• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Debating Comfort Suites by Old Town vs. Pop

Lmans77

Mouseketeer
We are APs travelling 9/27-10/1 for a short budget trip - we are relatively new APs and never booked a passholder rate. We have though been to Disney many times. Its me (Mom), hubs, kids ages 11 and 8.

Currently have a reservation for Comfort Suites Maingate East which I got for a total of $345. I also get essentially an extra 8% off via my Capital One's Venture reward points by booking through hotels.com. We've stayed here before for one night and it was very nice. It was last September before a Disney cruise. It has a decent free breakfast which is always a perk. Pool is nice for a chain hotel pool and my kids like pools. We also have to get a rental car which is going to run me $170.

Then I'm perusing passholder rates and I can get Pop Century, which we've also stayed at pre renovation, for a total of $568, and then of course I could not rent a car. So the difference in price if I don't rent a car is about $50.

Of course I also save a little bit of money by having free breakfast at the Comfort Suites. If I stayed at Pop, I would probably order some cereal and milk and snacks for the kids from Amazon Prime Now for breakfast.

Other non monetary considerations: we actually like having a car and driving. DH is not a huge fan of Disney transportation but we do take them some when we stay onsite. However, my kids do like staying at Disney resorts. As you can see in my signature, we done quite a few, the last being in our camper at Fort Wilderness in June which was fun. When discussing this budget trip to my 11 year old daughter (who is way too smart) about why we were staying offsite and budgeting, she understood but asked "But can we stay at a Disney resort the next time?"
Also Comfort Suites have 2 queen beds plus a fold out couch if we want more places to spread and sleep. DH is a big guy.

Oh and an advantage of Pop would have been 60 day fast passes but we're within 30 days already so that doesn't help.

We've never done a whole offsite trip. We've only stayed offsite 3 different times for one night each before starting our Disney adventure. For this trip, we're mostly going to see the fall decor, and do food and wine (I'm the only one thats done F&W before). But we are hitting all the parks. I'm the budget bean counter in the family so this is a hard decision. So for you offsite folks, give me your advice please. I think I've answered my own question by typing this out (stay with Comfort Suites) but I'll post it anyway for opinions.

Are the accommodations at the Comfort Suites an actual suite (or junior suite)? If so, I would book that just for the space. POP is less than 300 square feet.

Don't forget to add all parking fees.
If you stay offsite and drive to parks it will cost you, $22 per day.
If you stay at POP and still rent a car it will cost you, $13 per day.

Don't forget to add all parking fees.
If you stay offsite and drive to parks it will cost you, $22 per day.
If you stay at POP and still rent a car it will cost you, $13 per day.
They have APs, so no fee to park at the parks.

Personally, my answer to onsite vs. offsite is almost always going to be offsite. Especially when you add in that you don't mind driving and dislike Disney transportation (same here), and the offsite place includes breakfast, I just don't see any advantage to staying onsite.

They have APs, so no fee to park at the parks.

Personally, my answer to onsite vs. offsite is almost always going to be offsite. Especially when you add in that you don't mind driving and dislike Disney transportation (same here), and the offsite place includes breakfast, I just don't see any advantage to staying onsite.

OOOPS .... must be past my comprehension time. :cloud9:

I would agree with you that off-site is the best in their situation, especially now with free parking.

Offsite vote here. Going to do another AP offsite staycation next week at WDW and personally can't justify the overnight resort parking fees (we stay at a local resort with no parking fee). We like the freedom and time savings we experience when driving the parks/DS.

Interesting story about AP parking....a couple of weeks ago I went to EPCOT and they scanned my MB. They then asked for my name (not the first time), but this time they asked for my I.D. I asked why and the answer the CM gave me is the vehicle in front of me had the exact same name (and my name isn't exactly John Doe). I questioned it and he/she let me in without showing it. Hmmmmm.....

freedom and time savings we experience when driving the parks/DS
I make this point all the time. Driving yourself is FASTER than using Disney transportation, with the exception of going to MK. Disney even acknowledges this when they tell you to leave 90 minutes to get from your resort to your destination if you have an ADR. 90 minutes? I could be halfway to Jacksonville by then.

Off Site. If you end up not liking it you'll know for next time. I bet you'll like having the extra living room space though. The rooms at Pop after refurb feel REALLY small.

Are the accommodations at the Comfort Suites an actual suite (or junior suite)? If so, I would book that just for the space. POP is less than 300 square feet.

Disney's Pop Century Resort rooms are 260 square feet. Personally, I can't imagine 4 people sharing that small space...even if it's "just for sleeping" as people like to say.

Although it appears that most of the rooms at the Comfort Suites Maingate East are not actual suites, they are still significantly larger. According to Expedia, the 2 queen suite is 463 square feet. Having an extra 200 square feet would make a huge difference to me.

The extra space, the easy access to slightly cheaper food, and the prospect of a shorter "commute" means Comfort Suites wins in my book.

PS. Double check the car rental right before your trip. They sometimes drop at the last minute.

I make this point all the time. Driving yourself is FASTER than using Disney transportation, with the exception of going to MK. Disney even acknowledges this when they tell you to leave 90 minutes to get from your resort to your destination if you have an ADR. 90 minutes? I could be halfway to Jacksonville by then.

Last trip DS2 and friend were staying at POP, DS1 and I were staying at Home2Suites behind the McDonalds across from the outlet mall. Not a direct shot to parks but certainly didn't bother me.

We were all at MK together but we were heading to parking lot and driving to offsite hotel, DS2 was taking bus to POP Century. We walked out the park, right on to ferry boat, walked to our car from TTC and then it was 20 minute to drive to our hotel, delayed some because there was a big incident in the parking lot that was causing a traffic issue with moving us in different ways. DS2 wasn't to POP until an hour after we were IN BED. His commute was 1.5 hours by time they finally got buses there and they were loaded and got to room. Being onsite was no advantage for them from MK.

I stayed offsite many, many times before I bought DVC 15 years ago. I also had many onsite stays at AKL, BWI, a couple of All Star values, Coronado, Contemporary, Caribbean Beach, and POR. I know that sounds like a lot - but we are talking over about 40 years.

I most often have had an AP so parking fees at the parks has never been an issue. I avoided Disney buses for decades. But after I needed an ECV the ability of the buses to transport my ECV helped a lot. We now have a new van with a lift - so it will be interesting if on the next trip if we drive or use the buses.

Offsite doesn't bother me at all - except for one time 20 years ago when I stayed at some place that was way too far away and the traffic was awful.

I own at SSR, OKW and BLT. Believe it or not we like BLT the least because it is not car friendly nor easy to drive offsite. We have many favorite restaurants that are not on property. But that is our preference - may not be anyone else's. We live in New Orleans where we have 5* restaurants that cost half of Disney prices. So the food is not a big enticement for us.

I personally don't see a big downside to staying offsite. But I'm not in love with Disney transportation or food - nor do I mind driving. I was born in Southern California, was educated in CA and spent most of my adult career in CA or TX. A car is pretty essential to me. I feel weird if I do not have a car unless I am in NY or London. But again that is a person thing. I totally understand people who hate driving on vacation.

Thank you all - you’re responses are most helpful! Dh was also in agreement with staying with Comfort Suites so we’re staying. We live in Houston so cars and having to drive places are a way of life for us. DH actually LIKES to drive and like the control. And I agree that it is shorter than Disney transportation too.
And since we have a car we’re going to hit Bahama Breeze for dinner - we love it and we do r have one here at home and much cheaper than Disney restaurants!

We always stay offsite and enjoy it. It's pretty much always going to be cheaper for what you get, even compared to a 'value' resort. Of course, we don't mind a bit of driving; we'd rather drive ourselves than wait for a bus.

If we stay onsite, it's going to be a splurge for something memorable; AKL/AKV, monorail resort, Epcot resort, etc.. Maybe my opinion on Pop/AoA will change after the Skyliner is running though. That does give them an edge in being able to immerse yourself onsite the way you do at a Deluxe.

Pretty much the same the exact same
decision we are making for our Girls Trip in mid September.
We are heavily leaning offsite too - but still have our ASMovies Preferred Room Only AP Discount Room for approx $800 still booked. (Can cancel up to 5 days in advance no penalty)
Comfort Suites cost went down since I first booked and is under $600 the last time I checked - so cancelled and rebooked.

I’m not a person whoneeds to stay onsite and likes a rental to run to an offsite meal or two (Sweet Tomatoes), a trip to Character Warehouse, get a few snacks/water, etc. and I dont want to pay the new Resort parking fees.

Also dont want to wake up to pounding on door door for security check.

So offsite already has a few things in its favor.

But also, definitely -
Extra space with couch area and queen beds
Free Breakfast value can vary for us 4 from $7ish to $40ish for breakfast if we didnt have this free option.
Microwave in room.
Hot tub! Value Disney resorts dont offer a hot tub and we use them.
24 hour pool hours at Comfort Suites
And, even with rental car factored in - $$$ savings

Even with 135+ onsite stays, I'm off site lots.

I think anyone who thinks they might try off site, I do suggest you do your homework.

- Know the types available there are so many: Hotel Rooms, Hotel Suites, Resorts with variety of rooms, Rentable Timeshare Units, Townhomes, Houses some with pools ...

- Know the avenues by which you can book and save money: Orbitz/Priceline/Booking, VRBO, AirBnB, direct, SkyAuction etc ...

- Once you narrow ........... ASK for opinions not just the complex but the surrounding area and travel to WDW. There are areas I will not stay in for various reasons.

I think if you do your homework you can have an awesome trip!! and not be onsite.

Good advice, Hopperfan.

I also recommend using a mapping website (Google Maps, Bing Maps, MapQuest) to check out the surrounding area. Marketing photos tend to hide potentially negative things like the proximity of major roadways. Aerial photos aren't always up-to-date, but they can still be helpful in some situations.

Good advice, Hopperfan.

I also recommend using a mapping website (Google Maps, Bing Maps, MapQuest) to check out the surrounding area. Marketing photos tend to hide potentially negative things like the proximity of major roadways. Aerial photos aren't always up-to-date, but they can still be helpful in some situations.

I totally agree with this ... I have spent so much time on Google maps and streetview when evaluating places to stay and the surrounding area. I feel like I know the WDW and surrounding area so much just by doing this! Also, when I get friends asking me for Disney advice and resorts to stay at, I also tell them to get on google maps and familiarize themselves where the resorts they're considering are in relation to the parks, etc.

Since it's a budget trip, I think offsite makes the most sense. While the numbers you crunched make it look like it's just a $50 difference, I think you could end up saving significantly more offsite.

Free breakfast is an obvious savings, but also consider other meals. Disney charges a premium for their food, and if you have a car, even a few offsite dinners can give you a nice discount over what you'd pay on site.

Having a car means you can take a quick trip to a regular grocery store, Target, etc. for extra sunscreen, snacks, etc. I know you can do delivery, but there's usually a minimum order, or a delivery fee, and online usually has less variety offered.

Plus, even if the prices were exactly the same, offsite you'll get more for your money. More space to spread out in. More bed space for a comfortable night's sleep. More time for sleeping or swimming or whatever because the commutes will be shorter.

I totally agree with this ... I have spent so much time on Google maps and streetview when evaluating places to stay and the surrounding area. I feel like I know the WDW and surrounding area so much just by doing this! Also, when I get friends asking me for Disney advice and resorts to stay at, I also tell them to get on google maps and familiarize themselves where the resorts they're considering are in relation to the parks, etc.

I am google maps addict, I drive virtually before I go anywhere so I know exactly what I am looking for.

When DD moved and was apartment searching, I drove over and over the downtown streets with Google Maps. When we finally went I more than once said "Oh I remember that house" ...... she would say "you've never been here" and I would reply "Oh I feel like I have been here a million times". It's great to be that aware before going somewhere.

Last edited:
I make this point all the time. Driving yourself is FASTER than using Disney transportation, with the exception of going to MK.

I can only think of one exception is staying at one of the EPCOT International Gateway hotels and using the Friendship boats. But, I wouldn't even think of driving to EPCOT if I stayed at one of these resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter