DCL new mask policy on sailings from 3/11/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am interested to see how this works in kids club in real life. I mean it should be easier to enforce than at WDW but WDW does have the rule that unvaccinated guests are required to where masks indoor still and it seems like most the under 5 group isn’t and disney is just looking the other way on it. And I don’t mean that to start an arguement on whether under 5 should wear a mask or not (and will not be staying my position on it) but just curious what this rule will look like in real life.

also, since this could have happened already, if a child takes off their mask and refuses to put it back on currently, have CM’s been calling parents to come pick the kid up? Does the kid then get kicked out of the kids club for the rest of the cruise or are they allowed to come back and try again?

im curious on that cause I could see my stubborn little one tolerating the mask when I drop her off (if I do) but then getting annoyed with it after some time and taking it off and refusing to put it back on. So, I’m trying to be prepared for how that situation is handled cause as everyone knows, toddlers can be unpredictable.

I seem to be the only one not thrilled with this change lol. If capacity stays as is I wouldn’t mind, but removing masks plus increased capacity for spring break seems like a bad combo. Given case counts lately I’m not too worried though.

My only question is why masks are required for Walt Disney Theater but not Buena Vista. 🤔 My only guess is to protect the performers in the WDT?

IDK, feels like a really mixed bag to me! I'm on the first mask-optional cruise, and it's going to be a big adjustment for us! Masks are still required almost everywhere we go -- our city dropped the reuqirement as of two days ago, but our workplaces and my kids' school and activities still require it. We're not actively worried (and will likely keep masks with us in case we wind up in an indoor crowd), but we are still feeling a little tentative about the whole thing. It's our much rescheduled march 2020 cruise, so nothing it going to stop us from finally going, but we honestly were hoping masks would stick around one more week.

IDK, feels like a really mixed bag to me! I'm on the first mask-optional cruise, and it's going to be a big adjustment for us! Masks are still required almost everywhere we go -- our city dropped the reuqirement as of two days ago, but our workplaces and my kids' school and activities still require it. We're not actively worried (and will likely keep masks with us in case we wind up in an indoor crowd), but we are still feeling a little tentative about the whole thing. It's our much rescheduled march 2020 cruise, so nothing it going to stop us from finally going, but we honestly were hoping masks would stick around one more week.
Meanwhile, here in SC, we've had no mask mandates for months (even during Omicron, most places didn't reinstate mandates) so I'm sure some people are used to not having them while others not so much. It's going to be interesting to see how this all unfolds IRL on those first couple of cruises. I'm also curious to see if any other smaller changes are made that we're announced (increased capacity in theaters, removing plexi barriers, etc.)

I am encouraged and less worried though. Even with the lack of mask mandates here, our case numbers have PLUMMETED over the past month or so. Fingers crossed things keep going in that direction.

I am interested to see how this works in kids club in real life. I mean it should be easier to enforce than at WDW but WDW does have the rule that unvaccinated guests are required to where masks indoor still and it seems like most the under 5 group isn’t and disney is just looking the other way on it. And I don’t mean that to start an arguement on whether under 5 should wear a mask or not (and will not be staying my position on it) but just curious what this rule will look like in real life.

also, since this could have happened already, if a child takes off their mask and refuses to put it back on currently, have CM’s been calling parents to come pick the kid up? Does the kid then get kicked out of the kids club for the rest of the cruise or are they allowed to come back and try again?

im curious on that cause I could see my stubborn little one tolerating the mask when I drop her off (if I do) but then getting annoyed with it after some time and taking it off and refusing to put it back on. So, I’m trying to be prepared for how that situation is handled cause as everyone knows, toddlers can be unpredictable.
We haven't cruised since the re- opening. I would guess they don't even let the younger kids into the club unless they have on their mask. I don't think they would kick a kid out for the entire cruise, unless the kid threw an absolute hissy fit and even then they probably give them several chances. When my dd was young there would be times I'd tell her to do something and she wouldn't do it. Someone else could tell her and she'd do it. Kids can be little stinkers like that. 😆

Received it also. I expect things to start ramping up. I'm glad our cruises are a couple months
away from this change so i can see how things go.

I have a coworker who now wants to cancel because she prefers masks on board if ANYONE
is unvaccinated on the ship. She told me she will cancel. Interesting

And its her right to cancel.

We haven't cruised since the re- opening. I would guess they don't even let the younger kids into the club unless they have on their mask. I don't think they would kick a kid out for the entire cruise, unless the kid threw an absolute hissy fit and even then they probably give them several chances. When my dd was young there would be times I'd tell her to do something and she wouldn't do it. Someone else could tell her and she'd do it. Kids can be little stinkers like that. 😆

my kid has never had to mask due to age and now that she is over 2 she has only masked a few times for short periods of time at the doctor (and the last time once we got in the room she refused to keep it on). So, not sure how she will do but if she wants to go to kids club and try, I want to let her but I’m worried what will happen if she doesn’t stay masked cause even though she is stubborn, she is very sensitive and gets anxious easily. So, I don’t want her getting upset if they make a huge deal out of it. I’m honestly thinking of just keeping her out completely to avoid the issue (and secretly hoping when we sail it won’t be an issue anymore) but we are sailing in the Wish and I don’t want her to miss out on activities that she may really enjoy doing. Thankfully, I have lots of time between them and now to figure it out and who knows what rules will be then.

Purely for communication reasons. They just want to give enough time for the news to trickle down to all guests, let guests have time to prepare, etc. Even with the one week notice, there will still people that show up and get mad that "you didn't tell me about this!" but if the change was too short notice, Guest Relations would not be a fun place to be on that first cruise haha.
It was pretty immediate with Disney world when the mask mandate changed, but I realize a cruise commitment is a little different.

Interesting...still required in the Walt Disney theater, is that due to performers being unmasked or because they'll be filling up the seats again vs social distancing?

And what part of Castaway Cay requires it? Bathrooms? Trams? Just curious.
My guess is that the masks are required at the Walt Disney Theater to protect children under 5 y/o who do not yet qualify for the COVID vaccine.

My guess is that the masks are required at the Walt Disney Theater to protect children under 5 y/o who do not yet qualify for the COVID vaccine.

doubtful, the movie theater doesn’t require them and that can get packed. More than likely due to the actors (contract or union whatever they might have). Remember a family with an under 5 yo that is so concerned can also choose to not cruise or skip the show and such. People have options.

This is good news for my party... We will appreciate the option based on our comfort level. :crowded:

I also wondered about the WD theater -- I'm thinking it's because we are shoulder to shoulder, if the theater is full.... The Buena Vista theater is rarely full unless there is a new release.

BUT -- my question is why "Masks should also be worn in the cruise terminal during the boarding and disembarkation process." Just wondering the science/logic here when we will all be on the same ship...

This is good news for my party... We will appreciate the option based on our comfort level. :crowded:

I also wondered about the WD theater -- I'm thinking it's because we are shoulder to shoulder, if the theater is full.... The Buena Vista theater is rarely full unless there is a new release.

BUT -- my question is why "Masks should also be worn in the cruise terminal during the boarding and disembarkation process." Just wondering the science/logic here when we will all be on the same ship...
I believe it's because such places (like airports and train stations) are still mandated to have masks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter