Debating OKW, is my math right for spending points?

alamode

Mouseketeer
I'm looking at purchasing our first DVC at OKW, as I have three small kids, and I would prefer 2 beds rather than a bed and a pullout couch.

Looking on the Timeshare Store web site, there is currently an OKW 150 point March contract 4 sale at $72/point that still has all 150 of this years points (seems like a great deal to me).

So assuming I purchased this, I could book a May 1st 2010 trip in a OKW studio on June 1st of this year for 102 points, then bank the extra 48 points. On March 1st 2010 I would get another 150 points, plus my 48 that I have to use by Feb 28, 2011 or 198 points in total.

I could then book my May 1st 2011 trip as of June 1st 2010 in a 1 Bedroom Villa at OKW, using all the 198 points and borrowing whatever points I need above the 198 from my March 2011 points. (Too much math... head hurting).
Then once I see how much I like the one room villas over the studios, I next buy extra points.

Is my math right on this?

OKW has 2 different expirations : original 2042, extended is 2057. Don't know if this matters to you, but figured I'd mention it ( I'm guessing from price that you're looking at an original expiration ).

Banking deadline for March Use Year is October 31 so yes, you would have until that date to bank points you do not use from this Use Year's allotment.

Sounds like you've got the math right :thumbsup2 *** ETA : No sorry math isn't correct - I apologize I went back & re-read your post and the math isn't entirely right - - -
your March 2009 UY allotment covers reservations that will occur between 3/1/2009 - 2/28/2010 so you would have to BANK 102 Points into 2010 Use Year when you call on June 1 2009 to book trip beginning on May 1 2010 (then those banked 102 pts would be available for stay between
3/1/2010 - 2/28/2011 ). And if you bank the remaining 48 points from 2009 UY allotment the last date those points could be used for a stay would be on Feb 28 2011 so NO YOU COULD NOT use those banked 48 points for trip beginning on
May 1 2011 (those banked 48 pts from March 2009 UY allotment cannot be banked a 2nd time).
To book May 1 2011 stay on June 1 2010 you will need to bank 2010 UY allotment of 150 pts into 2011 UY ( which then makes them available for reservations between 3/1/2011 - 2/28/2012 ) and 2011 UY points would not be borrowed for this reservation because the dates fall within the
2011 Use Year which means the 2011 UY allotment of points are utilized as Current Use Year points.

It's alot to digest at first, but you will get the hang of it ;-)

fwiw, we're OKW owners and :love::love::love: it; studio villas are very nice and good way to conserve points but that 1 bedroom villa is unbelievable so you'll probably want to book that once you stay there !!

Just want to mention, in case you haven't done so, use 2010 points chart to do your calculations because there has been a change in points as of 2010; long story-short weekday nights have increased points in order to reduce number of points required for Friday & Saturday nights.

Best wishes & hope we get to welcome you & your family home real soon :goodvibes

You've got it! And, starting with a smaller contract to see how studios vs. 1 bedroom fit your needs is a great way to go about it.

Once you have an idea of what works for you, it is a lot easier to add on the points you need later!

Buying resale takes about 4 - 6 weeks, from offer to close, typically. I have read a lot of posts in the last week or two where it seems that Disney is deciding on whether to excercise ROFR a lot more quickly then they were just a month or two ago! I have used TSS for both buying and selling and they are very good and will help you with the entire process!

So good luck and have fun planning!

alamode - don't know if you noticed I edited my original post because after re-reading your post regarding banking and using points for upcoming reservations I realized your math wasn't correct concerning dates when banked points can be used. Please see additional info that explains. I think you're confusing when the points must actually be used with time when you can book.

:flower3:

I think I got it right now. If I have March 1st 2009 points, the latest I can use them is Feb 28th, 2011. Since we're not travelling until 2010 (we just went April 30 to May 7th, 2009), I'd use as many points of my 150 as I could on my May 2010 trip. This could be at OKW, which I could book as of June 1, 2009, or another resort, which I could book as of Oct 1, 2009. Any points left over of the 150 wold be lost as of Feb 28, 2011.

I would then get another 150 points on March 1, 2010 to book my May 2011 trip.

You have 3 small kids? Assuming there are also 2 adults, you are over the limit for a studio once the youngest is over 3. You are also over the limit for a 1 bedroom but member services will usually make an exception. A 1 bedroom will not give you 2 regular beds, it will be a king and a queen sofabed.

I would look at SSR you get a longer contract and the same pricing. I am waiting on ROFR on a loaded 130 point ssr at $69 a point.:3dglasses

Just remember that while June 1st is the 11-month window for a May 1st 2010 reservation, there's no way you could purchase a resale contract, have it pass ROFR, and then close, by June 1st.

It could take up to a couple of months when buying resale.

OTOH, even booking your OKW studio at the 9 month window would not be a problem.

I think I got it right now. If I have March 1st 2009 points, the latest I can use them is Feb 28th, 2011.
Yes, if you bank them no later than Oct 31 2009 or call to make a reservation & bank to do so before Oct 31 2009

Since we're not travelling until 2010 (we just went April 30 to May 7th, 2009), I'd use as many points of my 150 as I could on my May 2010 trip.
2009 UY allotment of points when banked are available for trip between 3/1/2010 and 2/28/2011 so these banked 150 pts would be utilized by MS for May 2010 trip FIRST and if need be then MS would take any additional points required for May 2010 trip from regular 2010 UY allotment - which would be current UY allotment

This could be at OKW, which I could book as of June 1, 2009, or another resort, which I could book as of Oct 1, 2009. Any points left over of the 150 wold be lost as of Feb 28, 2011.
Any points banked from 2009 UY allotment would expire on Feb 28 2011 which is last date those 2009 banked points could be used; Feb 28 2011 is also last date points from 2010 UY allotment could be used unless you banked them by Oct 31 2010.

I would then get another 150 points on March 1, 2010 to book my May 2011 trip.
Yes you can use 2010 UY allotment which covers reservation dates from 3/1/2010 - 2/28/2011 for May 2011 reservation - MS would bank them during call for reservation in June 2010 but you should always go step by step through process with MS to be sure they are utilizing points exactly how you are anticipating.

ps : Caskbill has an excellent points tracker that can be downloaded; if you look for his posts you can click on link to it. It's very helpful :goodvibes

Actually it's just me and the three kids. My wife passed away from cancer in October 2006.

She was the huge Disney fan. I think we were one of the few couples that spent more at the Disney Store BEFORE we had kids than afterwards.

I even proposed to her at Beauty and the Beast play here in Toronto. Over the loud speaker at intermission (no pressure there). Disney got really upset at the theatre, and wouldn't allow that again, so it was extra special knowing we were the only couple allowed to do that.

We had a Disney themed wedding, with the wedding party wearing Disney ears with their names at the reception, my wife and I in the bride and groom ears.

Going to Disneyworld was very bittersweet for me, as I so wish she could have been there with us to see the kids reactions. I started crying when they dropped the rope to MK and we strolled in.

What made the trip extra special was when my kids met Tinkerbell, she asked innocently enough where Mommy was. When the girls said that Mommy was in Heaven, Tinkerbell said to them "Well you all just hug me, and I'll fly right up to Heaven and give your Mommy those hugs." To top it all off, we saw the fireworks that night, and when the kids saw 3 heart shaped fireworks, they said in unison "Thanks for the hearts Mommy, we love you too."

I'm really debating getting the DVC, as it is a big commitment, but I think doing this would in a way would be the closest thing for us having our family as a whole. It's fun sure, but it's also a way of remembering the joy that Mommy gave to us.

Getting back to the points thing, the easiest would then be to book the 1 bedroom in 2010 with the 150 current points (banked) and 50 borrowed points from March 2010. Then I could get a studio in May 2011 with the left over points (and borrow if necessary).

So sorry to hear about your wife.

I've made a OKW 1 bedroom reservation for the beginning of May at 7 months with no problem. So the time it will take for your resale to go through should not be a problem.

Have you stayed at OKW before? I am a firm believer that you should buy where you love to stay. We had a couple of resorts that we knew for sure would be our favorites. Wouldn't you know it, they turned out to be our least favorites after we stayed there. Glad we didn't by points there.

I would look at SSR you get a longer contract and the same pricing. I am waiting on ROFR on a loaded 130 point ssr at $69 a point.:3dglasses

You can also get an extended OKW contract (or pay to extend it once you own it) and have more years on your contract than you would at SSR, which has not been given an extension yet.

Actually it's just me and the three kids. My wife passed away from cancer in October 2006.

She was the huge Disney fan. I think we were one of the few couples that spent more at the Disney Store BEFORE we had kids than afterwards.

I even proposed to her at Beauty and the Beast play here in Toronto. Over the loud speaker at intermission (no pressure there). Disney got really upset at the theatre, and wouldn't allow that again, so it was extra special knowing we were the only couple allowed to do that.

We had a Disney themed wedding, with the wedding party wearing Disney ears with their names at the reception, my wife and I in the bride and groom ears.

Going to Disneyworld was very bittersweet for me, as I so wish she could have been there with us to see the kids reactions. I started crying when they dropped the rope to MK and we strolled in.

What made the trip extra special was when my kids met Tinkerbell, she asked innocently enough where Mommy was. When the girls said that Mommy was in Heaven, Tinkerbell said to them "Well you all just hug me, and I'll fly right up to Heaven and give your Mommy those hugs." To top it all off, we saw the fireworks that night, and when the kids saw 3 heart shaped fireworks, they said in unison "Thanks for the hearts Mommy, we love you too."

I'm really debating getting the DVC, as it is a big commitment, but I think doing this would in a way would be the closest thing for us having our family as a whole. It's fun sure, but it's also a way of remembering the joy that Mommy gave to us.

Getting back to the points thing, the easiest would then be to book the 1 bedroom in 2010 with the 150 current points (banked) and 50 borrowed points from March 2010. Then I could get a studio in May 2011 with the left over points (and borrow if necessary).

Wow! If that trip wasn't Disney magic at it's best, I don't know what would be. I think it's safe to say that a DVC purchase for you and your kids would have an emotional value far greater than the purchase price could ever be!!

I'm not usually a sappy person but here's hoping your decision comes easily...:hug:
I think it's written in the stars for you to be a DVC member!

Whatever you decide to with OKW, thank you for sharing your story. I'm speechless and just want to say God speed to you and yours.

I have nothing to add but just wanted to give you a big :hug: and I think is a great thing to have such a happy place to remember your wife.

Same here. I was very touched by your post. I am sure you will give your children many magical memories. :hug:

This is one of the most touching Disney stories I've ever read!

I agree that DVC is a good choice for you, and I also think your plan to do a 1 bedroom and a studio is a good one to see what you think. Frankly, as your children grow, they will be needing more space, and those bathrooms will be important! Eventually you might find you are most comfortable in a 2 bedroom, but until then, I think you are planning the perfect number of points for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter