• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DDP & DVC disagrement..

jennib5426

DIS Veteran
There are 8 of us going to BCV in 10 days, 4 adults, 4 kids. The other family called me yesterday and wants to do the DDP, our family doesn't want to. We have all done it in the past and at $46 per adult now, I don't think its a good deal anymore.
I have Tables in Wonderland for discount on all table service (which all 8 of us can use) and accourding to my math my family of 3 would waste money on DDP.
My friend got very mad when I said we didn't want to do it because everyone in the room has to sign up.

It's my DVC points and I am taking my friends for free, why is she making me feel bad about saying no to DDP..

I don't know how to assure her she won't be losing money by not getting DDP?

We have had this same issue in the past. The DDP does not work for our family, and bottom line is it's your points so if you don't want DDP you shouldn't get it. Maybe you should sit down with your friend and go over some menus, looking at what you may actually order, not what you would order with DDP, take off the 20% for TIW, remind her that includes alcohol and that you still have to tip with the DDP, and I'm sure she will be able to see that it's a better deal that way. Also we find that many places portions are large enough to share. Often my DD and I will split an appetizer and an entree.

Good luck. I know these situations get touchy, but in the end your friends would be spending a heck of a lot more if they didn't have a room for free!!

I would say the person that has the room makes the decision. I hope you can work this out, because honestly if she is getting mad at you over this, I am afraid you are off to a rough start.

You're supplying her with a DVC room for free. All room-based decisions are yours to make. How is it she'll loose money? Is she looking at the 'free dining' offers out there? If so, she needs educating.

Did you bring the subject of DDP on DVC reservations up? Maybe she's confused by what can and can't be done.

My opinion: If she still upset and wants to go to WDW and have DDP, she can always rent her own room. I'd tell her DVC rules are that DP cannot be added to only some occupants of a room.

Show her the rack rate thread!:rotfl:

Or she can pay for your DDP as a thank you for providing the room.

Will you have all your meals together so that she can benefit from TIW? If not, I would not even mention it.

If she cant figure out how to pay for her meals without imposing on you and costing you additional money, then :scared1:

If you want to be nice, you could offer to segment, but that is a PITA and I stand by that until I see different. Do you already have ADRs?

And how mad did she get?:rolleyes1

I would say the person that has the room makes the decision. I hope you can work this out, because honestly if she is getting mad at you over this, I am afraid you are off to a rough start.
Agreed, this is unlikely to turnout well no matter what happens from here out.

This is why I treat my guests to studios. Then they can do whatever they want.

IMO they are your points, you don't have to justify anything.

Wow......I hope you have a great trip....but I recognize ungratefullness when I see it. They should appreciate your expertise. Unless they think they won't have access to TIW???

Wow......I hope you have a great trip....but I recognize ungratefullness when I see it. They should appreciate your expertise. Unless they think they won't have access to TIW???

Yeah, I was thinking ungrateful. If someone was paying my room, I would not balk at paying full price for my meals or finding other alternatives.
My advice is to separate.

I would not want every meal to end with them glaring at their bill (TIW or not) and then at me!

Hopefully it is a 2 br lock off!:rotfl:

I would charge her the price of the DDP that you would pay for your family to be on it. Then go ahead and order it for everyone. Situations where the family is treated for "free" accommodations seldom seem to work out very well IMHO.

Best wishes to you..

This is why I treat my guests to studios. Then they can do whatever they want.

IMO they are your points, you don't have to justify anything.

Okay, I'm going to sound dumb. We're renting 2 2-Bdrms and 1 Studio all under the same Travel Plan for a December trip.

I can break it up the DDP by room???? I thought it was an all or nothing thing!

She thinks because her kids are big eaters the DDP is the way to go but they are all under 10 so they only get the kids meals.
We will figure it out, we have 4 dinners book together at buffet type places so we will all get the TIW discount, at least there the kids can eat till the pop.
This same family and I did the DDP plan back in 2008 so we all now how it works and it's just to much food when you have a full kitchen back in the room.

We will get over this hump, we have been best friends for 25 years.
That may be the problem we are more like sisters..LOL

There were no ADR's left at this point to make the DDP work..LOL

Okay, I'm going to sound dumb. We're renting 2 2-Bdrms and 1 Studio all under the same Travel Plan for a December trip.

I can break it up the DDP by room???? I thought it was an all or nothing thing!

Yes you can break it up by room so only those people in the room can be on the dining plan, not everyone on that will be there, if they are staying in a different room they don't need to pay for it.

I wouldn't even let family get away with taking my generosity for granted. I don't want to lord it over them when I take them but arguing with me about a meal plan just would not fly.

I guess some people see points and forget there are real dollars behind them.

We have enough points to take someone with us on each trip if we chose but that would cut down on how much we could do for ourselves. Those points serving to provide us with vacations are why we bought in, taking family or friends every other year is something we have done since the very beginning but someone giving me grief over a meal plan could easily dry up future offers to that family member or friend.

I have a detailed accounting of several trips we took I could show your friend. We used DDP for two of those trips and TIW alone for one. I kept all the receipts and compared it to what we paid on the DDP. Both DDP trips were a couple of hundred dollars more than the TIW trip.

We are just two adults, and maybe it's a better deal with kids under 10. I don't know many 10 year old boys who would eat a kid's meal every meal though.

I would say break it down simplistically for them, either they can pay for all of you (including your family) to be on DDP or math out how much it will be for their meals only paying for their family with TIW discount. Then the choice is up to them.

My opinion: If she still upset and wants to go to WDW and have DDP, she can always rent her own room. I'd tell her DVC rules are that DP cannot be added to only some occupants of a room.
Couldn't put it any better!

Your reservation, your points, and your generousity! Your friend needs an attitude adjustment!;)

Good luck, and sorry you have to be made to feel bad or guilty for doing a wonderful thing. Hope it turns out O.K., if you are truly friends, I'm sure it will!

If she has two children under age 10, chances are the DDP would work better for her. For that $11-12 child DDP fee you can dine at a buffet which normally costs $15-17 per child. So she's saving on the one meal and the CS meal plus snack are essentially free.

Do that over the course of a trip and you can still save quite a bit even if the adults are a break-even.

That said, she may do better on the TIW since the adult meals tend to get better discounts.

If it continues to be an issue, you may have to spend a few minutes and map it out for her. Since you know where you will be dining, calculate the approximate cash costs less your 20% and compare that to the DDP prices for the week. The DDP may be marginally lower given the two kids, but probably not as much as she expects if she is continuing to pout over the matter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter