Dear Pentaxians, the gods have answered! Full Frame to come in 2015!

It has been a very good day for us Pentax sports shooters. Even though I have been happy with my Sigma's (28-70 f2.8 DG EX and 70-200 f2.8 DG EX HSM II) on the k5 series of cameras, I am really looking forward to the new FF in-body stabilized weather resistant camera body and the 70-200. Yes it is/or will be a little pricey, but the announced prices for the lenses is right in the ballpark with the Canikons, plus the lenses will be weather resistant. Major steps forward for the Pentax brand. Thank you Ricoh!! Now I need to start working on them to introduce a 24-70 f2.8. I guess I'm never satisfied!:jumping1:

It has been a very good day for us Pentax sports shooters. Even though I have been happy with my Sigma's (28-70 f2.8 DG EX and 70-200 f2.8 DG EX HSM II) on the k5 series of cameras, I am really looking forward to the new FF in-body stabilized weather resistant camera body and the 70-200. Yes it is/or will be a little pricey, but the announced prices for the lenses is right in the ballpark with the Canikons, plus the lenses will be weather resistant. Major steps forward for the Pentax brand. Thank you Ricoh!! Now I need to start working on them to introduce a 24-70 f2.8. I guess I'm never satisfied!:jumping1:

Both the Canon, and Nikon lenses are weather sealed, and have IS. The Canon is $2199, and is one of the best zoom lenses ever, optically speaking. So the Pentax is the same price, but doesn't have IS (I know most Pentaxs have IBIS).

Trust me, I don't care to argue who or what is the best. Each of us has/had a reason to choose our manufacturers. I don't know the Canikon brands as well as I do the Pentax brand (been shooting Pentax for 35 years). We can go round and round about IS vs IBIS, for what purpose? I'm not switching anytime soon or ever. This was a good day for us Pentax shooters, especially for us loyal shooters who just happen to shoot sports. I can see myself carrying a FF and an APS-C as I now carry two APS-C's for work. Both have advantages that I would like to fully exploit. However until I actually see the FF, I am going to try to downplay my excitement since Pentax in 2001 announced a FF prototype that did not come to fruition. I am hoping that Ricoh will complete the process of actually producing a FF. Until then, just hoping.:)

Interesting timing, with declining camera sales in general. With industry publications claiming that mirrorless will replace traditional dslrs. (Though mirrorless growth isn't exactly leaps and bounds either).
Every dslr camera maker has taken a different direction to remain profitable through the shrinking camera market: Sony has nearly abandoned traditional dSLRs, and is betting the house on mirrorless, especially full frame mirrorless where they are basically alone. Nikon has pushed rapid succession of full frame models, trying to "upsell" their customers into more expensive camera bodies and lenses. Canon, as the market leader, has somewhat taken a more passive role, reacting more than acting -- but they have heavily focused on continued APS-C development (the 7dii, and they are about to launch 2 new 24 mp Rebels), though they are now going mega high resolution with 50 mp, and they are basically re-launching their own mirrorless. So Canon seems to be trying almost everything, all at once.

I'm very happy for Pentax users. And happy in general, because more options are good for all of us. Though I wonder how successful this will be for Pentax -- What about a full frame Pentax, with only 2 native lenses, will attract *new* users? Will it be a huge seller to current Pentax users? Those who lusted for full frame, probably mostly weren't shooting Pentax anyway... And most of their lenses will only work in a crop mode anyway.

Trust me, I don't care to argue who or what is the best. Each of us has/had a reason to choose our manufacturers. I don't know the Canikon brands as well as I do the Pentax brand (been shooting Pentax for 35 years). We can go round and round about IS vs IBIS, for what purpose? I'm not switching anytime soon or ever. This was a good day for us Pentax shooters, especially for us loyal shooters who just happen to shoot sports. I can see myself carrying a FF and an APS-C as I now carry two APS-C's for work. Both have advantages that I would like to fully exploit. However until I actually see the FF, I am going to try to downplay my excitement since Pentax in 2001 announced a FF prototype that did not come to fruition. I am hoping that Ricoh will complete the process of actually producing a FF. Until then, just hoping.:)

It is good news! More competition is also very good, I'm just worried about price, this lens is in the higher range of price vs the big two, is their full frame body going to be $3500? Seems a lot to pay when it's a catch up product.

I assume there are still full frame lenses from back in the film days? It's still the same mount right?

From what I have read, it will be using the same K mount and will be able to mount all the old lenses including the M42 screw mount with an adapter. Its also supposed to have a crop function to allow for the use of APS-C only lenses. That sounds like a nice feature. That would make the body, backward compatible with every K mount lens ever produced. Obviously, many of the older lenses would be manual only lenses. On another forum there is a Pentax insider that feeds the forum information. He states that the camera will be competitively priced, whatever that means.

From what I have read, it will be using the same K mount and will be able to mount all the old lenses including the M42 screw mount with an adapter. Its also supposed to have a crop function to allow for the use of APS-C only lenses. That sounds like a nice feature. That would make the body, backward compatible with every K mount lens ever produced. Obviously, many of the older lenses would be manual only lenses. On another forum there is a Pentax insider that feeds the forum information. He states that the camera will be competitively priced, whatever that means.

Sony and Nikon full frame cameras are compatible with APS-C lenses in the same way. But unfortunately, it really is a last-resort. On a 24mp body, when you use an APS-C lens, you get a 10mp image. So there really is no advantage to using an APS-C lens on a full frame body, except to keep some use of the lens. But you'd still be better off simply using that lens on a native APS-C body.

The new 50mp Canon will give something like a 20mp image when 1.6 crop is applied. So IF the new Pentax is a 50mp body, then even the crop would be pretty high resolution.

Sony and Nikon full frame cameras are compatible with APS-C lenses in the same way. But unfortunately, it really is a last-resort. On a 24mp body, when you use an APS-C lens, you get a 10mp image. So there really is no advantage to using an APS-C lens on a full frame body, except to keep some use of the lens. But you'd still be better off simply using that lens on a native APS-C body.

The new 50mp Canon will give something like a 20mp image when 1.6 crop is applied. So IF the new Pentax is a 50mp body, then even the crop would be pretty high resolution.

I would guess the Pentax will be using a Sony sensor, like they do in many of their other DSLRs. So I expect it to be similar to the a7 ii (24 mp) or the D810 (36 mp), not as high as the new Canon.

I would guess the Pentax will be using a Sony sensor, like they do in many of their other DSLRs. So I expect it to be similar to the a7 ii (24 mp) or the D810 (36 mp), not as high as the new Canon.

Sony is rumored to be releasing their own 50mp sensor shortly. So who knows.

If spending the money to go full frame to what amounts to a new system regardless of what direction you go, I think it makes infinitely more sense to go with Canon, Nikon, or Sony.

Not just in terms of lens lineup, but in a basic, "who will still be supporting their systems 5 years from now" sense.

If spending the money to go full frame to what amounts to a new system regardless of what direction you go, I think it makes infinitely more sense to go with Canon, Nikon, or Sony.

Not just in terms of lens lineup, but in a basic, "who will still be supporting their systems 5 years from now" sense.

It would not be fun to sink $5 or $6 grand into this new Pentax system only for Ricoh to decide sales weren't high enough to justify development costs of more lenses.

What we are hearing is it may be the 36 mp sensor. So in the crop mode that would make the images 16.7 mp which is nearly the same as the K5 series of cameras that I currently use. That would work for me.

It would not be fun to sink $5 or $6 grand into this new Pentax system only for Ricoh to decide sales weren't high enough to justify development costs of more lenses.

Everyone must remember just because it is a new camera body, the system hasn't changed. In addition to the Pentax DA (APS-C) lenses, Pentax produces 8 FA lenses that are designed for FF. Plus there are all the older lenses and the third party lenses. The three lenses that I primarily use are all Sigma FF designed lenses that I use on my K5 series (APS-C) cameras. While the new Pentax 70-200 f2.8 is a lens I would probably like to get, I not going to run out and drop $2,300 just to replace my Sigma 70-200 f2.8 DG EX HSM II. If I am able to afford the FF body, I probably will always have an APS-C body. Both FF and APS-C have advantages that can be taken and used effectively.

Everyone must remember just because it is a new camera body, the system hasn't changed. In addition to the Pentax DA (APS-C) lenses, Pentax produces 8 FA lenses that are designed for FF. Plus there are all the older lenses and the third party lenses. The three lenses that I primarily use are all Sigma FF designed lenses that I use on my K5 series (APS-C) cameras. While the new Pentax 70-200 f2.8 is a lens I would probably like to get, I not going to run out and drop $2,300 just to replace my Sigma 70-200 f2.8 DG EX HSM II. If I am able to afford the FF body, I probably will always have an APS-C body. Both FF and APS-C have advantages that can be taken and used effectively.

I hope for Pentax users it's a good camera, the Nikon, Sony & Canon competition all make amazing FF offerings.

Time will tell. The manufacturers today are producing cameras we could only dream of a short 5-10 years ago. Trying to keep up with all the new cameras and technology is a near impossible task. It one of the reasons I no longer respond to requests for information on "which camera should I buy"?!

At this point for me I keep using my 2 K5's. Which I love. I'll buy a K3 in the future as the price keeps dropping. I figure I'm good for 2 years or so. By then the FF should be out a year or so and I'll pick it up at 1/2 price hopefully. Its just nice to know there a future for now.

At this point for me I keep using my 2 K5's. Which I love. I'll buy a K3 in the future as the price keeps dropping. I figure I'm good for 2 years or so. By then the FF should be out a year or so and I'll pick it up at 1/2 price hopefully. Its just nice to know there a future for now.

I'm with you!! For what I shoot, I am perfectly happy with my 2- k5's, K5iis and K30. All have the 16mp Sony sensor that I love. I don't know if I'm sold on the K3 yet. I'm not convinced the 24mp sensor is as good in lowlight. I have been told that it is if you shoot it at 16mp! Why would I do that? The sensor aside, there just isn't enough to force me to upgrade yet. I do like Ricoh's new lens lineup. The WR 70-200 f2.8 is something I would really be interested in (I shoot in a lot of bad conditions). Although my Sigma works well, the extra peace of mind of WR will be worth it. I will have to wait until my off season because I would have to sell the Sigma and apply those funds to the Pentax. I just can't be without a 70-200 right now. By that time maybe the street price for the Pentax will have stabilized a little lower.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter