DCL with autistic DS age 5

admepo

Mouseketeer
I also posted this on the Cruise Line Forum

Hello! My husband and I have cruised before with DCL but not with our kids. We are booking a 4 day cruise in Dec 2006 for us and our children who will be 9, 5, 3, and 6mos as well as my sister. DS5 is autistic. He has been in ESE PreK for 2 years and will be starting his 3rd year there when we go on the cruise so he is very used to transitional activities and group settings and does well in school. At this time, he is partly potty trained - he wears underwear and uses the bathroom with little to no assistance but will only do bm's in a diaper only when with myself or my hubby (he will hold it until with us if he has to go). I am concerned about having him in the kids club. From what I understand from other postings I read regarding special needs kids they should allow Jake in and will page me if their is a bathroom problem or any other issues. I am considering asking to have him placed in the lower age group in the club with his little brother who will be 3 at that time and is potty trained. Disney is his favorite place in the world and he is always best bahved when we go to the parks. He does have many sensory needs like stimming and can have some meltdowns on occasion and his speech and lanuguage skills are VERY delayed - he is currently age 4 and at a 28 month old level and he makes the raspberry noises. He is forever in his own world and prefers to play as a "loner" but will do group activities.

Anyone traveled recently with an autistic/special needs child that has more up to date info from the clubs??? Any tips or advice???

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'll be looking out for responses that you get....my DS5 has PDD-NOS and we are thinking about doing a cruise in '07, but he is my main concern...

:wave:

Hi there,

We are doing a 3-day cruise (our first EVER) with our sons (ages 10, 9, and 6). The 6-year old is non-verbal with autistic tendancies...no defenative (sp?!?!) diagnosis. He also has self-stim issues and prefers to play only with his brothers or other adults. Putting him in an age-down setting would never work for him. He isn't very fond of young children...especially if there's lots of crying. I know they won't let him age-up with his brothers, so I guess we'll get a lot of quality one-on-one time with him :love:

We are going on the 15th...are you guys sailing earlier? Maybe you can give me some pointers :smooth: !!

Does your son have feeding issues? Zeke won't chew food. He eats things (not very many things) blended to an oatmeal-like consistancy. Do you think the servers would be able to get his food blended? He also eats TONS of yogurt. Since you've done this before, is yogurt readily available? Thanks so much for any advice you can send our way :flower:

I hope things go really well for you guys!

Tracy

Yes they do have yogurt available as well as ice cream and soups - cold fruit soups and hot soups as well. I don't know about blending food but it doesn't hurt to ask beforehand.
My DS10 with Aspergers had difficulty at the evening meals last year when we cruised. He seemed to just melt into his chair. We couldn't decide if it was the motion of the ocean (because the ship left port about the time we had our dinner reservations) or if it was the overwhelming combo of sounds, smells, lights, people. Next time we take DCL I think we will let him have his meals in the club even if it means not eating as a family. He missed out on the cool experiences of the dining rooms anyway.

mtnprotracy said:
Hi there,

We are doing a 3-day cruise (our first EVER) with our sons (ages 10, 9, and 6). The 6-year old is non-verbal with autistic tendancies...no defenative (sp?!?!) diagnosis. He also has self-stim issues and prefers to play only with his brothers or other adults. Putting him in an age-down setting would never work for him. He isn't very fond of young children...especially if there's lots of crying. I know they won't let him age-up with his brothers, so I guess we'll get a lot of quality one-on-one time with him :love:

We are going on the 15th...are you guys sailing earlier? Maybe you can give me some pointers :smooth: !!

Does your son have feeding issues? Zeke won't chew food. He eats things (not very many things) blended to an oatmeal-like consistancy. Do you think the servers would be able to get his food blended? He also eats TONS of yogurt. Since you've done this before, is yogurt readily available? Thanks so much for any advice you can send our way :flower:

I hope things go really well for you guys!

Tracy

Hi Tracy,
We are going to book for the Dec 3rd-7th cruise I believe it was. I am still checking into a few things before putting the deposit down regarding Jake.
Disney is always extremely accomodating especially for special needs children. I would imagine if you call guest services for the cruise line they would let you know if they will be able to blend foods for your son or at least find someone who can let you know one way or another. Yes they have yogurts, puddings, soups, oatmeal, and things of that general consistancy. Jake likes crunchy things like carrots, crackers, etc. But he eats fairly easily when he is hungry so we don't worry about feeding issues with him. Just the over stimulation of the dining rooms! :)

Lots of luck to you as well!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter