DCL - Wonder, Question for a Noobie

NaturalNine

Aussie Adventurer
Heya

Experienced dis'er but a DCL Virgin (Never cruised with anybody before)

Booked for the April 7, 5 night Mexico sailing from San Diego. Just got a few questions:

1) I'm booked in Cabin 7026 - What is your thoughts on this location etc? Is there anywhere in the same or similar category that I should try to relocate to?

2) The system automatically applied Late Evening dining to our reservation, presumably as we are not travelling with children. What time does the late evening dining finish? I'm concerned it may be a little Late, is there a reasonable chance I'll be able to change this on the first day to early session?

3) Does Palo offer a Brunch on Wonder? Should I book for Brunch, lunch or dinner?

Have done lots of reading online of TR's, Blogs and reviews, but any other insider info would be greatly appreciated :)

Heya

Experienced dis'er but a DCL Virgin (Never cruised with anybody before)

Booked for the April 7, 5 night Mexico sailing from San Diego. Just got a few questions:

1) I'm booked in Cabin 7026 - What is your thoughts on this location etc? Is there anywhere in the same or similar category that I should try to relocate to?

2) The system automatically applied Late Evening dining to our reservation, presumably as we are not travelling with children. What time does the late evening dining finish? I'm concerned it may be a little Late, is there a reasonable chance I'll be able to change this on the first day to early session?

3) Does Palo offer a Brunch on Wonder? Should I book for Brunch, lunch or dinner?

Have done lots of reading online of TR's, Blogs and reviews, but any other insider info would be greatly appreciated :)

You may have been assigned late dining because the early/main dining had already filled up. You can ask to be waitlisted for early dining. If you booked your cruise through a travel agent, he/she will need to request the change. We tried late dining and finished around 9:30 to 10-ish and didn't enjoy going to bed on a very full stomach. It's doable, but main dining is better for us. It's also noisier because of all the kids.

Yes, Palo offers brunch on the Wonder. A lot of cruisers (including us) prefer brunch over dinner. You can book Palo online 75 days before your cruise, or on the ship as soon as you board. Everyone receives the "Navigator" -- the ship's newsletter upon embarkation, and it will list where to go for "dining changes." You can make Palo reservations there. If you aren't able to change to main dining before your cruise, you can try to switch at "dining changes."

1) You are forward on a central deck. Unless you plan on going only to the dining rooms and need to walk as little as possible, your room is pretty much in a perfect location.

2) If you were not given a choice, then all the spots in early dining were taken. If you get waitlisted now, there is a very good chance you’ll be moved to early before the cruise. Unless the ship is extremely full (meaning all beds taken, not all cabins sold), they always seem to come through on those requests. If not, you can get moved when you board by going to meet the head waiters. They are available in a lounge or a dining room for Palo bookings and table assignment changes.

3) we also prefer Palo brunch, first because of the buffet but also because we do not like to miss the dining rooms in the evening, especially on a shorter cruise. We feel the dining experience, with the shows and the relation you get to have with your waiters, is an integral part of the DCL experience. As a first-time cruiser, I would prioritize them over Palo.

I much prefer Palo dinner to Palo brunch but I’m definitely in the minority. (I don’t know why but that ok with me...it leaves more Palo dinner spots available haha!)
Yep, you can ask to change to early dinner time but make sure you do it right when you get on the ship.

I'm another one who prefers brunch over dinner. In fact last summer we did both and even my my new to Palo 18 yo preferred brunch.

As for early dining, if you are unable to get it, keep in mind on a cruise you are not on your regular schedule, so it may not be too bad. At home I usually eat dinner around 4:00 during the week and 5:00 on weekends. In 21 Disney Cruises I have never had or wanted early dining. Late works well for us on vacation time. ;)

Always book late dining....just works better for us (adults). I like seeing the show first (6:00 ish), then visiting a lounge to have a drink and listen to some music and then going to dinner at 8:15.

Palo does not have a lunch, just a brunch and dinner and brunch is only offered on sea days.

MJ

We are always assigned late dining when we book - two adults, no kids, I guess that's the default. But I have been able to log in and change it right away each time. We prefer main dining; eating late just doesn't work well for us. That said, we book about a year out from our cruise date, so there seems to be plenty of availability in main dining when we book.

As many have said, you can call in to Disney or your agent to request early dining, but I prefer late personally. Early dining starts typically as the ship is pulling out of Port or the ship pulls out in the middle of the meal. If you want these relax and get some nice views as you are leaving each port, then had to dinner after, late is better, especially with no kids. Always remember, you don't have to go to main dinning, so you can hit buffet or one of the other quick stops whenever you feel like eating as well.

Love late dining myself.

Love Palo dinner and brunch. As has been pointed out, they do not have lunch - and brunch is only on sea days (and sometime Nassau day on a 3-night).

There is no buffet at night, but there are the pool deck quick serve places. Or other than the first and last night (sometimes other nights) Cabanas is a sit-down dining room that is no set time - just within their open hours. I personally don’t like the menu (it is like my least favorite things from all the MDRs) but some do.

Thanks everybody for the advice :)

Might stay with Late Dining then, Especially if it’ll mean missing pulling away from port (having early dining) - The thought of sitting on a deck watching the world drift away sounds magical!

We’ll book Palo for Brunch on one of the three Sea Days

A little frustrated that we can’t check in at the moment, as we are “First Timers”, when others who have cruised before are already able to.... Doesn’t make sense to me, it would be like holding back First Time visitors to disneyland at Rope Drope.... The thought of people who have paid 1/2 what I did for our cabin, getting an extra hour or two on the Ship (Due to earlier PAT) just because they’ve cruised with Disney before, really irks me....

Might stay with Late Dining then, Especially if it’ll mean missing pulling away from port (having early dining) - The thought of sitting on a deck watching the world drift away sounds magical!

A little frustrated that we can’t check in at the moment, as we are “First Timers”, when others who have cruised before are already able to.... Doesn’t make sense to me, it would be like holding back First Time visitors to disneyland at Rope Drope.... The thought of people who have paid 1/2 what I did for our cabin, getting an extra hour or two on the Ship (Due to earlier PAT) just because they’ve cruised with Disney before, really irks me....
That's part of the "loyalty program". On Disney it's called the Castaway Club. All cruise lines have them. Different lines have different perks. On Disney returning cruisers get perks as a thanks.

How do you feel about Concierge getting priority in checkin (regardless of Castaway Club level)?

People who've already booked haven't paid 1/2 of what you've paid, for the most part. Yes, it's likely they may have paid less, but not always.

No issues with concierge level getting early access, it’s a privilege with the level of accomodation :)

Just irks me that I have a lower status than somebody with an entry level inside cabin on deck 2

Loyalty should be rewarded with discounts, free amenities on arrival or a free upgrade to a better cabin if available. Shouldn’t give people (in my opinion) a leg up over other people who have higher category cabins, higher category cabins have a higher $$ per day therefore they should be able to maximise those hours in front of those with a lower $$ per day

No issues with concierge level getting early access, it’s a privilege with the level of accomodation :)

Just irks me that I have a lower status than somebody with an entry level inside cabin on deck 2

Loyalty should be rewarded with discounts, free amenities on arrival or a free upgrade to a better cabin if available. Shouldn’t give people (in my opinion) a leg up over other people who have higher category cabins, higher category cabins have a higher $$ per day therefore they should be able to maximise those hours in front of those with a lower $$ per day

Sorry, but that is the way Disney operates their loyalty program. Booking on the schedule DCL has is something that has been earned through paying for it with cruises we have taken.

If you want the other things, there are lines that offer those - cruise them. Disney has chosen to do it this way, and we have ALL been the newbies once so we have all gone through it. (And FWIW, there are some things that sell out even before Silvers can book and some even before Golds can.)

The way you are proposing (you get to book in descending order of what you paid) would be utter chaos as it would pretty much require NO advanced booking but rather have people line up on board and then be put in order of what they paid since cruises can be booked up to 3 days before departure and the price continues to rise.

I'm not sure if you are thinking about it the correct way. All things being equal you pay more (or less) to get a particular cabin class, or even a particular cabin. Beyond that everyone has access to the same dining/entertainment/activities. Whatever extra you pay for a verandah room over a standard inside stateroom is rewarded with the extra square footage and the view that you wanted. Once you walk out of your room you mix with the other people regardless of how much they paid. Therefore, Castaway club perks based on returning customer loyalty are justified as they are. Concierge level is an exception, as they pay extra for not only accommodation, but access to parts of the ship that only they are allowed to AND they pay extra to get first shot check in.

It might be an interesting idea if Disney would offer early check in for a fee. Say $250 more per a passenger for Platinum check in or something.

I think you are looking at cabin category the wrong way. The inside cabin on deck 2 does not mean “entry level.” (You'll find several threads on this forum expounding the positives of a cabin on deck 2 of the Magic or Wonder.) There are many reasons repeat cruisers may prefer interior or oceanview staterooms rather than a higher deck verandah.

A person who has 20 prior DCL cruises may wish to have an inside cabin because they don’t spend time hanging out in the room so they don't spend extra money on extra space they don't need; instead they prefer to spend more money on experiences they will enjoy. That person gets first choice of excursions and onboard activities (well, second choice behind concierge).

Stateroom pricing is "tiered" -- the party in the next cabin, same category, may have paid more or less than you, regardless of how many cruises they have taken. It has nothing to do with Castaway Club status.

Enjoy your cruise!

I think you are looking at cabin category the wrong way. The inside cabin on deck 2 does not mean “entry level.” (You'll find several threads on this forum expounding the positives of a cabin on deck 2 of the Magic or Wonder.) There are many reasons repeat cruisers may prefer interior or oceanview staterooms rather than a higher deck verandah.

A person who has 20 prior DCL cruises may wish to have an inside cabin because they don’t spend time hanging out in the room so they don't spend extra money on extra space they don't need; instead they prefer to spend more money on experiences they will enjoy. That person gets first choice of excursions and onboard activities (well, second choice behind concierge).

Stateroom pricing is "tiered" -- the party in the next cabin, same category, may have paid more or less than you, regardless of how many cruises they have taken. It has nothing to do with Castaway Club status.

Enjoy your cruise!
Thank you lanejudy for the great explanation of cabin preferences!! We are platinum Castaway Club members, 12 cruises already, and we prefer Deck 2 for the convenience of getting quickly to the activities on the lower decks. Like Bingo, cooking classes and shopping!! We have a Porthole cabin that adds daylight and a glimpse of the scenery!! Different horses for different courses!!

Just remember all those second-time cruisers were first-time cruisers once too. It is very egalitarian in that way: every first-time cruiser gets the same check-in, just like every second-time cruiser. Frankly, I kind of think an early PAT is a bit overrated. We arrived after 1pm both cruises, and it didn't bother me that others had gotten on the ship before me. I was actually pretty because (1) you can walk right on without waiting around at a crowded port for your number to be called; (2) Cabanas is less crowded at later lunch times; and (2) you can go straight to your stateroom (staterooms open around 1:15/1:30pm).

I'm often bummed that Disney World/Disneyland do not offer any perks for loyal guests! From any company's perspective, it is better to have a repeat customers than a single time buyer.

Also, we had early dining and were able to watch the sail away before hand. I think it just depends on your port schedules for a given cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter