DCL vs. Royal Caribbean

The soda argument is bizarre. 3 dollars for one soda or 10 dollars a day for unlimited really is cheap. ”Free soda “is not worth paying hundreds or thousands. I can see wanting to pay more for DCL, but for soda.,..really? They always have water, ice tea and lemonade.

The soda argument is bizarre. 3 dollars for one soda or 10 dollars a day for unlimited really is cheap. ”Free soda “is not worth paying hundreds or thousands. I can see wanting to pay more for DCL, but for soda.,..really? They always have water, ice tea and lemonade.
Regardless, what I wrote wasn't wrong. Anyway, the drinks are just one part of the equation.

I was actually surprised at the price difference between an ocean-view balcony and an interior-view balcony. The verandah with a view of "Central Park" is only $998 per person, but the ocean view verandah is $2,124 per person! I went with the ocean-view verandah in my comparison because that's the most similar to Disney's verandah rooms.

I'm writing about NCL because I'm more familiar with their policies. The soda package is $9.95 per person per day, plus a 20% gratuity. In total, that's $11.40 per person per day. I would have to drink four sodas every day to break even on that package. And, I have to purchase it for everyone in my stateroom, so we would each have to drink four sodas every day to save any money vs. just paying $3.20 for a soda. So, no, it isn't very cheap.

As for the adults-only area, NCL has Spice H2O for free and Vibe for quite a lot extra. NCL says of Spice H2O:

"The idea behind Spice H20 is based on a typical adults-only beach party in Ibiza, Spain. In other words, you can party it up here until your heart's content. The outdoor Spice H20 venue on Deck 17 comes complete with tiered lounging areas, hot tubs for relaxing and unwinding, and water features for cooling off. What's the bonus here? Without any kids, Spice H20 is a calming choice over the busy pool deck. At night, this transformative space becomes one of the trendiest nightclubs on the Norwegian Bliss where you can dance underneath the stars while watching the giant video screen."

So, sure, it's quiet for part of the day. Reviews say that it's always crowded, that there's very little shade, that it's sometimes hard to get a chair, that the chairs aren't padded, and that smoking is allowed on one side of the area, which tends to drift over the rest of it. Also, it's loud at night because it turns into an outdoor nightclub. Or, you can pay extra for something more similar to Quiet Cove.

Here is Carnival's example dinner menu: https://www.carnival.com/-/media/images/explore/dining/menus/dining-room-dinner-menu.pdf

Notice that the only steak options cost $23 extra. There is no free steak on that menu. A filet costs $23. Even strip steak costs $23. So does lobster. All of those options are free on Disney cruises.

Maybe RCL is better. I never said anything otherwise. I made it very clear that I was talking about NCL (and later Carnival) when I made my initial comments about price differences.

I've mentioned before that I have an upcoming cruise on NCL in the spring. I'm trying to look forward to it. I really am. If nothing else, I'll at least enjoy the night in NYC before the cruise!

Yeah... NCL has one "Broadway-style show" and a 30-minute dance show. RCL seems to also have one "Broadway-style" show on their cruises. Nothing like Disney's 2-3 shows plus variety acts.
When we booked, again about 15 months before our cruise, Boardwalk and Central Park balconies were $778/person for the 8 day/7night Western and Ocean view balconies were $908/person. Ocean view with large balcony was $978. As you get closer to cruise dates, prices change based on demand, so demand for ocean view goes up, so do prices, hence what you saw in your comparison. This is pretty well a universal practice across the cruise industry

When we booked, again about 15 months before our cruise, Boardwalk and Central Park balconies were $778/person for the 8 day/7night Western and Ocean view balconies were $908/person. Ocean view with large balcony was $978. As you get closer to cruise dates, prices change based on demand, so demand for ocean view goes up, so do prices, hence what you saw in your comparison. This is pretty well a universal practice across the cruise industry
I saw that cruise was around 2200 for a gty balcony Not bad at all. There only a handful of ocean views left on that cruise. That explains the high price. You are right though if a cruise sells well prices go up if it doesn’t then big discounts after PIF date. That is universal among all cruise lines.

Again the ocean views are almost sold out. People need to do some research before comparing prices.

Went on the Allure of the Seas this past summer. Group ranged in age from 6 to 60s. There were 12 of us. We were in Central Park balcony rooms (6 of them because it was cheaper to put two people into a room). Ate in the MDR every night. Our servers were great, the food just ok.
My daughter bought the coffee package and the soda package. I had the soda package. The soda package was great for dinner so that two of the grandsons had their sodas every night. We didn't buy the drinks package because everyone would have to buy, that said we did spend a fair amount on drinks at dinner. My daughter used her drinks package (included mocktails) to get mocktails for everyone that wanted one (no you shouldn't but that's what we did).
Saw Mama Mia, Ice Skating and one other show. They were all fine. Pools were fuller and dirtier then any ship I have ever sailed, across the board. Went in once and never again. The kiddos enjoyed the splash pad.
Buffet was pretty decent for breakfast and dinner. There were also other venues that had decent food that my family used.
Had rock wall (which had limited hours depending on age, ability etc.) The zip line had very limited hours. Didn't try the ice skating so can't speak to its hours.
That said when all was priced out it was about the same price as if we had sailed Disney. We chose RCL specifically for the kids that were no longer interested in the Disney magic. When it was over they said they wanted to go back to Carnival for our next cruise (we have taken them on Carnival before and they have sailed on their own) and so Carnival it will be -
My biggest take away was that the ship was way to big for me. It didn't necessarily feel crowded it just seemed it took an inordinate amount of time to get around to things and I know that there were places on the ship that I never saw :)
Each cruise line has its own magic (I have sailed most) and you have to decide what works for your family. I have 5 cruises scheduled over the next next year. 3 on Disney and 2 on carnival. I have Virgin Cruise line sailor cash that I have to figure out as well. I am not married to any line as much as to where they are sailing to/from.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter