DCL transportation from AKL

KMarston

DIS Veteran
We are sailing on the Wish next month with grandchildren and it’s our first DCL cruise. We initially were going get a room near the port the day before our cruise but decided to book a room at AKL since it’s the only deluxe we’ve never stayed at. Thought the kids might enjoy seeing it. We don’t get into MCO until 3pm the day before our cruise. I was going to book DCL transportation to the port from AKL but I’m seeing that the busses leave fairly early. Trying to decide whether to get a car service or take DCL transportation. Anyone have any idea what time approximately the busses would pick up? Is it better to get an early start on the ship or wait until later? I also have a fear of being late! Thanks for any help!

There will not be a way to know exactly what time your bus is picking up until the day before the cruise. It all depends on how many people have booked transfers from the resorts. that being said, the buses from the resorts do tend to pick up relatively early. Most likely before 10 AM. If you take Disney transfers, you’ll probably have to wait a short time in the terminal before being able to board. If you schedule a car service, you can arrange for it to arrive after general boarding has begun so that you would be able to walk right on the ship after you check in.

Also, with a fear of being late, if you take DCL transport and something happens en-route, the ship will wait for you. DCL knows there's a bus full of people that are delayed and will wait (or arrange alternate transportation). If you book a car service then you are a bit more at their mercy. It's totally doable either way (we do one-way car rentals from Orlando to Port Canaveral all the time), just know that things can pop up and if you're on DCL transportation you're 'protected,' so to speak.

We stayed at AKL before our Fantasy cruise in October. We had to be in the lounge at 8:30 am to check in for a 9:15 load time. We went to 2 other resorts to pick up guests and then headed to the port.

The bus driver took a wrong turn so it was a longer drive than normal, but we were walking on board at 12:20.

I will do this again because they pick up your luggage at 7 am and you won’t see it again until it shows up in your room. It was just so easy to leave from WDW.

DCL transportation for sure. They do a great job of handling the luggage, communicating instructions and, as someone else said, if there is a late start or a problem, the ship will wait for DCL transportation. They won't wait for private transportation as a rule.

DCL transportation for a 3 day cruise on the Wish in December at AKL was a 9:30 check in for a 10:00 departure.

We were at AKL and used DCL in May and as other's said we left the hotel at 10:00am. They told us the day before what time we would leave. BTW go have the bread service at Sanaa if you have a chance. I had it basically as my meal. I have done private and DCL transportation and I have gone back to DCL. I feel like the bus helps set the mood that the vacation is beginning. Plus you get a great PAT. We were able to get boarding group 2.

I love the AKL and try to get as much time at the resort as possible when I have stayed there (I don’t leave the property on a one-night stay).

I also don’t like to standing in lines. As a first time cruiser, you will be in what might be the longest check-in line.

I would suggest you get private transfers (depending on need for car seats). Pick a Port Arrival Time (PAT) that is not in the first hour or two. Get up in the morning, have a leisurely breakfast, and then head to the ship. I would say have a morning swim, but that will depend on your tolerance for the heated swimming pool (and the nip in the air when you get out).

Hope you have some great firsts on this trip.

Whatever you decide, it should be Magical. Bon Voyage.

Thanks so much for all the great replies. This is exactly the information I was looking for to make a decision! I appreciate it!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter