DDP with 2 adults, 6 yo DD, 2 yo DD...worth it?

Elmo888

DIS Veteran
We haven't taken the girls anywhere, and I just don't know what we will be up for. I don't know if we will have a TS meal every day, which seems to be the only way DDP is worth it. Anyone else travel with small children and decide for or against the DDP? Both DDs do very well in restaurants, but I know that we will have to go back to the hotel to rest with the 2 yo and I don't want to spend time trying to find a sit down just to get my money's worth. It seems totally worth it for 2 adults who can rush from place to place and get where they need to be easily, but with small children?

We are going for 6 nights, and we haven't had a vacation in over 5 years (by the time we go, January, 2007). I want to be relaxed and take things slowly. I am planning on just one character meal at Cinderella's Royal Table. If we went with the DDP, I would probably plan on another with Mickey. I guess that I just don't want to "have to" get somewhere. DH thinks that we will eat a TS meal in the late afternoon, after 2 yo DD's nap, as we did when we went just the two of us. I'm just looking for someone with more experience traveling with small children.

Any experience/advice? This decision is holding up my hotel reservations because I was set on "room only" but someone mentioned the DDP and now I'm confused! Thanks!

We did the DDP when it was me and DD7 and we found it worthwhile. For about what we would have spent on CS meals, we got to go to character meals and TS places.

Scheduling is the key with little ones, though. You're right that you don't want to be in EPCOT with 10 minutes to get to the Contemporary for a meal..... Since we don't go commando, I scheduled some breakfast buffets on days I wasn't sure where we'd be. That allowed us to start the day with a good meal, then do what we wanted to afterwards - same park or leisurely hop to another park. The same system would work if you schedule meals after your afternoon break - it wouldn't matter all that much where you were eating. If you know where you'll be each day, you can schedule lunch or dinner for that place. In January, you should also have a decent chance of being able to change your reservations if you change your mind about where you want to be.

That said, the plan isn't for everyone. If you don't want to plan a TS meal each day, it really may not be worth it. On our first trip (no DDP), we took it easy and kind of ate where we were when we got hungry and we had a ball! It's harder now to just drop into a TS place and get a spot, but depending on your dates, may be possible.

A lot depends on what you want out of your vacation. Read up on the DDP, play with some numbers and schedules, and see what you're comfortable with.

On another note - you should be able to make your room-only res, then change it to a pakcage later. This would at least assure you that you have a room......

We are going to try the DDP w/a 4 yr old & 1 yr old in 2 weeks....Wasn't going to but now SIL & kids are going & she wants to do some character meals....the Princess dinner alone makes it seem worth it for myself & DD4. Remember, some meals , like CRT, count for 2 so if you go to another TS meal that counts as 2 you'd almost have your quota...I too am worried about naps/timing...we've scheduled a 4:30 dinner one night & a CMbreakfast +2 w/SIL. Don't know what we'll end up doing...I think Rainforest would be enjoyable & the meals can be expensive . We aren't fru'fru eaters & usually don't do desserts but a couple of times. The "budgeteer" in me believes it is worth it but we'll see.

Probably what else is important is the time of year....we love the low crowds in May but if you were trying to do sitdowns in July & do the DDP--I don't think I would bother trying to rush ANYWHERE because of the crowds.

With little ones, we did a lot of character meals. If you do a character dinner each day, the DDP is well worth the $. However, if you eat more casually (CS), it may not be.

As to the plan stressing people out, it doesn't do that for us. We make ADRs ahead of time, but can always change them after we arrive if desired. The biggest planning issue is which park you will do (or will this be a pool day) and then choosing the restaurant to correspond with the park choice.

We first went when the kids were 6, 4, and 1 (this in pre DDP days). Yet we did a TS meal every night because it's nice for both us and the kids to sit down and chill after busy days. If you do the morning in a park, the afternoon at the pool and napping, you'll be ready to go somewhere, even in your resort, for a TS dinner. Plus, Disney TS meals are an experience by themselves. You should just plan to spend the evening nearby where you'll be dining, and be reasonable in travel. We stayed at WL and the only other resort we ate at was the Contemporary (for Chef Mickey). We ate at TS at Epcot and MK again because I didn't want to travel all over with the kids. Now my kids are older, so we're going more places.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter