• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DCL Vacation Protection Plan Reviews

justme0729

DIS Veteran
I’m considering purchasing DCL’s vacation protection plan for about $400 because it offers the cancel for any reason and get 75% credit towards future cruise within a year. Any reviews about this? Any catches or drawbacks? I could see us using this option possibly if there ends up being a bad hurricane forecasted and we don’t want to sail on a different itinerary than we booked. Can you use the credit towards a future cruise you already have booked and deposited on?

I could get a regular policy for $180ish from Allianz but it wouldn’t have cancel for any reason- just one of their covered reasons. We’re cruising in October during hurricane season.

I am interested in this as well . . .

We purchase different versions of travel (and other kinds of) insurance regularly, and well, the real test of insurance is when one has a claim.

Can't say enough about NJ Manufacturers for home and auto insurance, but they don't sell travel.

Just had to cancel a trip to Israel, and sure 'nuff, there is/was an exclusion for "war" in there. Our fault of course, and we can get flight refund from United, but let's just say we got educated.

Good luck.

I am interested in this as well . . .

We purchase different versions of travel (and other kinds of) insurance regularly, and well, the real test of insurance is when one has a claim.

Can't say enough about NJ Manufacturers for home and auto insurance, but they don't sell travel.

Just had to cancel a trip to Israel, and sure 'nuff, there is/was an exclusion for "war" in there. Our fault of course, and we can get flight refund from United, but let's just say we got educated.

Good luck.
That’s definitely something you have to look out for in the Middle East and some of Eastern Europe. Good reminder though. Sorry you got stuck.

I wanted my policy to cover flights as well since the airlines seem so unreliable. I am not a seasoned traveler, and my husband and I are finally starting to try new experiences. It has cancel for any reason as well, and it is expensive compared to numbers people seem to throw around. Additionally, it has health insurance that pays upfront without requiring me to submit for reimbursement. I agree that the true test will be if we have a claim, but I really hope it doesn't come to that. Since I am pretty new to this kind of travel, I am admittedly pretty nervous about it, and I am willing to go a little overboard to protect a very expensive trip.

I wanted my policy to cover flights as well since the airlines seem so unreliable. I am not a seasoned traveler, and my husband and I are finally starting to try new experiences. It has cancel for any reason as well, and it is expensive compared to numbers people seem to throw around. Additionally, it has health insurance that pays upfront without requiring me to submit for reimbursement. I agree that the true test will be if we have a claim, but I really hope it doesn't come to that. Since I am pretty new to this kind of travel, I am admittedly pretty nervous about it, and I am willing to go a little overboard to protect a very expensive trip.
That may be the way to go . . . Especially if this is all new.

And ideally (as has happened to us many times), the insurance will be "a waste of money" and you will have a lovely trip.

I wanted my policy to cover flights as well since the airlines seem so unreliable.
The DCL policy won't cover flights unless you purchased your flights through DCL. Nothing pre- or post-cruise will be covered by the DCL policy unless purchased through DCL. Since most of us purchase book flights separate from DCL and may also have pre- and/or post-cruise plans, the DCL policy may not be the best option.

I’m considering purchasing DCL’s vacation protection plan for about $400 because it offers the cancel for any reason
It is possible to purchase cancel-for-any-reason coverage, but unless you just booked and are buying the insurance within a couple weeks of making the initial deposit, it can be a pricey option.

I wanted my policy to cover flights as well since the airlines seem so unreliable.
The DCL policy won't cover flights unless you purchased your flights through DCL. Nothing pre- or post-cruise will be covered by the DCL policy unless purchased through DCL. Since most of us purchase book flights separate from DCL and may also have pre- and/or post-cruise plans, the DCL policy may not be the best option.

I’m considering purchasing DCL’s vacation protection plan for about $400 because it offers the cancel for any reason
It is possible to purchase cancel-for-any-reason coverage from a 3rd party, but unless you just booked and are buying the insurance within a couple weeks of making the initial deposit, it can be a pricey option.

We've had a good experience with Allianz. It too was not an all encompassing cancellation policy but they still refunded us our $ when I submitted the claim. That may have been because it was just for a football game so small $.

When we cruise DCL we take the insurance. I will admit that I didn't read the whole policy because I figured it would be similar to Allianz and we didn't expect to cancel. Well an issue arose with our son and I called the TA saying we totally understood we'd have to pay for the cruise because it was only 15 days away but it worked out. Not sure whether having the insurance was the saving grace or because the COVID restrictions had just ended but it worked. Even the TA wasn't sure.

I have an Allianz annual travel insurance policy, so not cancel for any reason, but I just got word that my policy was paying the $6400 balance of my hospital bill (I have high health insurance deductible) when I had a kidney stone attack at WDW. It was super easy to make the claim I just sent in all the information they requested and it took about 2 weeks for them to get back to me. We travel a lot so I like knowing that all of our trips are covered of something happens.

We have purchased the DCL insurance a few times and our air from DCL. We have been covered and refunded-covid era. But do check with DCL-there is a point in time when you will incur penalties if you cancel-so not a 100% refund. We also purchase a small policy to cover hotels and excursions outside the Disney umbrella, as well as increased medical evacuation coverage etc. As another poster stated-it is an expensive trip and I may go a bit overboard in insuring I will be covered. In the end it depends on the trip, to where, what is going on in the world etc as to what type of insurance I will purchase, including Disney. It takes a bit of planning, but worth it if you don;t want to lose your money on an expensive trip that you can't take.

We bought the DCL insurance and recently added standalone emergency medical/dental and evacuation coverage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter