DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Hey, Gents! How's it going? Things are well here on my end, and ummmm, yeah. That's all I've got. Have a good day, and we'll chat throughout.

TTFN

Given this group you would be surprised how many guys aren't hammered on the calls.

That's reassuring.

Welcome! I did the same before posting too, lots of looking and trying the right group that enjoys Disney as much as me. That’s one of the many reasons why I’m looking forward to moving back! Only about 1.5 months left before an hour drive from Lakeland to the parks! Anyway welcome again!!

When I joined the DisDads I had been a member of the Dis for years, hovering around the Resorts and Community Boards and not really venturing out to explore other boards all that much. It wasn't until long after my DD was born that I decided explore the family board, knowing that I'd eventually take a trip to the World with the family. It was then that I discovered the DisDads, and well, I've been here ever since. I enjoy it here.

Morning Guys,

time to break out the flip flops, heading just above the freezing mark today. Time to head to the beach.

Meeting with an architect this morning to go over our power and networking cable requirements for our new space. Other than that it should be a quiet day.

Have a good one all.

My name's Nick, and I am a Disney Addict.

Welcome aboard, Nick!

Funny. I was just having a similar conversation with my mom and she too asked why we can go to Walmart but can't go to church. I don't have all the answers, but guessed (and I stress, that's a guess) that it was a question of duration. I have heard that it's recommended that you go out as little as possible and when you do, you do so as quickly as possible. i.e. go to Walmart, get your thing and get out. The likelihood of contracting the virus goes up with sustained contact. In a church (or restaurant (ours are still closed)) you remain for much longer. Or at least, that's my thought on possibly the "why" of it.

Yep, that's part of it. The other part is having lots of people singing in an enclosed space. They've shown a few major outbreaks from churches that come from both the extended time indoors with a large group and singing. Our church has been able to meet in person, but we've had strict rules about the number of people allowed, distancing, and masks on at all times. We haven't had any outbreaks at all, so that is telling me that the masks work. Other churches in our area have met, not enforced the mask rule, and had outbreaks.

Anyone else picturing Doc on his Schwinn with a banana seat?

:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Looks strange.

200.gif

I mean, uh...welcome!

Morning Guys,

time to break out the flip flops, heading just above the freezing mark today. Time to head to the beach.

Meeting with an architect this morning to go over our power and networking cable requirements for our new space. Other than that it should be a quiet day.

Have a good one all.

Several years ago, somewhere around 17 years ago, the month of January was below 0 degrees for the majority of the month. If memory serves, I believe the temps were usually -10 degrees or more. Anyways, when it finally reached 32 degrees above zero, I remember walking around outside with no jacket because it felt so warm.

Yep, that's part of it. The other part is having lots of people singing in an enclosed space. They've shown a few major outbreaks from churches that come from both the extended time indoors with a large group and singing. Our church has been able to meet in person, but we've had strict rules about the number of people allowed, distancing, and masks on at all times. We haven't had any outbreaks at all, so that is telling me that the masks work. Other churches in our area have met, not enforced the mask rule, and had outbreaks.

I wear my mask everywhere, and avoid large crowds if possible...don't know why there are those who don't do this.

Finally had to shave the beard to go for my mask fitting. I may get lots of shots today. We will see.

See, I gotta disagree. Maybe you went to Taco Bell before your round, and now you're on the 5th hole, a long way from the clubhouse. Best you can hope for is a porta-potty, but most likely you're just trying to go in the woods. Golf ****s are the worst.

I noticed that typo, but don't play golf enough to know that difference. :lmao:

I had many of the same responsibilities for the Americas (incl Canada) but yep starting to phase out of some things and into others.

Mike is trying to take over the world. Pinky and the Brain are available for consult.

Hellllllllllllllllllllllllo DISDads!

This is the first that I've run across this post, and I'm sad that I haven't found it sooner! I've been lurking around the boards for some time, but finally made an account back last year. I'm petitioning here to be a new member of this great sub-community on the DIS Boards. I know the first page mentioned to introduce myself, so here goes...

My name's Nick, and I am a Disney Addict. (Hi, Nick.) Wait - wrong group for that 😂

I have been a Disney fan since birth. I was born in Orlando and grew up going to the parks. I'm 29 - turning 30 here soon! February 14th is my birthday. I have 2 little girls, ages 4 & 2. I have been married to my beautiful wife now for almost 6 years - and we have an anniversary trip planned for March! I am a nurse and work full time for the VA (Dept of Veteran's Affairs). I love what I do, and the great Vets I get to take care of. I have some side hobbies that don't get much time these days, but I enjoy woodworking, computers, going to Disney, and video games. I run a Disney social media page on Facebook (that's where my username is from) and it's not big but I have a great fan base so far.

I hope everyone local here is enjoying the cooler weather! Looks like another cold front this week is coming through. Great news for me, I'm cutting all sorts of jungle down so I can start installing our wood fence. Plenty of wood for bonfires this week.

Welcome.

Funny. I was just having a similar conversation with my mom and she too asked why we can go to Walmart but can't go to church. I don't have all the answers, but guessed (and I stress, that's a guess) that it was a question of duration. I have heard that it's recommended that you go out as little as possible and when you do, you do so as quickly as possible. i.e. go to Walmart, get your thing and get out. The likelihood of contracting the virus goes up with sustained contact. In a church (or restaurant (ours are still closed)) you remain for much longer. Or at least, that's my thought on possibly the "why" of it.

I've considered the duration thing, but some churches go an hour or less and some Walmart shopping trips are as long, given that with everything closed, people are just congregating there. Then, there is the 8 hour duration while the school is closed. Then, there is the duration for the Walmart employees (all 2 cashiers the whole store) for an 8 hour shift.

It would be interesting (if nigh impossible) to see what the numbers would be on that. # of extra contacts due to restrictions vs # of reduced.

The smartphones have the data. I'm surprised that isn't be utilized.

Yes, it's quite possible that in your country it became about government control.

In a month decision, restaurants were at 50% capacity. Then, ordered closed. Then, allowed to open outdoor with tents. Then, the tent had to have 2 doors open. I haven't read one study where particulates were measured in those different environments. Thus, no science.

Congrats on starting a new job, my friend. That's awesome. :thumbsup2

Thanks.

I can't reach that conclusion because there are too many variables like overall health, duration, etc. That is my fear on promoting the cloth masks. People are convinced they work and are over relying on them.
DW had a close friend who died from COVID after a long time on the vent. She wore her mask and followed all the rules. It didn't work for her because she had pre-existing conditions and should just have quarentined. But, since the mask works and just wear a damn mask, she felt it was safe leaving the home for those limited contacts. We both know multiple other people from our Church who never left the home, but still caught COVID.

And now the new trend is the double mask. Why? If one mask has been working, then why are deaths continuing to increase? Why only wear one mask if it hasn't been working? In the end, it's a virus and we can't eradicate it. I've done my part in physical distancing and mask wearing, but I don't know if that actually helped anything or not. I just don't like the government issuing orders that limit freedom that aren't based on science.

Last edited:

This is the first that I've run across this post, and I'm sad that I haven't found it sooner! I've been lurking around the boards for some time, but finally made an account back last year. I'm petitioning here to be a new member of this great sub-community on the DIS Boards. I know the first page mentioned to introduce myself, so here goes...

My name's Nick, and I am a Disney Addict. (Hi, Nick.) Wait - wrong group for that 😂

I have been a Disney fan since birth. I was born in Orlando and grew up going to the parks. I'm 29 - turning 30 here soon! February 14th is my birthday. I have 2 little girls, ages 4 & 2. I have been married to my beautiful wife now for almost 6 years - and we have an anniversary trip planned for March! I am a nurse and work full time for the VA (Dept of Veteran's Affairs). I love what I do, and the great Vets I get to take care of. I have some side hobbies that don't get much time these days, but I enjoy woodworking, computers, going to Disney, and video games. I run a Disney social media page on Facebook (that's where my username is from) and it's not big but I have a great fan base so far.

I hope everyone local here is enjoying the cooler weather! Looks like another cold front this week is coming through. Great news for me, I'm cutting all sorts of jungle down so I can start installing our wood fence. Plenty of wood for bonfires this week.
:welcome: WELCOME TO THE DISDAD'S CLUB Nick! :welcome:

You have been added to The Official DISDad Members List on Page 1, Posts 8 & 9!:thumbsup2

Your Official Member Number is #873!

To see where else you can find the DISDads on the internet, please check out Post 3 on Page One!

If you would like anything added to Page One about yourself, please send me a PM. FYI, I do not add anything to page one about you without your permission.​

Good Morning all,

It is my travel day back to Tampa from Houston to start my work week. These days are tough, leaving the wife and kid here, but thankful for a job, and my in-laws live just around the corner if DW needs any assistance. I am happy to have light at the end of this tunnel though, I get to go to MK Friday morning for the first time in close to 11 months. Last trip was weekend of FEB 28, 2020....Thankful of a CM friend who is willing to trek MK before her shift as well.

Man at freezing level, I am just adding another jacket, and probably my 2nd pair of socks to my layers of warmth! Dang thin blood from being from the south....

Several years ago, somewhere around 17 years ago, the month of January was below 0 degrees for the majority of the month. If memory serves, I believe the temps were usually -10 degrees or more. Anyways, when it finally reached 32 degrees above zero, I remember walking around outside with no jacket because it felt so warm.

It's funny how 32 degrees in January and February can feel downright balmy but 32 degrees in November is Artic-like. ;)

I can't reach that conclusion because there are too many variables like overall health, duration, etc. That is my fear on promoting the cloth masks. People are convinced they work and are over relying on them.
DW had a close friend who died from COVID after a long time on the vent. She wore her mask and followed all the rules. It didn't work for her because she had pre-existing conditions and should just have quarentined. But, since the mask works and just wear a damn mask, she felt it was safe leaving the home for those limited contacts. We both know multiple other people from our Church who never left the home, but still caught COVID.

And now the new trend is the double mask. Why? If one mask has been working, then why are deaths continuing to increase? Why only wear one mask if it hasn't been working? In the end, it's a virus and we can't eradicate it. I've done my part in physical distancing and mask wearing, but I don't know if that actually helped anything or not. I just don't like the government issuing orders that limit freedom that aren't based on science.

Too many variables is right, but I think we can definitely say the masks don't hurt. Most of the cases I've heard of anecdotally have been transmission within a household or out somewhere with no masks. But you are right in that the masks don't work by themselves. It needs to be all parties wearing them for one, but being socially distant is also probably the most important.

Morning, folks.

That's reassuring.
Or disappointing? ;)
Enjoy the heat wave!
Yep, that's part of it. The other part is having lots of people singing in an enclosed space.
Definitely.
They've shown a few major outbreaks from churches that come from both the extended time indoors with a large group and singing.
Oh! Right. Forgot about the singing.
::yes:: Very familiar with that phenomenon.
I may get lots of shots today.
You Yanks and your guns.

:rolleyes1
I've considered the duration thing, but some churches go an hour or less and some Walmart shopping trips are as long, given that with everything closed, people are just congregating there. Then, there is the 8 hour duration while the school is closed. Then, there is the duration for the Walmart employees (all 2 cashiers the whole store) for an 8 hour shift.
Good point.
What would you see as a more reasonable method? Curbside pickup of groceries only, maybe? But then that would probably increase the amount of staff needed. I guess there probably aren't any easy answers.
The smartphones have the data. I'm surprised that isn't be utilized.
I'm not sure if the Covid app can provide that. At least I haven't looked at it closely enough to see if it provides any data other than exposure.
In a month decision, restaurants were at 50% capacity. Then, ordered closed. Then, allowed to open outdoor with tents. Then, the tent had to have 2 doors open. I haven't read one study where particulates were measured in those different environments. Thus, no science.
Not sure what you're saying here. I get that you're lamenting the lack of science behind the decisions, but where would it come from? Usually (always?) it comes from testing, but wouldn't you have to test each space? With varying numbers of positive and negative caseloads and amounts? I'm just thinking that getting the science you're asking for may not be possible?
I get to go to MK Friday morning for the first time in close to 11 months.
Nice! Have a great time!
It's funny how 32 degrees in January and February can feel downright balmy but 32 degrees in November is Artic-like. ;)
::yes::
Too many variables is right, but I think we can definitely say the masks don't hurt. Most of the cases I've heard of anecdotally have been transmission within a household or out somewhere with no masks. But you are right in that the masks don't work by themselves. It needs to be all parties wearing them for one, but being socially distant is also probably the most important.
It's been shown that masks are effective at reducing the likelihood of transmission, but not effective at eliminating it. So... I don't understand why people balk at reducing their likelihood of catching (or spreading, really) the virus.

Afternoon chaps from a soggy mother country. Back on site in Bricksburg theme parks today, so cracking on there. I think this one gon' be puuuuurrrty.
Got another 4 projects dropped in my inbox, so Danny gonna be busy. 2 of them are nice trips away though if the travel opens up again. I can't keep doing this shop fitting by iphone nonsense.

Pretty much the only downside is the high cost of living here. 😂
Kinda used to that ;)
I guess there probably aren't any easy answers.
This. No one knows. Everyone is swinging at every pitch. All we do know is that when proper lockdowns happen, and people obey them, less people get sick and die. Which sounds like a good idea.
I noticed that typo, but don't play golf enough to know that difference. :lmao:
I guess a cheeky dump would break up the boring walk.
It was then that I discovered the DisDads, and well, I've been here ever since. I enjoy it here.
I don't blame you. We are fabulous.

Afternoon chaps from a soggy mother country. Back on site in Bricksburg theme parks today, so cracking on there. I think this one gon' be puuuuurrrty.
Got another 4 projects dropped in my inbox, so Danny gonna be busy. 2 of them are nice trips away though if the travel opens up again. I can't keep doing this shop fitting by iphone nonsense.

You need this

Big Bang Theory Sheldon Robot GIFs | Tenor

Afternoon Dads! This global warming thing up north, I don't know.......

Basically just another day around here though it is apparently National Plan For Vacation Day so start thinking about those future trips to DaWorld. Be safe my brothers!

Travel to Canada as well?
Did when I was on the sales side but we distribute everything into Canada from here in Tennessee. Have a special logistics program set-up with Purolator.

Yeah, some things need to be seen/done on site. Where would you be off to?
This. No one knows. Everyone is swinging at every pitch. All we do know is that when proper lockdowns happen, and people obey them, less people get sick and die. Which sounds like a good idea.
Yes, I've seen that first hand.
You need this

Big Bang Theory Sheldon Robot GIFs | Tenor
:laughing:
But I'm missing this
Nah. You can do that at home. What you can't do is do that at home guilt-free.
This global warming thing up north, I don't know.......
Accurate. Going down to -31C/-24F by tomorrow morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter