Debit Card for Room Purchases

StaceyA

<font color=006600>Disney fanatic!<br><font color=
Hello,
Does anyone know if you can use a debit card (that can be used as a Mastercard) as your card for room charges?

DH and I are going on the Magic 7 day in July and we don't usually use credit cards, so I was hoping I could leave most of the cash home in the bank and just use that.

However I wasn't sure if that was possible to use or if it had to be a real credit card, I know it can't be used when renting a car to hold the car, but it can be used for the final payment.

Has anyone had any experience with this? I have used it for room charges in WDW with no problem (I think if it hit a certain amount they would call you to verify it or something like that) but I have no idea about the cruise!

Thanks!

On the ship on the room cards work. No cash, cards etc. One bill at the end.

My debit cards works like a credit card the difference being money is deducted immediately as opposed to getting a bill. Does your not work the same yet?

Hello,
Yes mine also works that way, I use it ALL the time instead of writing a check.

I just wasn't sure if you could use it on board as the credit card that you give them in the beginning as the room charge.

I know some places require you to give them an actual credit card instead of one that comes out of your checking account.

Did you use your bank card as your room charge?

I have cruised before and at the time I gave them a regular credit card to hold for any on board purchases, but since we have cut up most of our cards and would perfer not to use them if possible, so I was hoping to use my Mastercard check card from the bank.
Thanks!

I have been on three of the cruises and I have used our Debit Card (the one that has the VISA logo on it, but draws from checking). I have had no problems. When you check in you hand them the card just like it was a regular credit card, they swipe it. You will then have "express check out". You won't need to go to guest services to pay for all the room charges, you will receive a envelope delivered under your door the morning of disembarktation which will have all the charges itemized out for you. If you had problems with what you see, you would then go to guest services otherwise you are taking care of. It works like a charm. Hope this helps.:)

That is exactly what I was wondering....if someone else has used thiers and had no problems. I like it much better then bringing too much cash on board (which we would if we used a credit card, because we would pay the balance before leaving since we don't want to use a Credit Card)
Thanks alot for the info!
I knew I would find my answer on this board!!!

Nope I used a credit card. Wanted the points. Actually, it was the points accumalated that paid for the Hyatt at MCO the night before the cruise. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter