DCL Has Their Protocol Out!!!

It's good to know about Walgreens. I live in South Carolina and the last time that I looked at CVS for testing, the tests were only free if you had symptoms. Getting tested for travel was pretty expensive IIRC.

Know Before You Go- updated 7/29/2021

I’m not sure if this was just added yesterday or if I overlooked it before:

Embarkation Day:
“All Guests on back-to-back, consecutive sailings will be required to undergo a rapid PCR COVID-19 test administered by Inspire Diagnostics at the terminal after debarking the ship following their first cruise, before reboarding the ship for their second cruise.”

Reading through most of this and monitoring what other lines are doing I am very surprised that DCL is not requiring 95% plus vaccinated if not 100% vaccinated cruises. Over time when we sailed and my time on the board, DCL due to their image has been very conservative in there decisions to de-risk anything bad from happening from a PR standpoint. So this surprises me that they are more relaxed than other lines as far as vaccinations go. For us that means we wouldn't sail on DCL. I understand that DCL's clientele is mostly family's with kids, but I think the prevailing thought on the boards was DCL would be the last to sail and be the most restrictive.

Just my thoughts from afar as we are trying to decide if we sail out of Florida in 2021 and early 2022 and also looking into a cruise on the Wish.

I live in Florida. I scheduled a Walgreens PCR test to fly American Airlines from Miami to Nassau for the Adventure of the Seas cruise back in June. I scheduled it online, did it in the drive through in like 5-10 minutes, I got my results in 2 days and I didn't have to pay for anything. They emailed me a report that I printed and showed to AA and they were totally fine with it. It might not be the same for other countries or airlines but I wanted to share my experience in case it helps!

That's good to hear. Will definitely look into that for our Dec trip. Our transit in Germany required a negative test taken within 48 hours of ARRIVAL, which (coupled with the very specific Egyptian requirements) became a logistical nightmare. There were so few places that could guarantee results in 24-30 hours - and they were expensive. Germany changed that requirement about a week before our trip. All of the different requirements by different countries are like a moving target - and they are even different from each other. You need to keep checking.

Last edited:
Know Before You Go- updated 7/29/2021

I’m not sure if this was just added yesterday or if I overlooked it before:

Embarkation Day:
“All Guests on back-to-back, consecutive sailings will be required to undergo a rapid PCR COVID-19 test administered by Inspire Diagnostics at the terminal after debarking the ship following their first cruise, before reboarding the ship for their second cruise.”
Definitely new. I read the entire website. Guess I’ll have to read again.

Reading through most of this and monitoring what other lines are doing I am very surprised that DCL is not requiring 95% plus vaccinated if not 100% vaccinated cruises. Over time when we sailed and my time on the board, DCL due to their image has been very conservative in there decisions to de-risk anything bad from happening from a PR standpoint.
Well, this is Disney. Disney World in Florida is currently back at full capacity, with people very much packed together at parks, on buses, etc. No testing or vaccination requirements at all. Since they allow that at the parks, their protocols onboard seem quite cautious in comparison.

Last edited:

* A little off topic but please come back and say how your visit went. We cancelled our trip in 2020 and
I want to rebook but Husband says not a good time to go there. Maybe pm me or post in another part
of forum. Thanks!

It was AWESOME! Aside from the heat (up to 111 degrees), it was one of our best trips ever. It's actually a great time to go - almost no crowds and their COVID protocols were very good. We felt very safe the whole time. I'll pm some info over the weekend.

It's good to know about Walgreens. I live in South Carolina and the last time that I looked at CVS for testing, the tests were only free if you had symptoms. Getting tested for travel was pretty expensive IIRC.

This was my experience as well. It was $150 for travel, if I recall correctly.

It was AWESOME! Aside from the heat (up to 111 degrees), it was one of our best trips ever. It's actually a great time to go - almost no crowds and their COVID protocols were very good. We felt very safe the whole time. I'll pm some info over the weekend.
Aww thank you so much! I'm so frustrated about lack of options outside of the country.

Reading through most of this and monitoring what other lines are doing I am very surprised that DCL is not requiring 95% plus vaccinated if not 100% vaccinated cruises. Over time when we sailed and my time on the board, DCL due to their image has been very conservative in there decisions to de-risk anything bad from happening from a PR standpoint. So this surprises me that they are more relaxed than other lines as far as vaccinations go. For us that means we wouldn't sail on DCL. I understand that DCL's clientele is mostly family's with kids, but I think the prevailing thought on the boards was DCL would be the last to sail and be the most restrictive.

Just my thoughts from afar as we are trying to decide if we sail out of Florida in 2021 and early 2022 and also looking into a cruise on the Wish.

DCL's decisions to be very cautious has been one of the reasons we have been comfortable cruising with them. I've said to others that I trust them over any other cruise line to do what's best for the passengers/guests.

I'm also surprised that they are not more restrictive. There is just too many issues I can imagine.

Reading through most of this and monitoring what other lines are doing I am very surprised that DCL is not requiring 95% plus vaccinated if not 100% vaccinated cruises.

I just don't think DCL will ever require vaccination unless its by requirement from a government. So that just won't be a thing in the US unless the Caribbean requires it but not sure if they will do that or not as I haven't really looked in to it.

This was my experience as well. It was $150 for travel, if I recall correctly.
I'm surprised- I wonder what the difference between locations is- The CVS around us are Minute Clinic - when I scheduled our test the first question asks if you are scheduling for travel and then after a few other questions there is a disclaimer that states all Covid testing is free of charge to the patient, if you are insured they ask for insurance info but if not you skip through

DCL's decisions to be very cautious has been one of the reasons we have been comfortable cruising with them. I've said to others that I trust them over any other cruise line to do what's best for the passengers/guests.

I'm also surprised that they are not more restrictive. There is just too many issues I can imagine.

I think they're playing middle of the road since they know they'll have passengers no matter what they do. They may even be pandering to a certain group - and then of course, there are the many under 12s. Personally, I'm a bit disappointed.

Since they allow that at the parks, their protocols onboard seem quite cautious in comparison.

Honestly there SHOULD be more restrictions at sea. On a cruise ship you are in a contained environment (and potentially far from help should things go south health-wise quickly) and things can spread QUICKLY. The same people are all together on the ship. You're not always with the same people in WDW so time of potential contact is much reduced.

FWIW, though I'm fully vaxxed and have been since the end of February, I did just go and get tested following my birthday trip last week to be a responsible human and ensure that I'm not asymptomatic and spreading. I'm not - but I feel better knowing that I'm doing the responsible thing to help keep others safe.

Honestly there SHOULD be more restrictions at sea. On a cruise ship you are in a contained environment (and potentially far from help should things go south health-wise quickly) and things can spread QUICKLY. The same people are all together on the ship. You're not always with the same people in WDW so time of potential contact is much reduced.

FWIW, though I'm fully vaxxed and have been since the end of February, I did just go and get tested following my birthday trip last week to be a responsible human and ensure that I'm not asymptomatic and spreading. I'm not - but I feel better knowing that I'm doing the responsible thing to help keep others safe.
The same 2,000 people, lol.

Glad they are not requiring the vaccine as we have young children so we are very happy the kids can enjoy a family cruise on DCL again. I foresee DCL testing 100% of passengers at embarkation and feel this will provide a lower risk of spread while sailing. Initially I was unsure about the policy of 2 covid tests prior to sailing (5 days prior and at embarkation) but now after gaming it out I do believe it is a good strategy and helps prevent possible covid positives from showing up at the port where it could be spread even if they do not get on the ship.

I think they're playing middle of the road since they know they'll have passengers no matter what they do. They may even be pandering to a certain group - and then of course, there are the many under 12s. Personally, I'm a bit disappointed.

I agree. DCL is definitely not taking a stance and, although I don't blame them, I actually expected them to veer towards safety. And with that in mind, I would think it's better to upset people as long as they are viewed as overly cautious. I was discussing with my husband about what they would do if children, unable to get vaccinated, contract covid and it ends very badly. I, honestly, believe this is not just a PR problem...I really believe it would devastate Disney.

I foresee DCL testing 100% of passengers at embarkation and feel this will provide a lower risk of spread while sailing.

I agree that DCL may adopt a policy to test everyone, especially after 4 vaccinated adults (NOT traveling together) and 2 unvaccinated minors (traveling together) were diagnosed on a RCL cruise this week. No one else in any of the parties contracted it.

It’s like walking a tightrope to make your usual customers happy while also maintaining a realistic grip on an evolving situation.

edited: added and removed content to keep this focused on cruising and not vaccines

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter