Debarkation day- WWYD?

We're in a similar situation, though an 8 pm flight. Showing up to the airport 7-8 hours before your flight is just a way to end your trip on a down-note.

We're renting a car so we've got flexibility. For a family of 4, it's not necessarily more expensive. We're planning a leisurely departure (not quite being "told" to leave the boat and definitely before being "ordered" to leave) and likely heading to Disney Springs for the late morning, lunch and most of the afternoon. We are also considering before-the-cruise one of Disney's miniature golf courses before heading to Cocoa Beach for the night before.

There's lots of things to do in Orlando that you should be able to find something fun to do. Renting a car gives you a place to store your luggage and get to something more fun than hanging out in the terminal for possibly six hours before your flight. With your age of kids, maybe go to Chef Mickeys for lunch (if you can get a reservation) before heading to the airport.

I second renting a car out of PC. Have you considered a visit to the Kennedy Space Center or Cocoa Beach until you have to go to the airport?

Unless you're wealthy and have money to burn... reward dollars should be treated no different than cash in a savings account. People will often be conservative with their cash but very liberal with rewards spending, which I could never understand.

Consider: flights from Los Angeles (and even Orange County & San Diego last year) get insanely cheap for travel from mid-August through September (although you won't see these fares until June-July). Last year we paid RT$150 (basic economy) for a Labor Day weekend trip. (Delta, United & American were all the same price, and most flights were available).

Instead of spending that money on an extra day during one of the busiest times of the year, I'd take a quick Labor Day weekend trip instead. The hotel will be cheaper, too, so you'll stretch your dollars. IMO, the kids would love Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween party ... versus during a post-cruise trip.

I do not enjoy sitting /waiting in airports.

If the return home is late afternoon but I have the option to catch the morning flight the following day (that was too early on disembarkation day), I prefer to stay in Orlando.

Preferably at a resort that has a nice pool - because cruise ships have cow watering hole size pools. 🤭

Just pack your swimsuits in a small bag and leave your luggage with the Bell Hop if your room is not ready. Have lunch. Have dinner. Sleep and get up and to the plane for the first flight the next morning.

And, yes, too hot and humid in Orlando in July to visit parks - that would be exhausting.

I do not enjoy sitting /waiting in airports.

If the return home is late afternoon but I have the option to catch the morning flight the following day (that was too early on disembarkation day), I prefer to stay in Orlando.

Alternatively, you could sleep in (later), leave the room as latest as possible, go to the buffet for a late breakfast and exit the ship around 10AM - 10:30AM. By the time you clear immigration and take the shuttle to the airport, it'll be after 1PM. There's plenty to do at MCO to kill a few hours :).

So no morning nap? Some 2s still do one, some don't. But that gives a little more twist -- what kind of "creature" will the 2-yr-old become by 4:50pm if she hasn't taken any nap all day? Maybe the morning flight is a better option...

Yeah, my 2yo is very much a midday napper, pretty much 2-4 PM is her window. I'm thinking of just nixing the 4:50 flight altogether, because she will almost certainly fall asleep well before the flight and then be up (and, if last year's flight is anything to go by, very fussy) during the 5 hrs home.

Alternatively, you could sleep in (later), leave the room as latest as possible, go to the buffet for a late breakfast and exit the ship around 10AM - 10:30AM. By the time you clear immigration and take the shuttle to the airport, it'll be after 1PM. There's plenty to do at MCO to kill a few hours :).
It would be great to sleep in - but the announcements in the hallway and the need to clear the room by 8 or 8:30 makes that impossible for me. And, yes, an early morning flight the next day is too early for me, too.

And I “prefer” to stay overnight, but I end up flying home late afternoon most of the time. But given available time and money and the right circumstances, I would not sit in an airport. We have been fortunate to utilize the airline lounge at times when the wait is long; it helps, having included food, WiFi, more comfortable seating… but that isn’t every trip (and Delta Amex keeps changing admission policies and fees).

I have killed many hours at MCO, but never really lived those hours. I must be doing something wrong. Although the last time, I enjoyed talking with a boy about the new TRON ride and got some useful information.

I don’t travel with children. The thought of attending them for hours in an airport is not my idea of fun.

Unless you're wealthy and have money to burn... reward dollars should be treated no different than cash in a savings account. People will often be conservative with their cash but very liberal with rewards spending, which I could never understand.

Consider: flights from Los Angeles (and even Orange County & San Diego last year) get insanely cheap for travel from mid-August through September (although you won't see these fares until June-July). Last year we paid RT$150 (basic economy) for a Labor Day weekend trip. (Delta, United & American were all the same price, and most flights were available).

Instead of spending that money on an extra day during one of the busiest times of the year, I'd take a quick Labor Day weekend trip instead. The hotel will be cheaper, too, so you'll stretch your dollars. IMO, the kids would love Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween party ... versus during a post-cruise trip.

I would looove to go back to WDW then, but there is just no way my husband would sign off on another cross-country Disney trip two months after this one, LOL! Also, our schools start up in August here in LA. It is a fun idea though!

What airline are you flying on?

I would take my team in a leisurely way getting off the boat and then slowly make my way over to MCO, maybe stopping for lunch somewhere you’d enjoy, and then heading to the SkyClub or the other lounges available at MCO, and look into a credit card that would guarantee you access to one.

We just got off the Wish last week and had a 3:30pm flight. Same as you, we considered tacking on a night at WDW rather than sitting in the airport all day. I remember saying to my husband as we disembarked, “I’m so glad we didn’t add a day!” Everyone was exhausted and ready to get home and unpacking for just 1 more night would’ve been a hassle. We did try to get a day room at the Hyatt - which sounds liked it’d be a great option for you - but it was sold out. We just sat on a bench and had some snacks and let the kids use all the screens they had been missing all week - it really wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

Just keep in mind most airlines only accept luggage a certain number of hours before the flight (Breeze was 2 hours) so you’re stuck outside security with your luggage til then.

I would looove to go back to WDW then, but there is just no way my husband would sign off on another cross-country Disney trip two months after this one, LOL! Also, our schools start up in August here in LA. It is a fun idea though!

I understand, people think we're crazy for flying to FL for a weekend, but a combination of the low pricing + smaller crowds make it too tempting for me to pass up.

It would be great to sleep in - but the announcements in the hallway and the need to clear the room by 8 or 8:30 makes that impossible for me. And, yes, an early morning flight the next day is too early for me, too.

And I “prefer” to stay overnight, but I end up flying home late afternoon most of the time. But given available time and money and the right circumstances, I would not sit in an airport. We have been fortunate to utilize the airline lounge at times when the wait is long; it helps, having included food, WiFi, more comfortable seating… but that isn’t every trip (and Delta Amex keeps changing admission policies and fees).

I have killed many hours at MCO, but never really lived those hours. I must be doing something wrong. Although the last time, I enjoyed talking with a boy about the new TRON ride and got some useful information.

I don’t travel with children. The thought of attending them for hours in an airport is not my idea of fun.

Yup, this!! Keeping the kids entertained for hours in an airport is the opposite of relaxing, and while I would totally be up for renting a car and sightseeing on the way to MCO if it was an adults trip, or just us with our 7yo, managing our toddler's nap schedule earlier in the day and having her wide awake for the 5-hour flight is...not ideal, LOL. My son is great at keeping himself busy with Nintendo and movies, but my daughter is too young to be entertained by the iPad for longer than like a 40-minute stretch. So... I think I am going to extend the Disney magic by one more day!

Now my next question, if you all aren't sick of me yet 😂 is if you would choose Yacht or Beach or Contemporary? Initially I was thinking Yacht/Beach for the whole Stormalong experience, and especially if the pools on the Wish are too small and crowded for us to get a lot of pool time in on the ship, this could be our big pool day. However, after the cruise and Castaway Cay, will we have had our fill of the beach/pool vibes, and would something like Contemporary and resort-hopping on the monorail and catching the fireworks be a more special way to end the trip? Particularly because I am obsessed with 'Ohana, and honestly dinner there would make the room cost worth it, LOL!! (Poly is too high that night, but Contemporary is feasible.) OR, do you typically come off the cruise so stuffed that you wouldn't even want 'Ohana? This will be our first Disney cruise, so would be grateful for opinions here!

I'm with you. After spending most of my career as a road warrior, I generally avoid overnighters. I'd rather fly directly home and be in my own bed... just too much of a hassle IMO. But I've had my fill and I know others haven't.

I enjoy gawking at planes and people watching, so the time spent in an airport isn't an issue (for me at least).

Keep in mind, if you have checked bags, many airlines won't let you check them until 4 hours before the flight. So you won't be able to go through security until you've checked the bags. MCO has a lot to do pre-security (shops, restaurants, etc.), which is nice. But you still have to haul those checked bags around until you can check them.

I think the Day Room at the Hyatt is an excellent idea! Great pool, plane watching, nice little restaurant, giant TV in the room. Lots of time can be spent in the airport as well lots of shops, fast food, Starbucks, a fountain, people watching. One of the few airports that has so many shops landside. Some only have a Dunkin Donuts and hardly any seating.

How do you do that? Aren't you forced to leave the room by a certain time and breakfast is stop being served?

How do you do that? Aren't you forced to leave the room by a certain time and breakfast is stop being served?

You can stay in the room until 8AM (sometimes as late as 9AM; if you tip well, your room attendant won't care if you stay slightly over). They stop cooking breakfast at a certain time point, but in my experiences, they usually leave the food out in the buffet late. Final disembarkation calls are around 9:30AM - 10AM.

You can’t stay in the cabin or on the ship that late. You need to leave the cabin by 8, and the ship, 9:30 at the latest.

I've yet to be on a Disney cruise that finished disembarkation before 10AM.

Why would your room attendant “not care” if you stay in the cabin until 9? They have to flip all those cabins by the time a few thousand more guests arrive in a few hours. Cabanas closes at 8:30 sharp. I have a good time on my cruise but overstaying your welcome is just plain rude. IMHO.

Which resort? Yacht, Beach or Contemporary?

Is there one you haven’t tried? Or a favorite that doesn’t get your time when you use it as a base for park days?

Can you see the MK Fireworks from Contemporary? 👍

Polynesian has been remodeled? And is connected by Monorail to Contemporary? Can you get reservations at O’hana? Early dinner and then back to Contemporary for fireworks and bed? Or is that too late for kids?

I am all ? on this one. I don’t spend a lot of time in Deluxe resorts; only have stayed in Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom, which is my favorite WDW property. I love the lobby and seeing the animals. The pool is really large, with a zero entry.

> After a cruise, you have been stuffing your face - so stretching your stomach 🤭. Or you didn’t really care that much for the food and are happy to eat something you love.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter