Debit card for hotel charges?

CJK

DIS Veteran
Hi all! Some friends have put a credit card on file for their upcoming WDW hotel stay. They wondered if it would be possible to switch to a debit card. I wasn't sure if that was even possible. TIA!

Hi all! Some friends have put a credit card on file for their upcoming WDW hotel stay. They wondered if it would be possible to switch to a debit card. I wasn't sure if that was even possible. TIA!

While I’m sure it’s possible to put a debit card on file I would strongly advise against it- debit cards do much less to protect you against fraudulent spending and there will likely be a hold on your account for damages in excess of the room rate.

EDIT/ correction: a quick google search shows reports from many people that Disney does not place a hold on your account

The main card we use every visit is a debit/credit card, and we've never had a problem with holds or anything like that. I was told that the card was charged on the 4th morning of one's stay (or different, depending on length of stay) and its always gone smoothly. We set it up at the front desk, we don't put the number in in advance, just a tip.

Unless you have a 'debit only' card, I don't think it matters. My debit card can also be used as a regular credit card, but not sure if that is true for all cards. When traveling and using an out of town gas station (for example), when the screen asks debit/credit, I always select 'credit' and then it asks for my zip code instead of the 'pin #' used for debit purchases. I feel there is less risk giving out a zip code with a merchant I am not familiar with that covers a large area vs. your very specific pin # which could allow for fraud. As someone else mentioned above, the one time a suspicious purchase appeared, the card company immediately deleted that charge and there was no liability on my part. In general, I don't feel there is any more/less risk associated with the type of card you use.

I saw something recently at the airport that there can be issues using a debit card for rental car reservations, but I don't recall all of the details.

Possible ... sure they'll just run it like credit

Should you...heck no!

My debit card is on file for this trip and all my disney trips. I have had fraud on my debit card and have gotten my money back by the next business day. This is just my personal experence.

Sounds like you have a great bank, back before I did credit (17 y/o) I had some fraud and I got the money back but not that fast.

The thing about fraud on a debit card is that having your money go missing for any amount of time can seriously mess you up, when credit cards get 20k charged on them you know what happens to your money? NOTHING.

And that's before even getting into the fact that generally speaking customer service will be greater with a credit card, next day air card replacements, dispute process, points/cash back etc..

Yes, I have used a debit card for Disney resort stays multiple times. Btw, Disney doesn't put holds on any cards for their resort stays.

And that's before even getting into the fact that generally speaking customer service will be greater with a credit card, next day air card replacements, dispute process, points/cash back etc..

I have a debit card with a major bank, got hit with fraud very quickly over the course of a day, and they immediately credited it back while they investigated it, and overnighted my new card to me.

The hard part was getting an apology and an explanation (plus the fix) for not contacting me while they were busy shutting down my card. (their systems' fault entirely)

I have a debit card with a major bank, got hit with fraud very quickly over the course of a day, and they immediately credited it back while they investigated it, and overnighted my new card to me.

The hard part was getting an apology and an explanation (plus the fix) for not contacting me while they were busy shutting down my card. (their systems' fault entirely)
It's good the process seems to have gotten better with alot of banks still I would put money down there are far more advantages to using something like csr/csp/amex plat than any debit card.

How's the charge back ablity on your debit card?

Last edited:
I just wonder if Disney will ever allow a gift card to be placed on the room for charges?

Each type of credit/debit card has advantages & disadvantages. We like having a debit card on vacation since you don't need to carry large sums of cash with you that lasts the entire trip and can just go to a local ATM machine as needed. Various credit cards accumulate frequent flyer points, etc. just depends on how much you spend, what airlines you typically use and what your preferences are.

I work with Dr/Cr cards. I would advise NOT using a Dr card. What your friend can do is leave the Cr card as is. Then the night before checkout, go to the front desk and use the Dr card to settle all charges.

Disney does not put holds on credit cards.

Depending on your hotel (value/mod/deluxe), when you reach a certain amount of spending, your card will be charged. For deluxes, it's $2,000, I don't know for others.

Note that certain charges WILL NOT be billed to your folio, and will be charged immediately:
  • mobile order at in-parks restaurants
  • dining at Victoria & Albert's
You can go to front desk at any time, and ask to pay your current folio using the method you'd like (CC/Gift Card/cash).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter