!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DCL Fleet Expansion in 2011 & 2012 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think, as Disney discovered when they brought the Magic out west, there is huge pent up demand on the West Coast for a Disney cruise to anywhere.
Like the European cruises, they were quickly sold out.
Considering the West Coast is Disney's original market, the one that paid for Disney World to be built, it's odd that the cruise line hasn't been on the West Coast more often.

From 2011 there will be a Disney ship on the west coast USA each year, (maybe not all year, circa 30 calls) for the next five years. Contract is two years guaranteed, followed by extend-able one year options up to five years, and the reason for any get out, is only because of San Diego. -they are building a new cruise port and want DCL there. It would save fuel costs, and there is a great rail link to DL to/from there so no issue, plus next to Seaworld and reports say Disney is interested in that.

DETAILS

Port of LA agreement for two years with a three x One year extensions.

DCL is guaranteeing that the Wonder will bring the Port of LA a guaranteed level of revenue - requiring 52620 passengers through the port each year.

So reasonably full say 2400 passengers per sailing, that’s 22 sailings a year.

If the ship is low on passengers 1800 people, that would increase to 30 sailings a year.

That leaves at least 22 sailings unaccounted for, assuming a 7-night itinerary.

Alaska This is how it was reported.

Disney Cruise Line withdrew an application for a permit to sail in Alaska's Glacier Bay National Park.

The news was included in a release from the park last week announcing awards to multiple cruise lines that had been competing for the limited number sailing slots. The permits cover sailing in Glacier Bay between 2010 and 2019.

Disney Cruise Line spokeswoman Rena Langley said the company pulled its application because "for now, Glacier Bay doesn't fit in our future itinerary plans."

But Langley said that doesn't necessarily rule Alaska out as a future cruise destination for Disney. "We're continuing to explore many future itinerary options and, certainly, Alaska remains on our radar."

Hey all -- we took the Mex Riv. DCL cruise last summer, and I haven't been keeping up with the board very well since then... Quick question -- in several posts, I see you all referring to the "three ships".... I am confused... I thought DCL was building ony TWO new ships?

Hey all -- we took the Mex Riv. DCL cruise last summer, and I haven't been keeping up with the board very well since then... Quick question -- in several posts, I see you all referring to the "three ships".... I am confused... I thought DCL was building ony TWO new ships?

I think everyone is talking about when the first new ship is ready, there will then be 3 Disney Cruise Ships. Those are the three being referred to.
I can't wait to see the new ship!

San Diego. -they are building a new cruise port and want DCL there. It would save fuel costs, and there is a great rail link to DL to/from there so no issue, plus next to Seaworld and reports say Disney is interested in that.

DETAILS

Andrew
we don't have a great rail system like Europe and the train from Anaheim can take 3 to 4 hours on a bad day... and most days that end in Y are bad....
they are talking about HIGH SPEED rail around 2025.

karl

On another thread there is mention that the Captain on the Wonder gave a date of Jan 4, 2011 for the Dream. If I was in revenue managment, I would be looking at ways to get the ship a month earlier. The RCCL Oasis 2009 Christmas cruises are selling for over $2000 per person for an inside room on a 7 night cruise.:confused:

Andrew, are you hearing ANYTHING about whether the Wonder will be doing the Alaska itinerary on either side of the Mex Riviera??? I'm hoping for an Alaska Northbound or Southbound versus a roundtrip Alaska. Crossing my fingers!
I'm not Andrew, but I pay attention to what's going on with Alaska cruises. If and when DCL cruises to Alaska, I think the ship will do round-trip cruises from Seattle or Vancouver. Other cruise lines are either cutting back the total number of ships in Alaska in 2010 (Royal Caribbean and Princess) and/or moving some ships to Seattle to do roundtrips rather than one-ways. A DCL Alaska cruise will already have a premium price tag, and I don't think they will want to add to the burden by requiring open-jaw flights to Vancouver and Anchorage. On the other hand, DCL priced their 12-night Baltic cruises way out of the ballpark - so what do I know! :lmao:

Andrew
we don't have a great rail system like Europe and the train from Anaheim can take 3 to 4 hours on a bad day... and most days that end in Y are bad....

karl

Karl, ( I know you wont mind me saying this) Yes our trains are far better than yours, however I understood the link Anaheim to SD, is very good, and also DL buses could be laid on, and the journey whilst longer, might be better than LA traffic.

Karl, ( I know you wont mind me saying this) Yes our trains are far better than yours, however I understood the link Anaheim to SD, is very good, and also DL buses could be laid on, and the journey whilst longer, might be better than LA traffic.

The problem IS IT IS LA traffic...you need to understand the traffic patterns around the LA metro area IS southern CAL. it extends from santa barbara in the northwest to the inland empire to san diego. especially on the weekends. the 5 is the main artery in socal.

karl

The problem IS IT IS LA traffic...you need to understand the traffic patterns around the LA metro area IS southern CAL. it extends from santa barbara in the northwest to the inland empire to san diego. especially on the weekends. the 5 is the main artery in socal.

karl

I bow to your knowledge as I am over here, but San Diego port is courting DCL to move there in 2013, with a new cruise port, rather than a large tent.

I bow to your knowledge as I am over here, but San Diego port is courting DCL to move there in 2013, with a new cruise port, rather than a large tent.

Andrew
please don't interpret this as anything other than me being in the socal area which i love EXCEPT for the lack of GOOD mass transit, but were getting there!

karl

On another thread there is mention that the Captain on the Wonder gave a date of Jan 4, 2011 for the Dream. If I was in revenue managment, I would be looking at ways to get the ship a month earlier. The RCCL Oasis 2009 Christmas cruises are selling for over $2000 per person for an inside room on a 7 night cruise.:confused:

That would be awesome if the Dream is ready that early in 2011! :goodvibes

Andrew

karl

karl

It's great to get input from folks who live in the Southern Cal. area. It adds another perspective to the thread. That's what is so nice about the Dis Boards, the exchange of information and opinions from a diverse group of posters. :)

Andrew
please don't interpret this as anything other than me being in the socal area which i love EXCEPT for the lack of GOOD mass transit, but were getting there!

karl

We've never had an issue with getting to and from Disneyland from the airports, the Disneyland Resort Express run by Grayline has a great bus system in place. Maybe someone who took one of the West Coast Cruises on the Magic can address they system in place then.
As a Northern Californian the traffic in SoCal can be interesting. But a Highway Patrolman friend who used to patrol in Garden Grove gave the best and fastest directions to Disneyland from LAX. 405 to 22 to the Harbor Blvd exit in Garden Grove, north to Disneyland. Made it from LAX at 1 pm on a weekday in 30 minutes to the Disneyland Hotel.

We've never had an issue with getting to and from Disneyland from the airports, the Disneyland Resort Express run by Grayline has a great bus system in place. Maybe someone who took one of the West Coast Cruises on the Magic can address they system in place then.

TVGUY

ANDREW and i are talking about getting to and from disneyland and the port of san diego on a saturdat or sunday depending on which day the 7 day leaves if they moved the wonder down there after there 2 yrs. and how long it would take to get between the 2.....

karl

As a Northern Californian the traffic in SoCal can be interesting. But a Highway Patrolman friend who used to patrol in Garden Grove gave the best and fastest directions to Disneyland from LAX. 405 to 22 to the Harbor Blvd exit in Garden Grove, north to Disneyland. Made it from LAX at 1 pm on a weekday in 30 minutes to the Disneyland Hotel.

We were not really discussing that, I have done the DCL bus from the Disneyland resort, took an hour, and also done it myself, -45 mins & the local driver got lost. We were discussing San Pedro Vs San Diego

TVGUY

ANDREW and i are talking about getting to and from disneyland and the port of san diego on a saturdat or sunday depending on which day the 7 day leaves if they moved the wonder down there after there 2 yrs. and how long it would take to get between the 2.....

karl

Agree,:thumbsup2

We live about 5 miles from the port of San Diego and we are Disneyland annual passport holders and we we drive up to Disneyland on the weekends all the time and at diffrent times of the day and it has never taken us more tha 2 hours to drive up to Disneyland.

We live about 5 miles from the port of San Diego and we are Disneyland annual passport holders and we we drive up to Disneyland on the weekends all the time and at diffrent times of the day and it has never taken us more tha 2 hours to drive up to Disneyland.

Thats very helpful to this debate,

A few years back, DCL made it known it was opening up 'tenders' for its home port in Florida, and it was Port Canaveral Vs Tampa. Now of course PC won the renewal but with lots of compromise, and shared agreements and a lot what DCL wanted.

Tampa was said not to have a real chance, 1Hr to PC Vs 2hrs to Tampa from WDW for example.

But San Diego has a chance if it can get its act together, it would be nice for another Disney special port at SD, On all of the blurb on this, it covers good transport links by road and rail from Disneyland to SD, and the proximity of Seaworld there, as rumour has it Disney was interested in it.

hi goof

its not really about getting to disneyland from san diego. its about getting to san diego on the morning of the cruise. and generally the heavy traffic is trying to get south as you know people want to get to the zoo on the weekends. and anything else fun in S.D. there r few time constraints other than air travel to get back to the O.C.

karl

hi goof

its not really about getting to disneyland from san diego. its about getting to san diego on the morning of the cruise. and generally the heavy traffic is trying to get south as you know people want to get to the zoo on the weekends. and anything else fun in S.D. there r few time constraints other than air travel to get back to the O.C.

karl

We go out on the weekend all the time and we start the day in the morning the main freeway we use is the 5 and there is never heavy traffic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter