to run up my own steps without getting winded. The weight loss may or may not come, but it's not as important.
-Did 4 workouts
7. Spend more time with loved ones. I don't see friends/family much. I guess I really need to do #3 in order to facilitate this one.
-Nothing this week, but I was sick and didn't want to spread anything
8. Organize my stuff!
-Sorted through a bag of junk and sewing box. I set some things aside for them to go away, but that will have to wait a bit

Update time:

Financially:
1. Keep the credit cards empty - DONE! Still using them and paying them off before they start earning interest.
2. Figure out a way to put some sort of extra on the mortgage, even if it's the $100 minimum - DONE!
3. Get some things I NEED to have (rims/tires for the car, items that need replacing at home, etc)
-Nothing this week. but I need to get my tires switched over this week. There goes some cash
4. Get a savings plan going for the big stuff that comes due in one lump sum payment (insurance, property tax)
-No extra progress this week. Work messed up our pays, so I have to wait until all the adjustments go through before I know what I'm working with

General stuff:
1. Make a will - DONE!
2. Continue to clear out the crap. I need to go through my clothes and that sort of thing. I got a pile done in 2022, but it really wasn't enough.
-12 items gone this week
3. Look for a new job. The reason nothing has been getting done is because I'm burned out from my existing job and I'm being severely underpaid for the work I do.
-Been checking my email notifications daily, but nothing there. Got in touch with a couple contacts to see if their companies are hiring, but no luck.
4. Get my passport.-DONE!
5. Knock some half-finished projects off the list. Everything from making a scarf to some jewelry. Lots of stuff has been started, but not finished. Enough already!
-1 project started and completed this week. This one had a deadline,, so a bit more of a push
6. Get into better shape. I'd like to say 'lose weight', but I'd be happy to be able to run up my own steps without getting winded. The weight loss may or may not come, but it's not as important.
-Did 4 workouts
7. Spend more time with loved ones. I don't see friends/family much. I guess I really need to do #3 in order to facilitate this one.
-Nothing this week, but I was sick and didn't want to spread anything
8. Organize my stuff!
-Sorted through a bag of junk and sewing box. I set some things aside for them to go away, but that will have to wait a bit
Yes that job burnout, is something else. My line of work sedentary, but mentally exhausting.

oi-what a couple of weeks cost wise, but of our own choosing and so far seemingly well worth it. had plumbers in to put a couple of spigots on one side of the house b/c the spec builder chose for some unknown reason to put one on the front, one on the back, 2 on one side but none on the other :confused: . for fire protection especially this is something that should have been a no brainier. so cha ching $$$$ for that. next was the electricians...upgraded the old florescent lights in the garage, laundry room and walk in closet to led (so much brighter now-and the ones in the garage won't dim in cold weather:thumbsup2), replaced and upgraded the smoke alarms with 10 year smoke/carbon monoxide alarms and got a whole house surge protector (we have small back up batteries on the computers and such but i've heard horror stories of full households of major appliance being fried :crazy2:)...cha ching $$$$ for that. next project-getting some gravel to refresh the driveway and areas around the house (more fire protection) and i've got some mack daddy mobile agricultural sprinklers on order that we can place at strategic points and if (god forbid) the need arises set up a water barrier to protect against wild fires-cha ching, cha ching.

oi-what a couple of weeks cost wise, but of our own choosing and so far seemingly well worth it. had plumbers in to put a couple of spigots on one side of the house b/c the spec builder chose for some unknown reason to put one on the front, one on the back, 2 on one side but none on the other :confused: . for fire protection especially this is something that should have been a no brainier. so cha ching $$$$ for that. next was the electricians...upgraded the old florescent lights in the garage, laundry room and walk in closet to led (so much brighter now-and the ones in the garage won't dim in cold weather:thumbsup2), replaced and upgraded the smoke alarms with 10 year smoke/carbon monoxide alarms and got a whole house surge protector (we have small back up batteries on the computers and such but i've heard horror stories of full households of major appliance being fried :crazy2:)...cha ching $$$$ for that. next project-getting some gravel to refresh the driveway and areas around the house (more fire protection) and i've got some mack daddy mobile agricultural sprinklers on order that we can place at strategic points and if (god forbid) the need arises set up a water barrier to protect against wild fires-cha ching, cha ching.

As annoyed as I am about the 45 house development going up behind us I also am glad most of the trees are gone and there's more breaks between us and I-5 for when the shoulder ineveitably catches fire in the summer. We've been lucky and none have been our section but it's been close. Development has fire hydrants that are closer to the side of the freeway too which is good.

As annoyed as I am about the 45 house development going up behind us I also am glad most of the trees are gone and there's more breaks between us and I-5 for when the shoulder ineveitably catches fire in the summer. We've been lucky and none have been our section but it's been close. Development has fire hydrants that are closer to the side of the freeway too which is good.

no fire hydrants where we are-all wells which is one of the reasons we advocate getting generators that auto turn on and maintain water during power outages. many only think of generators in terms of heat/cooling/maintaining the fridge and freezer but during a fire it's not uncommon to lose power in which case absent that generator you are absent life protecting water.

no fire hydrants where we are-all wells which is one of the reasons we advocate getting generators that auto turn on and maintain water during power outages. many only think of generators in terms of heat/cooling/maintaining the fridge and freezer but during a fire it's not uncommon to lose power in which case absent that generator you are absent life protecting water.
That's scary. I live in South Jersey and we have wildfires occasionally in the Pine Barrens but it's usually contained pretty quickly. I don't think homes were ever involved. I can't imagine dealing with the fear that it could happen close to home anytime.

Checking in since it's been a bit. We've logged many miles going back and forth to my father in laws to clean up and clear up the house. I am pretty sure we've gone every weekend since March except the two we were out of town for vacation. The house is getting repairs and going on the market... it just seems very weird still. I think we are done with weekly trips for which I am grateful.

1. Emergency fund - about $3000/10,000.

2. Debt Focus -Student Loan #2 $4098.39 Have just been making the minimum payment at this time.

3. Vacation - We just got back from Universal and Disney Cruise. It was amazing. We went under in some categories, over in others and overall spent about $500 more than I expected. A big chunk was parking because I forgot to add that into the budget. Whoops! Originally we were taking my father in law later this year to WDW but I don't think I have the heart to go at the same time since we can't take him. I'm looking into more options for next year and I am hoping for lots of small camping trips in the near future - we inherited his RV.

4. Additional $5000 to either my IRA or our non retirement investment account before the end of the year. This is in addition to what we already invest retirement wise. No change.

5. Food Budget/Planning
(decrease wasted food and money) - Have not cared about this one bit. Summer vacation starts on Thursday for us so this is a summer project.

6. Finish taxes asap.
Done! Changed to trust. Actually have finally turned in the paperwork and of course, it took maybe half an hour to grab everything. I've been putting it off for 2 years. :sad2: But dealing with my FIL's trust and dealing with his estate finally got me into gear. Now waiting for our attorney to tell us what we need to do next.

7. No/low buy March/April/May. I haven't paid much attention to not overspending but we've been busy I haven't been doing lots of shopping in general and certainly not much impulse shopping. But I couldn't tell you if I have been successful or not. :rolleyes: Cutting myself some slack and moving on.

I have multiple savings accounts with Ally. Each one can have a nickname so I call them Car Ins, Escrow (taxes and homeowner's ins), Sewer, Cruise Fund, Truck Fund, Christmas, Bathroom Remodel, etc.
It works wonderfully for me for all of the quarterly, semi-annual and annual bills. $9/week to sewer, $88 biweekly to car ins fund, $470/week for the last 2 weeks of the month to Escrow acct, etc. YMMV.
It makes it so easy to pay when those bills arrive. No more stressing and wondering if a 3-paycheck month will cover the car ins bill. I've never been this organized in my life.
I've never heard of that one. Is it US only?

Plugging a long here. My nephew is coming in 3 weeks so I have been purchasing all of his clothes and necessary items. We got him a direct flight so will be driving 6 hours to get him and will likely do some shopping there.

Got an AMAZING raise at work that starts July 1. Going to up my grocery budget and add a little more to our personal allowances but the rest will be used to pay off debt.

My father in law suddenly(ish) passed yesterday. I say ish because he's had health issues for a little bit with one pretty legit scare a few months ago. Trying to get hubby up there for everything has been a nightmare. Between flights delaying for 5 hours to rebooking for the next day to canceling altogether and him going to drive to the funeral that was going to be in a different state from where he was living to now being in the town he was in. It's been insane.

I need a margarita.

My father in law suddenly(ish) passed yesterday. I say ish because he's had health issues for a little bit with one pretty legit scare a few months ago. Trying to get hubby up there for everything has been a nightmare. Between flights delaying for 5 hours to rebooking for the next day to canceling altogether and him going to drive to the funeral that was going to be in a different state from where he was living to now being in the town he was in. It's been insane.

I need a margarita.
I’m so sorry for your loss. Virtual hugs to you and your family. :flower3::hug:

I need a margarita.
I’m so sorry for your loss, especially so close to your father’s passing. :grouphug:

Thanks everyone. The worst part is our middle kiddos dance recital is Sunday at 6, the exact time as the funeral. Hubby is going to stay for the dress rehearsal Saturday and then head up to Indiana after, do the funeral Sunday, and come home Monday.

Thanks everyone. The worst part is our middle kiddos dance recital is Sunday at 6, the exact time as the funeral. Hubby is going to stay for the dress rehearsal Saturday and then head up to Indiana after, do the funeral Sunday, and come home Monday.
That timing is not great, your husband must feel torn but you have found a great compromise.

In the UK it is normally several weeks before the funeral happens which allows for plans to be made but does sometimes feel like the whole thing is just dragging on. In my father's case it was over a month due to complications with cause of death and paperwork.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter