DCL ground transportation or rent a car?

what time do the buses leave the port for trips back to WDW

Debarkation typically starts around 7:30am at Port Canaveral. Buses to WDW are by groups of resorts, and will depart as soon as full. We didn't rush off the ship but did have early breakfast, we were the first resort stop and were checked-in and sitting pool-side before 9:30am. The last bus to leave the port may be delayed somewhat while they make sure all passengers are off the ship, so that could be a longer wait on the bus.

Enjoy your cruise!

I have not done private transport but I have done the rentals, disney transfers both from the hotel and just to mco and also back to the ship. One cruise on the Dream we stayed and picked up reantal at MCO and dropped off at hertz with insurance it was close to $125 this was in Jan so once on the ship we opted to do transfers back to MCO. Another time we took ME to the airport and picked up the Disney bus then. We also have done the transfers from Kidani and we got picked up at noon and were there about 130pm good things rooms were ready. To get back to the port we had late sitting and our bus left around 930amwe were at KV by 11

Ok question we will be in WDW for a few days before our cruise was planning on returning the car to the airport as early as possible then using Disney bus from MCO to port and back is this ok to do even tho we don't have a flight coming in that day? Would we just take our luggage with us over to the bus?

I have not done private transport but I have done the rentals, disney transfers both from the hotel and just to mco and also back to the ship. One cruise on the Dream we stayed and picked up reantal at MCO and dropped off at hertz with insurance it was close to $125 this was in Jan so once on the ship we opted to do transfers back to MCO. Another time we took ME to the airport and picked up the Disney bus then. We also have done the transfers from Kidani and we got picked up at noon and were there about 130pm good things rooms were ready. To get back to the port we had late sitting and our bus left around 930amwe were at KV by 11

I am interested in this option. We are staying at BCV before our cruise, but would like to get on the ship as early as possible. It would be great to take ME to the airport and then catch one of the first DCL buses over to PC. How far did you have to lug your bags from the ME to the DCL waiting area?
Or can you send your bags straight to DCL from the resort, even though you are not taking the DCL bus from the resort?

Ok question we will be in WDW for a few days before our cruise was planning on returning the car to the airport as early as possible then using Disney bus from MCO to port and back is this ok to do even tho we don't have a flight coming in that day? Would we just take our luggage with us over to the bus?

DCL transfers cost $35 pp each way pp and are not dependent on a flight. They only run on days a cruise departs. Yes, you would just bring your own luggage over to the DCL/ME desk.. Have you thought about just returning the car at one of the port area agencies?

I am interested in this option. We are staying at BCV before our cruise, but would like to get on the ship as early as possible. It would be great to take ME to the airport and then catch one of the first DCL buses over to PC. How far did you have to lug your bags from the ME to the DCL waiting area?
Or can you send your bags straight to DCL from the resort, even though you are not taking the DCL bus from the resort?

The first bus leaves MCO about 9:30 or so. That would mean that you would have to leave WDW about 3 hours before that to catch an ME bus from WDW. You would have to have a real Flight number that departed around that time to give to the ME desk at your resort (6:30 am). ME wants to take you about 3 hours before your "flight". You can't send your bags ahead if you are not taking DCL transfers from the resort. You would have to take them with you on the bus and then bring them to the DCL/ME desk for transport to the port. Not worth it IMO.

MJ

Another newbie question... We have signed up for ground transportation to & from the Swan thinking that would make things "smoother" getting on the ship & back to the Swan after the cruise. But now I'm hesitate to use DCL transportation after reading a thread that it's unpredictable & slow. We were hoping to get on early (as possible), have lunch on board & look around a bit before the safety drill.

I would love to hear experiences of using DCL buses. How does it work? Did you have a good experience? Do they tell you what time they pick you up or can you choose the time? Did you feel rushed by the time you got on board the ship?

Would you recommend first time cruisers to use DCL transportation? Or do you think a rental car would be fine?

If we rent a car - do you turn it in @ the port? Can you rent another car at port for the return trip to WDW?

Thanks so much for all your help!!! :)

We use Budget. I can always find a great rate with the codes online. There is a location in the Doubletree hotel in DTD. When we stay at WDW before the cruise I rent a minivan from Budget and pick it up at Doubletree and drop it off at the port, then take their shuttle to PC.

I do the same thing at the port to take another minivan to MCO. And with 5 people, it is much less expensive compared to using DCL transfers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter