• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DCL Onboard Restricted Items Policy Updates: Decorations, Ducks and Ashes and More

Before this specification in the rules, was there something that it was allowed to hide ducks (or other things) on the ship?
It wasn’t specified because it wasn’t a “thing” until relatively recently. It has been perpetuated by social media. I’m not too sure I get the attraction or purpose. But apparently it is causing issues on DCL — maybe people trying to get places where they don’t belong or being unsafe to place ducks is unusual spots. If people simply placed the on window sills or behind a pipe on deck, it probably would be an issue.

Before this specification in the rules, was there something that it was allowed to hide ducks (or other things) on the ship?
As noted, it wasn't specifically addressed prior to this. Now, at the theme parks, there is a policy that such things cannot be hidden on property.

It wasn’t specified because it wasn’t a “thing” until relatively recently. It has been perpetuated by social media. I’m not too sure I get the attraction or purpose. But apparently it is causing issues on DCL — maybe people trying to get places where they don’t belong or being unsafe to place ducks is unusual spots. If people simply placed the on window sills or behind a pipe on deck, it probably would be an issue.
I thought it was weird thing to hide ducks but the cruise at the beginning of the month with my family my daughter found one the. It was on to find more. She is 23…lol

She found 6 , one the last night. The last night was crazy with people looking. One lady was tearing into the flowers at the bottom of the steps then the small trees by the gingerbread house. Not just looking in the pots those plant Leaves were moving. People just figured it was the last night to find and hide them I guess.

I thought it was weird thing to hide ducks but the cruise at the beginning of the month with my family my daughter found one the. It was on to find more. She is 23…lol

She found 6 , one the last night. The last night was crazy with people looking. One lady was tearing into the flowers at the bottom of the steps then the small trees by the gingerbread house. Not just looking in the pots those plant Leaves were moving. People just figured it was the last night to find and hide them I guess.
I've been on 30 cruises and didn't even know this was a thing. If I saw one I probably just assumed a toddler dropped it. Adults come up with some pretty juvenile things to entertain themselves.

I can't imaging being in a meeting where you have to discuss adults hiding ducks and how to proceed with stopping the behavior.

The last night was crazy with people looking. One lady was tearing into the flowers at the bottom of the steps then the small trees by the gingerbread house. Not just looking in the pots those plant Leaves were moving.

Insanity like that is probably why they are being prohibited. That's creating more work for the cleaning team to deal with the aftermath of people tearing things apart to find a stupid rubber duck.

From what’s being said among the crew it was the holiday decorating team brought onboard who first complained, and then a USPH inspector, so that makes sense. The security teams were tasked with quietly removing the stuff they find but it got to be too much for them so it could be why this was a more recent policy. Seems to still be ok to gift ducks directly to other guests so they won’t confiscate them from bags or anything as you board.

It’s a newer thing, very popular on other lines - newer to Disney. My kids have hidden them and don’t care if they don’t find one in return. The smiles on toddlers faces, grandparents, and heck even the cast members makes it a fun thing. A camera cast member was so excited last year as she found her first one. We gave a Donald one to Donald, and he made over it in the photos.

I don’t think folks are intentionally putting them in places that damage the ship.

People tearing up the ship for them are likely the same ones that don’t flush the toilet, drop their hand drying towels on the ground, shove kids out of the way for a photo, smoke on their balcony, drop food on the carpet and leave it…in other words not diamonds. I’d say these are the minority of folks that hide or look for ducks.

Disney could totally monetize this (Carnival sells them in the candy store) and sell Disney themed ones. They’d make a killing. Heck they could make it a kids activity for cheap, find a certain one like a scavenger hunt and win a prize.

Carnival had a scavenger hunt where they put up duck signs throughout the ship.

Last edited:
From what’s being said among the crew it was the holiday decorating team brought onboard who first complained, and then a USPH inspector, so that makes sense. The security teams were tasked with quietly removing the stuff they find but it got to be too much for them so it could be why this was a more recent policy. Seems to still be ok to gift ducks directly to other guests so they won’t confiscate them from bags or anything as you board.
Hopefully they officially update the guidelines. It seems to add more work to instruct CM to remove them but also not tell people they can’t hide them.

That's what I was wondering too. I always bring my Dyson hair dryer on board - have used it on the Fantasy, Dream and the Wish. Don't know what the problem would be - it's just a hiar dryer. Oh well, I'll bring it anyway for our resort side stay.
I'm doing the same. I'm not too sure I believe this post. Doesn't seem like it's actually posted anywhere legit

I'm doing the same. I'm not too sure I believe this post. Doesn't seem like it's actually posted anywhere legit
I believe that these are policy changes coming that are not yet officially posted. The original poster is a CM and likely has been given a heads up that these changes are coming. That way, all the CMs can be well informed when this information officially posts, which, honestly, is fabulous. How often have you seen a policy change only to find that a person working for that company had no idea. Makes me bonkers. I'm glad they told the CMs and I'm grateful to the OP for giving us a heads up.

They don't mention it by name, but by voltage it should not be allowed.

"Hairdryers must be 230V or 450 watts or less (all ships offer a hand-held hairdryer in each stateroom)" right in the Prohibited and Restricted items.

I looked it up, and the dryer is 1600 watts. WELL above the limit.

The last night was crazy with people looking. One lady was tearing into the flowers at the bottom of the steps then the small trees by the gingerbread house. Not just looking in the pots those plant Leaves were moving. People just figured it was the last night to find and hide them I guess.
And there you have it... If people are tearing up the ship on duck hunts (or to hide the ducks), that's reason enough for Disney to shut it down.

And there you have it... If people are tearing up the ship on duck hunts (or to hide the ducks), that's reason enough for Disney to shut it down.
I would not be surprised if security has had to break up altercations between people looking for and claiming ducks.

They don't mention it by name, but by voltage it should not be allowed.

"Hairdryers must be 230V or 450 watts or less (all ships offer a hand-held hairdryer in each stateroom)" right in the Prohibited and Restricted items.

I looked it up, and the dryer is 1600 watts. WELL above the limit.

Most fullsize hair dryers for home use in Canada and the USA are 1600 Watts or more, with 1875 being a typical wattage (some are over 2000!) if you browse them somewhere like Target. Most won't be dual voltage, but most would usually be considered too bulky to travel with. None would meet the above requirement, not just the Dyson, unless it was dual voltage.

Travel-size hair dryers tend to be 1600 watts, but have a fair range (I've seen 1000-1600; e.g. Babyliss has two 1000 W foldable dual voltage travel models)) They are generally dual voltage, so they meet requirement that way. They tend to be smaller in size and a "folding" style which makes them feasible for travel.

Does a hair dryer of 450 watts or less even exist ??

I know I'm in the minority, but THANK GOODNESS!!! I've never liked the whole junk up the place by sticking things in random places aspect of them.
I saw sooooo many "hidden" ducks on my last cruise on the Dream a couple of weeks ago.... OMG I said either one person has a buttload or a lot of people are doing this now

Here is my issue with this- The information has not been shared with guests. I know plenty of people who have spent money for Pixar themed ducks to hide on our upcoming Pixar cruise... It seems unfair of Disney to throw this to the CMs to deal with while not disseminating information to guests

Also I wonder in practice how difficult this is going to be to enforce. Unless a room tag is on a duck or a CM spots them hiding a duck, how is Disney going to police this?

Similar for non Disney magnets- Is it going to be up to stateroom hosts to remove them and inform guests of the policy? Because I could unfortunately foresee angry guests lowering tips for Stateroom Hosts instead of directing their frustration directly at DCL. Also I am confused on how this works... I have some branded Dreams Unlimited white boards that have been mailed to me before sailing as a thank you for booking. I don't normally bring them but I have on occasion because we do questions for others to answer like- Favorite Villain, Favorite Sidekick etc... I'm assuming under this new policy (that again has yet to be shared with guests) that I would not be allowed to use it, right?

I just think putting this directly on CMs to have some really potential negative interactions with uninformed guests to prevent stuff that is normally harmless (most cruise lines have duck hiding and it seems to be ok) and I am not sure how magnets are really impacting anyone- In fact on our last few cruises the real issue with door magnets is people were stealing them off doors, not branding issues.

We will see what Disney posts.

I know Dyson are frequently brought on these cruises,

I wonder if the magnet thing is more so they have the ability to remove something they don’t want advertised/displayed, etc.

I think the rubber duck thing is a policy that will be very problematic to enforce, short of having security get constantly Involved

There are rules of the road everywhere you go, and Disney has the right to set them. Enforcement on a leisure cruise of 4,000 people is generally very tricky… Especially when the customer is always right….

Most fullsize hair dryers for home use in Canada and the USA are 1600 Watts or more, with 1875 being a typical wattage (some are over 2000!) if you browse them somewhere like Target. Most won't be dual voltage, but most would usually be considered too bulky to travel with. None would meet the above requirement, not just the Dyson, unless it was dual voltage.

Travel-size hair dryers tend to be 1600 watts, but have a fair range (I've seen 1000-1600; e.g. Babyliss has two 1000 W foldable dual voltage travel models)) They are generally dual voltage, so they meet requirement that way. They tend to be smaller in size and a "folding" style which makes them feasible for travel.

Does a hair dryer of 450 watts or less even exist ??
IDK. I've never looked because I don't believe in blow drying my hair. It ruins the texture and dries it out WAY too much. Natural dry is much better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter