DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Morning all. Seems like we have embarked on a good discussion about chicken places. My go to is Chick Fil A. When KFC went worldwide with Yum brands I can only imagine the quality has dropped. In my home town, KFC is the best one of them (besides chick fil a). But, even some of our gas stations have went with the pressure cooker deep fat fryers, and can do a decent job with the fried chicken. The difference will be in the side items. I'd put my own fried chicken up with any of them, as long as you are ok with the extra time and will clean up the mess afterwards. :lmao:

Morning chaps from a blustery London. Woke up at 5am, so decided to have a cheeky espresso, and mosey on over here. August trip just got a little more definite. The kids go back a week later than almost all of the other schools in the UK this year, so that shifted our flight dates out slightly, so we are out of the peak, so the fares are cheaper. And the price difference? Drum roll please.............

3 grand. :scared1::cool1:

Now that is a great way to start out a day. Good job, 007.

We're still in that window of difficult vacation planning. DW has never wanted to pull the girls out of school. Me, I didn't care. But, the schools make it a hassle and threaten to report you for child neglect if you do. It's because they get $ based on attendance. Christmas break is out because DW must visit her family who live within 5 miles but we never see all year round. Summer break has tennis tournaments for both me and my youngest dd that are scheduled late in the year.

Just moved back from a few years in London (Crouch End) and was really surprised at how intense and condensed school holidays were, half term meant ridiculous prices on anything transport related... but also very quiet days at the office.
@ManhattanMcC , although you're totally right mate, it's a bit of a double edged sword. Yes the holiday prices verge on the usurious, but if both parents are at full time work there is no way we would be able to cover 10 weeks in the summer like the US has. I don't know how you guys do it.
Nice to see another Londoner(ish). When England went out of the World Cup in France I was in a pub in Crouch End, as I was knocking about with a girl from that way. It's pretty cool, just full of Spurs and Arsenal fans. We are in the sticks now (down the end of the district line), but I'm from East Ham. You can be my translator :thumbsup2

We did NC last May! We stayed in Asheville (I'm drinking from a Luella's BBQ cup right now) and then went South through Savannah and Charleston, Jekyll Island and then Disney for a few days. Are you back in NC now?
On the buffalo wings front, I do enjoy the Cheesecake Factory ones.

Yup, that is where he posted. I thought I would pass this on to you, wasn't sure if you saw his post.
I 'messenger'ed him Chief, as I can't see the DD FB posts. I don't think he's coming until 2020, so we'll see. I said you'd mentioned it.
In my home town, KFC is the best one of them
Is there a flagship or Original one in Kentucky? Is that your one?
I'd put my own fried chicken up with any of them, as long as you are ok with the extra time and will clean up the mess afterwards. :lmao:
I'll take the extra time, pass on the clean up but bring Bourbon. Deal?
But, the schools make it a hassle and threaten to report you for child neglect if you do
We can get fined £60 per child per parent per day if they are unauthorised absence for a week. It hardly ever happens, but the provision is there. The issue over here is that all schools are rated by the government, and if their attendance is below 95% for the entire year, they cannot get the highest rating, which affects their funding. So you have to want to run the gauntlet to take them on.

Morning all. Seems like we have embarked on a good discussion about chicken places. My go to is Chick Fil A. When KFC went worldwide with Yum brands I can only imagine the quality has dropped. In my home town, KFC is the best one of them (besides chick fil a). But, even some of our gas stations have went with the pressure cooker deep fat fryers, and can do a decent job with the fried chicken. The difference will be in the side items. I'd put my own fried chicken up with any of them, as long as you are ok with the extra time and will clean up the mess afterwards. :lmao:

Now that is a great way to start out a day. Good job, 007.

We're still in that window of difficult vacation planning. DW has never wanted to pull the girls out of school. Me, I didn't care. But, the schools make it a hassle and threaten to report you for child neglect if you do. It's because they get $ based on attendance. Christmas break is out because DW must visit her family who live within 5 miles but we never see all year round. Summer break has tennis tournaments for both me and my youngest dd that are scheduled late in the year.

Chic-fil-a is tasty, and as far as filet sandwiches and nuggets reigns supreme. But… there’s no bones to suck, so I think maybe it falls away from the strictest standard of ‘Fried Chicken’

I was always been particular to a place called Grandy’s but they don’t seem to be around as much (at least on my now only occasional visits down South) You could get a gallon of sweet tea w/ your bucket of chicken. How good is that?!?

KFC in London had some real drama when they tried to change transport vendors. There was a chicken shortage and most of the shops closed for a week. National Disaster sort of thing with traumatized citizens on the evening news

Just moved back from a few years in London (Crouch End) and was really surprised at how intense and condensed school holidays were, half term meant ridiculous prices on anything transport related... but also very quiet days at the office.

Popeye's is like a crunchy, spiced version of UK KFC (which is not much like the US version IMHO...but enjoyed 'gravy' being a valid side dish). I unfortunately spent a non-trivial amount of time in North London chicken shops (Pre-Baby, Rugby, Front-Row, Married to a 2nd row...) Oh if there was a loyalty card for Dixy Chicken, I'd have been a gold star member... I still haven't forgiven Bojangles for discontinuing Boneless Buffalo Bites, a staple when I was in High School in NC.

:welcome: WELCOME TO THE DISDAD'S CLUB ManhattanMcC! :welcome:

You have been added to The Official DISDad Members List on Page 1, Posts 8 & 9!:thumbsup2

Your Official Member Number is #857!

To see where else you can find the DISDads on the internet, please check out Post 3 on Page One!

If you would like anything added to Page One about yourself, please send me a PM. FYI, I do not add anything to page one about you without your permission.​

Popeye's is like a crunchy, spiced version of UK KFC (which is not much like the US version IMHO...but enjoyed 'gravy' being a valid side dish). I unfortunately spent a non-trivial amount of time in North London chicken shops (Pre-Baby, Rugby, Front-Row, Married to a 2nd row...) Oh if there was a loyalty card for Dixy Chicken, I'd have been a gold star member... I still haven't forgiven Bojangles for discontinuing Boneless Buffalo Bites, a staple when I was in High School in NC.

Don't know where my manners are. :sad2:

:welcome: to the club!

Pull up a chair and as the new guy, you're responsible for providing everyone with Dole Whips.
Make mine a float, thanks.

Is there a flagship or Original one in Kentucky? Is that your one?

I'll take the extra time, pass on the clean up but bring Bourbon. Deal?

There is, but not in my area. As for the bourbon, if its Pappy Van Winkle 23 year, then you have a deal.

Chic-fil-a is tasty, and as far as filet sandwiches and nuggets reigns supreme. But… there’s no bones to suck, so I think maybe it falls away from the strictest standard of ‘Fried Chicken’

I was always been particular to a place called Grandy’s but they don’t seem to be around as much (at least on my now only occasional visits down South) You could get a gallon of sweet tea w/ your bucket of chicken. How good is that?!?
s

I'll go boneless so I can eat more, faster. We have a Grandy's as well. They have wonderful fried okra, when it's fresh.

Evening Guys.

Day one of the regional tournament is over and Declan's team went 1-1 on the day. First game was loser goes home and they won 67-65. That moved them into the seeding round and a game against the top seed from our conference, the cross-town rival. Lost that one 99-77 but it was a much better game than that score shows. Actually outscored them in the 2nd and 3rd quarters but a big run to start the game and another in the 4th quarter was the difference. So back down the highway we head in the morning to play in the 3/4 game. All that is at stake is where you play next weekend, although a win should give them a better match up next weekend.

It's going to be tough for me, possibly the last game I will get to see him play, definitely his last high school game.

When you ask your 17 year old daughter what she wants for her birthday, and she says a tattoo.

View attachment 381492

You get matching Captain America shield tattoos. Because you know, team Captain America was right all along.
DistantJuicyElephant-small.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter