Dear Pentaxians, the gods have answered! Full Frame to come in 2015!

Ricoh/Pentax surprised me again today with the release of a new camera body (KS-2), another new lens (18-50 f4-5.6 collapsible), updated rugged WG-5 GPS camera and a new inexpensive all-weather flash (AF201FG).

This is almost like we have a real camera company!

http://www.dpreview.com/

Last edited:
The KS-2 appears to be a replacement for the K30/K50. So far, everyone has been very impressed with it, especially at the release price point of $697 for body only. For that you get WR, Wifi, articulating 3" monitor, pentaprism viewfinder, no AA filter however has a AA filter simulation mode if needed, like all newer Pentax bodies it has the improved IBIS, and looks to have some interesting video functions that I will have to let others explain (I'm not a videographer!!).

Its an impressive array of amenities for that price and it comes in colors!

Things just keep getting better! Ricoh just released the 2015+ lens road map and it includes a large diameter zoom somewhere in the range of 24/25-70mm. Large diameter usually means f2.8. This could be the companion to the 70-200 that many of us sports shooters have been looking for. I haven't felt this positive for the Pentax brand in a long time!!:yay:

Are you Pentaxians excited about the new K-1?

Looks like a great FF camera, especially for the price.

Are you Pentaxians excited about the new K-1?

Looks like a great FF camera, especially for the price.

With no offense intended to Pentax fans, isn't a bit too little, too late?
Yes, looks like a great camera body for the price.
But how many full frame lenses does Pentax offer?

Is it too late for a new traditional-dSLR full frame system to start from the ground up?
Will there be enough demand to warrant developing a full assortment of full frame lenses? Sony has had sufficient demand, because they are the ONLY mirrorless full frame game in town. Plus, you were able to adapt lenses. So I think it attracted some full frame buyers who were willing to wait for the native lenses.

But if I was buying a full frame camera for the first time now... In a price range where I can get the Pentax K1, or the Canon 6D, or the Nikon D610, or the D750, or the Sony A7ii....

This offering seems solely aimed at giving existing Pentax loyal users an upgrade path. It may keep some Pentax users from switching to Canon/Nikon/Sony. I just don't see it about brand growth though.

At the time of launch, Ricoh offers approximately 12 FA and DFA full-frame lenses. This list includes five FA primes, including the 31, 43 and 77mm 'Limited' series. On top of these there are five D FA zooms: a 15-30mm F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8 and 70-200mm F2.8, along with the newly-announced 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 and the 150-450mm F4.5-5.6. Finally, there are two D FA macro lenses: a 50mm and a 100mm.

At the time of launch, Ricoh offers approximately 12 FA and DFA full-frame lenses. This list includes five FA primes, including the 31, 43 and 77mm 'Limited' series. On top of these there are five D FA zooms: a 15-30mm F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8 and 70-200mm F2.8, along with the newly-announced 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 and the 150-450mm F4.5-5.6. Finally, there are two D FA macro lenses: a 50mm and a 100mm.

Wow, didn't realize they filled out the line that quickly. Moved a heck of a lot faster than Sony moved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter