Debt Dumpers - 2019

This morning they called and said they ACCEPTED my offer! I'll

that's great-but as dave ramsey always cautions-BEFORE YOU SEND A CENT, GET THAT AGREEMENT FROM THEM IN WRITING. you don't want to have them backtrack and claim that you misunderstood or that they never said anything remotely offering that settlement AFTER you've given them your monies (and even with the agreement in hand write 'paid in full per settlement agreement letter dated__________' in the memo section of the check you send them). keep all copies of agreements/cancelled check (in case it pops up somewhere down the line on your credit record as unpaid-we had this happen w/ an old hospital bill and thankfully we had proof we could provide to get it corrected).

@grumpy28 I just noticed that my order for the waffle maker says it will be shipped from a trusted disney partner and to allow 2-3 weeks for delivery. It didn't say that in my confirmation e-mail, but when I go look at my order on shopdisney it gives me that tidbit of info. Thought i'd tell you since I imagine yours is probably the same way and didn't know if you noticed it or not. :)

It's listed as sold out now. I'm so sad. I'm hoping their vendor gets more :sad:

Y'all, I'm crying happy tears today.
Last week I got a letter from our repo lawyers saying they could settle the account for $4000. I said there was no way I could do that much and countered for $1500. This morning they called and said they ACCEPTED my offer! I'll have that paid off by the March 5th and then we're DONE with it! Settling means it's paid off over 8 months early and saves us so much ($700 a month!). Because of this, I'm able to pay off so many other things and put money towards the wedding faster. I cried on the phone to the lady.

Just gotta wait for my taxes to post. They've been approved, now I just have to wait for the deposit tonight or tomorrow night!

This is so exciting! But please as the others have said, please have them do this in writing and put in the memo of the check what was mentioned above!

Damnit Murphy. My 3 year old fell tonight and broke her arm in 2 places. We're being sent to the Children's hospital by ambulance so the pediatric ortho can decide if she needs surgery or not. DF had to call in to work. Unpaid. But, this too shall pass. And now I'm very glad I'm going to be able to get rid of a bunch of debt so we can afford things like this.

Damnit Murphy. My 3 year old fell tonight and broke her arm in 2 places. We're being sent to the Children's hospital by ambulance so the pediatric ortho can decide if she needs surgery or not. DF had to call in to work. Unpaid. But, this too shall pass. And now I'm very glad I'm going to be able to get rid of a bunch of debt so we can afford things like this.

Oh no, I am so sorry for you and your little one :sad::sad:

Oh no!! Poor baby :sad1: Prayers and pixie dust for a speedy recovery!

And to reiterate what others have said- do NOT give the creditor your bank info. Get a pre-paid debit or Visa card, a money order, or a certified check to pay them. Congrats on this weight off your shoulders!

So I'm probably jinxing myself by saying it, but things seem to be going well. My husband gets paid one time per month on the last day of the month (He receives a $700 draw on the 15th but his main check is the last day). I did our March budget this weekend and my next three checks are 80 hours so we are tight. The first of March I had put how much we needed my husbands check to be to fully pay back our emergency fund and things (we never know for sure how much it will be as it depends on overtime and differentials, etc., we know the minimum it would be). I showed it to my husband and we both laughed at how that amount wasn't going to happen. I looked online to see what his check is and it is $250 over what we need!!! Hallelujah! We will be able to fill the emergency fund again and pay a chunk to a credit card.

We did order our plane tickets for December and put them on a credit card, however; the flight time was perfect and since we are in the Midwest there are not a lot of options for flights. We put the $400 we got from my mom's husband towards it and will pay the rest in April (despite having debt we save a certain amount each month towards vacation).

Another question to the debt dumpers. If you pay a deposit for DCL on a Disney Visa, do you take advantage of the 6 months interest free? Or do you just pay it immediately?

Doh! I hope surgery won't be necessary! DF doesn't get paid sick time? :(

Ugh that's terrible! Hope she has a good recovery.
Another question to the debt dumpers. If you pay a deposit for DCL on a Disney Visa, do you take advantage of the 6 months interest free? Or do you just pay it immediately?
I haven't been on DCL yet.....but if I had a Disney Visa (don't have that) I probably would take advantage of the interest free period.
We did order our plane tickets for December and put them on a credit card, however; the flight time was perfect and since we are in the Midwest there are not a lot of options for flights. We put the $400 we got from my mom's husband towards it and will pay the rest in April (despite having debt we save a certain amount each month towards vacation).
Are you going to Disney this year, or next? Or both?

Yes, you should see it listed on your statement at 0% for 6 months and every subsequent payment you make with it gets its own 6 months.

Ugh that's terrible! Hope she has a good recovery.

I haven't been on DCL yet.....but if I had a Disney Visa (don't have that) I probably would take advantage of the interest free period.

Are you going to Disney this year, or next? Or both?

We are going this year. We go next month with my mom and her husband's family staying off park, and we return in December just my husband and I. Typically we would never do two trips in one year, however; we had already planned to go in December when they brought up going in March and they paid for the house so we figured out how to make it work.

We do sometimes making sure to pay it off prior the 6 months.

@Shughart I think they'll come back in stock, it will probably just take some time. My guess is that it's been a more popular item than they expected it to be.

@Tygerlilly hoping for a speedy and relatively easy recovery for your kiddo.

Update for me:

Car Loan: ~$330 left (Will be paid off March 9)
CC1: $0 balance as of a couple days ago (woooo!!!)
CC2: ~$890 left once my March payment goes through (Pay off date estimated in June)
CC3: ~$1200 (Pay off date estimated in September)

As for personal goals, I haven't lost much weight, if at all, but I have been going to the gym very regularly and lifting weights/doing cardio. I go at least 3x a week on average. My running has also vastly improved. I have put in 47.3 miles so far this year (not including warm up and cool downs) which for me is a huge improvement. I only did 52 miles all of last year for reference.

Last edited:
Doh! I hope surgery won't be necessary! DF doesn't get paid sick time? :(

Nope. Our job recently switched to a stupid policy. We have 48 hours of protected time off we can use, but instead of giving it to us in a lump sum at the beginning of the year, we have to accrue it as the year goes on. It's only 3 weeks into our year, so nobody has any time yet.

Thanks for the well wishes. We got transferred by ambulance from our local hospital to the big Children's hospital 45 mins away, but ultimately didn't need immediate surgery last night and she was handling the pain well enough on oral meds (the way she was screaming when we got there, they though she might need iv pain meds), so we got to come home around 1am.
Tomorrow we see the pediatric orthopedic surgeon to really get a good look at it and make sure we still won't need surgery and then cast it. The wrist break isn't bad, but the one near her elbow is concerning.

She's being a little champ this morning. We had to put the trike and other ride on toy in the garage because she ran out and was trying to ride the trike one handed. I can't see that ending well at all. She's been bribed to sit down with new Fingerling blind bags and "mom's drink" (aka a sip of my Pepsi).

Pretty sure we'll hit our deductable with this one and can't wait to see the bill for all of this. Kids, Sheesh. Lol. First of many future injuries I'm sure.

Thanks for the well wishes. We got transferred by ambulance from our local hospital to the big Children's hospital 45 mins away, but ultimately didn't need immediate surgery last night and she was handling the pain well enough on oral meds (the way she was screaming when we got there, they though she might need iv pain meds), so we got to come home around 1am.
Tomorrow we see the pediatric orthopedic surgeon to really get a good look at it and make sure we still won't need surgery and then cast it. The wrist break isn't bad, but the one near her elbow is concerning.

She's being a little champ this morning. We had to put the trike and other ride on toy in the garage because she ran out and was trying to ride the trike one handed. I can't see that ending well at all. She's been bribed to sit down with new Fingerling blind bags and "mom's drink" (aka a sip of my Pepsi).

Pretty sure we'll hit our deductable with this one and can't wait to see the bill for all of this. Kids, Sheesh. Lol. First of many future injuries I'm sure.

Glad she is doing better!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter