Debt Dumpers 2020

Our current work schedule (one week in the office, next week work from home) got extended through May. Not surprised but since our office is split right now I am missing seeing some of my friends. We are spending less eating out, however; that seems to have been made up in additional grocery expenses. I bought new sheets, new shoes and new pants (quarantine weight is happening!) but other than a few flowers for the deck next month, we don't have any upcoming expenses. Hopefully we can start paying down some debt. We haven't received our stimulus and I am still waiting on a bonus from Wells Fargo for opening a checking account. Those things should make a nice dent in somethings.

Our current work schedule (one week in the office, next week work from home) got extended through May. Not surprised but since our office is split right now I am missing seeing some of my friends. We are spending less eating out, however; that seems to have been made up in additional grocery expenses. I bought new sheets, new shoes and new pants (quarantine weight is happening!) but other than a few flowers for the deck next month, we don't have any upcoming expenses. Hopefully we can start paying down some debt. We haven't received our stimulus and I am still waiting on a bonus from Wells Fargo for opening a checking account. Those things should make a nice dent in somethings.
I did a WF checking also, will see how it goes.

Grocery expenditures also up, but I think may not be too bad. Seems like everyone is a baker and a chef in quarantine, based on some grocery aisles :) I have yet to see any Clorox or Lysol items since this began, no luck on ordering either. How is it going in your areas?

Grocery expenditures also up, but I think may not be too bad. Seems like everyone is a baker and a chef in quarantine, based on some grocery aisles :) I have yet to see any Clorox or Lysol items since this began, no luck on ordering either. How is it going in your areas?

Haven't seen any sort of disinfectant product in any store I've been to, but I did manage to get an order for disinfecting wipes in from Boxed. It's their brand, Prince & Spring. Flour has been hard to come by, but sugar has been fine. I'm supposed to get a grocery order tomorrow and put flour in it, so we'll see.

I think I still have about 16 rolls of toilet paper left plus half of a Charmin forever roll, so I'm still pretty good for now. I always buy the giant Costco brand pack and had bought one in February for our house, so we haven't needed anymore since then. I've heard our Costco has been in pretty good shape as far as toilet paper supplies go. I haven't been to Costco since 3/13. They're saying our peak will be the next two days here, but honestly looking at the graphics as far as deaths go, I think our peak has probably passed. Even though my husband and I are healthy young adults, we're going to continue exercising as many social distancing measures as we can for as long as possible.

I read where they give you the bonus 30 days after meeting the deposit requirements. I met deposit requires 04/01 so should be soon.

Our area does not seem to have flour, meat (hit and miss) and all cleaning supplies (laundry, dish, general ones) seem to be in high demand. Everyone better come out of quarantine a professional chef/baker and with the cleanest houses ever!

I read where they give you the bonus 30 days after meeting the deposit requirements. I met deposit requires 04/01 so should be soon.

Our area does not seem to have flour, meat (hit and miss) and all cleaning supplies (laundry, dish, general ones) seem to be in high demand. Everyone better come out of quarantine a professional chef/baker and with the cleanest houses ever!

Hahah I feel like I've been fighting a losing battle in home cleanliness. I feel like I'm cleaning a ton but holy cow does your house get dirty fast when you're just in it all day. I did a pretty thorough cleaning downstairs yesterday but still have some dishes and stuff piled up from last night's dinner that I need to take care of.

Hahah I feel like I've been fighting a losing battle in home cleanliness. I feel like I'm cleaning a ton but holy cow does your house get dirty fast when you're just in it all day. I did a pretty thorough cleaning downstairs yesterday but still have some dishes and stuff piled up from last night's dinner that I need to take care of.

I have not gone on a crazy cleaning spree yet but am starting to feel the itch to do so. I started following this person on Instagram and from what I have gathered, she runs a cleaning business. She shows how to clean all kinds of things and the results are amazing. It's a little embarrassing to admit that some of the things she cleans it has never occurred to me to do!

I have not gone on a crazy cleaning spree yet but am starting to feel the itch to do so. I started following this person on Instagram and from what I have gathered, she runs a cleaning business. She shows how to clean all kinds of things and the results are amazing. It's a little embarrassing to admit that some of the things she cleans it has never occurred to me to do!

Ok well now I have to know who it is :rotfl2:

I live in Washington. Our stay at home order is through May 4th. However, our county commissioner (Franklin) has put out an order that everything can reopen, everyone can go out and go back to work if they want. He put in the order that the actions of the Governor were "unconstitutional" and therefore never legal. Our Sheriff's dept. echoed the same, saying they would not do anything to people, businesses, or churches that wanted to go back to operating. It's anarchy over here! Also, we snagged some toilet paper from Costco yesterday.

i'm in spokane county and we're still following the gov's orders (and i believe he is going to extend beyond may 4th). we haven't had any of the public protests as yet but i have to say that i would be more inclined to believe some of what is being said by the protesters if they didn't gather and stand shoulder to shoulder (i mean it's really hard to believe it when they say that we can return to normal business and be trusted to maintain social distancing when they are ignoring it at the same time).

shopping here-haven't seen wipes in any store since february, toilet paper is still gone in the early a.m. if stores are even getting it, sanitizer is available free at a local distillery, flour/yeast is hit and miss,

:wave:
Uh, hey. I seemed to get a little lost after June last year and haven't been on since then. Haha.

So, I'm super late to this party...
2019 was crazy at the end of the year: I was working a ton of overtime until October, we hosted Trick-or-treating on Halloween, had our oldest daughter's 4th birthday party on November 1st, had our wedding Novembrr 2nd, and left for our Vegas honeymoon on the 4th. In January, we had a weird 2 months of no hours at work. We renewed a couple loans. It was not good.

So, we're basically back to square one.
2020 goals:
• pay off all debt, including the car (15k total)
• up 401k contributions to full company match
• $2,000 for August vacation
• $4,000 for November vacation

Personal goals
• Run 3x a week
• Complete 1st half marathon in November
• Lose 50lbs

Welcome back @Tygerlilly! We were wondering where you disappeared too. How did you wedding go?? Would love to see some pics! Sorry to hear you had a tough couple months at the beginning of the year. :flower3:

I have yet to be able to find disinfecting wipes in any of our stores (Northern CA/Sacramento). But Costco has had TP and even paper towels every time I've gone in, including yesterday at about 2pm. Flour/sugar/yeast is hard to come by at pretty much every store. Luckily I bought flour and sugar right before this all started. I'd been looking for yeast to try my hand at bread (I like baking, I've been making lots of cookies) but I can't find it anywhere so oh well. Not a big deal for me. We've also had protests the last couple days/over the weekend, but as of right now our stay at home order goes through May 1. I fully expect it to be extended, but haven't heard anything yet.

State responded to the county commissioner ending the stay at home order: "The action taken by the Board of Commissioners intentionally and knowingly violates an order issued by the Governor pursuant to his emergency powers, see RCW 43.06.220(1), and it therefore violates state law. And it encourages its residents, to their detriment, to violate the Governor's order and state law. The Governor directs you to immediately retract or rescind the resolution adopted on April 21, 2020, that declares the county to be 'Open for Business' and any relevant guidance that purports to supersede state enforcement authority." Well, alrighty, then. Like it or not, it's the law. And where I live there is no cleaner, wipes, bleach, hand sanitizer. Toilet paper is wildly sporadic - neighborhood boards have resorted to "alerts" when someone has seen an elusive product. Rice, beans, meat, canned goods, ramen, boxed meals, cereal are super hit and miss. Numbers are still going up here, but this has been going on since first week of March. DH couldn't find peanut butter at 4 stores on Mon. Delivery orders are also crazy hit or miss - you really have no idea what will be in stock. Last order there were no chicken strips of any kind, frozen pizza gone except a cheese Totino's (ew). Got loads of fresh fruit Mon. of all kinds, trip before that got 2 bananas. Haven't seen flour or yeast for weeks - do they still make that?

OMG, that's like our weekly grocery spend ($300). Right now it's me and 2 teen boys. They eat a lot.
Dh used to say that ds19 is part shark, a non stop eating machine. The crazy part is that he is still so thin. Jeans with 29" waist are baggy but he doesn't want to shop in the children's dept.
That definitely doesn't come from my side of the family. I was a pork chop even when I was 3.
:headache: :sad2:

Welcome back @Tygerlilly! We were wondering where you disappeared too. How did you wedding go?? Would love to see some pics! Sorry to hear you had a tough couple months at the beginning of the year. :flower3:

Here are a few of my favorite pictures, including the only picture we managed to get of all 4 of us. The cake was *amazing*. Literally the best thing I've ever eaten.

Af-4.jpgAr-6.jpgR-3.jpg

We are still chugging along here. We're good on supplies somehow. I use Amazon subscribe & save to get 15% off a monthly shipment. It just so happens that my March shipment was TP and paper towels. Also dh doesn't like the cheap Scott tp so he stocked up on Charmin or whatever fluffy brand back in early March at Costco too. My April subscribe & save delivery of paper towels, Lysol spray & pistachios never happened. Other things for April like vitamins, ibuprofen did arrive so not everything is in short supply. I just happened to look at my Amazon orders and saw that paper towels are due to arrive next week and Lysol too.
woo hoo! Let the good times roll! :cheer2:

We also lucked out that dh bought a big pack of Clorox wipes in early March before they were hard to get. I think it had 4-5 tubs in a pack so I gave a pack to my dad. Also ds23 works at our grocery store and was able to get a small 3-pack. I gave one of those to my dad too. He has a rancher and the rooms are all in a row plus 2 long hallways to get from kitchen to his bathroom. So now he doesn't have to keep carrying 1 pack back and forth with his walker. Dh found another pack of Clorox wipes but they're made with peroxide. I don't know how well they disinfect so I'll save them for down the road when we're well past peak. I also re-discovered a tub of bleach wipes that were past their exp date so our hospital had to get rid of them. A bunch of us took them home last winter and they work but I wiped down the kitchen countertop then forgot and leaned forward against it. Real bleach (ironically not in Clorox wipes) will wreck the color in clothing so am being careful how I use them.
We are ok on food. Some things are in short supply, like fresh chicken, but we are not going hungry. Some nights grilled cheese with a can of Bush baked beans will have to do. We order take out once per week just to keep local businesses working.

My unemployment finally kicked in. Along with the federal CARES money it works out pretty close to my regular take home pay. So we are still able to put $ aside. If all goes well, I will have all of our Panama Canal cruise $ saved up by the end of May. The cruise isn't until next Feb so we'll have to wait and see what state the world is in late Oct when the balance is due.

All in all I can't complain. We are all healthy and have each other. Not everyone can say that so I am grateful. Our nurse at the breast imaging center lost her husband to covid last weekend. I am so sad for her. She is such a good person and always spoke so highly of him, though I never met him. She was scheduled to retire in Dec so this is just awful. Well it's awful to lose a spouse ANY time but I can't imagine being so close to retirement, talking about all the things you want to do together, and in a blink it's gone. That's just cruel.

Everyone take care & stay safe. :grouphug:

Took some time away from the board after receiving some monumental news that is not of the best nature. Bad news: I have the same gene mutation my dad has that caused his prostate and breast cancer. Good news: I caught it before I've been diagnosed with cancer.

This has caused us to rearrange our budget:

1. Taking part of stimulus check to pay for new flooring. We've put it off. This doesn't put us behind in CC pay off at all and it'll finally be done. I am a DIY'er and will even call in favors for this one. Or I'll take it a section at a time. No hurry, as long as I do it correctly. I am going to purchase this on a CC for the rewards and immediately pay it off. Woot! Can't wait until that is a habit.

2. Small win: called the bank because they were suddenly not waiving our checking fee. Turns out that when they sold our mortgage, they "forgot" to re-enroll us on the free checking plan. $100 earned.

3. Start my battle with the insurance, who has already denied the testing.

4. Get a spreadsheet prepped so that I'm not paying more than the maximum out-of-pocket for the year. DH has his foot surgery next week, so we should meet it quickly.

I do have enough sick leave on the books to cover any leave, so that is good for our debt-free plans. COVID has messed up things like not being able to get in to see a surgeon (who is actively working with patients who currently are battling cancer) and I can't shop at thrift stores for clothing to modify before the surgeries. Yup...surgeries. I grateful for the gift of time. Not everyone gets that.

Now to go spend a grand on flooring...
So very thankful you found out.

Honestly, this quarantine is killing me. I’m not going into debt and I’m still saving more than I was previously, but I swear that I CANNOT stop online shopping. New kitchen items are just calling to me. Plus I bought a Switch Lite and a couple games. I’m DYING for a new grill and have my eye on some that are sooo nice but probably too pricey for me to really justify lol.

ugh. I. Want. Everything.

anywho, we are okay over here. As mentioned above, my spending is all over the place. I’m still underbudget altogether every month, but my spending “categories” are way off just because I’m spending money differently if that makes sense.

I’ve surpassed my emergency fund savings goal for the year by 1k already and have upped my 401k contributions as planned. Nothing much else to report. I’ve done a lot of baking, cooking new foods, and video gaming to fill the time.

Honestly, this quarantine is killing me. I’m not going into debt and I’m still saving more than I was previously, but I swear that I CANNOT stop online shopping. New kitchen items are just calling to me. Plus I bought a Switch Lite and a couple games. I’m DYING for a new grill and have my eye on some that are sooo nice but probably too pricey for me to really justify lol.

ugh. I. Want. Everything.

anywho, we are okay over here. As mentioned above, my spending is all over the place. I’m still underbudget altogether every month, but my spending “categories” are way off just because I’m spending money differently if that makes sense.

I’ve surpassed my emergency fund savings goal for the year by 1k already and have upped my 401k contributions as planned. Nothing much else to report. I’ve done a lot of baking, cooking new foods, and video gaming to fill the time.

Maybe it's a Stacy thing cause I'm the same way!!! I bought specialty locally made peanut butter the other day. I don't even really eat peanut butter but someone posted about it so what's a girl to do??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter