DCL Disney Magic At Sea UK Residents Only Sailing Summer 2021 General Information

These are 2-4 nights cruises, so somewhat below the incubation period for COVID, and might be the way that DCL "gets away" with a vaccination requirement. There are two versions of this news release and if you look at the one on a famous DCL blog, under health measures... it does mention rigorous testing (among other things), but no words on vaccination, which I will read right now as not required... or at the very least, not required for Children

which I will read right now as not required... or at the very least, not required for Children
I read it as not required for anyone -- namely because they don't want to hype these options and get people interested, then at booking those potential customers are frustrated and disappointed they discover more rigorous requirements. That's the kind of thing that needs to be upfront so people know what to expect.

Genuinely happy for the people of the UK! Something to look forward to after such a difficult year, loss of loved ones, and the particularly long lockdowns they have experienced. It is also a great opportunity to get sailing again and figure stuff out before longer cruises.

I'd imagine these will only require a negative test within 72 hours of traveling because essentially you leave the UK Mainland and arrive back at the mainland so your not really leaving and going to other countries

I am seeing rumours of possibly having to book a reservation for the theatre / cinema, and that there will be limited capacity, that passengers may be given times to arrive at MDR, so that everyone does not arrive together at one time, that there may be limited quick service available. Also its possible that there may be a test cruise for CM's and invited guests before the first official passenger sailing.

Its all very exciting, as this is the first bit of info about cruising Post Covid from Disney, as they have not released any info up until now.

“Our teams are bringing tremendous ingenuity and fun to these new cruises, tailoring them with care to the times we are living in, yet filling them with everything you’d expect from Disney, from great service and entertainment to immersive dining experiences and magic for the whole family,” said Thomas Mazloum, president of Disney Cruise Line.

The line is not mandating passengers be vaccinated, but stated it would be "implementing multiple layers of health and safety measures considering guidance from the U.K. government, health authorities and medical experts".

My guess is this will be the standard and given they are starting out with so many restrictions by the time they introduce US sailings, there will already be herd immunity and/or many who want to be vaccinated will have had the opportunity to do so.

Given this line caters to families with small children, I’m going with them not mandating vaccines. Just my opinion.

So excited for them to come back!! The Fantasy is in Canaveral again this morning. 🥰

Last edited:
I would not be surprised if Disney is working on doing similar things out of other ports. I would imagine all of the cruise lines are looking for a way to sail and it will be out of somewhere else if the CDC isn't allowing it here.

Four different departure ports? Are they going to re-position Magic in between the sailings? Or will they run it like some cruise lines do in the Mediterranean picking up passengers in different ports?

Going by what I'm seeing for the other cruiselines who have announced UK only sailings, the demand is huge, as there is a big push by The UK Government for staycations and they are really discouraging international / European holidays.

International travel is being made illegal from the UK from Monday 29th March. So we can only enjoy staycations this summer.

I am guessing both vaccines will be required for this

It will only be people over a certain age then - possibly 60+ - as many wouldn’t be due their second dose til after these cruises are due to sail.

Four different departure ports? Are they going to re-position Magic in between the sailings? Or will they run it like some cruise lines do in the Mediterranean picking up passengers in different ports?

Many of these ports will be near each other, so guessing it’ll be cruise from X to Y, not return trips from the same port.

Well looking at the ports, London Tilbury and Newcastle, are on the East coast of England, Liverpool is on the West coast and Southampton is on the south coast. So my guess is that some itineraries will be Southampton to and from Newcastle and London Tilbury and then Southampton to and from Liverpool.

Many of these ports will be near each other, so guessing it’ll be cruise from X to Y, not return trips from the same port.
Well looking at the ports, London Tilbury and Newcastle, are on the East coast of England, Liverpool is on the West coast and Southampton is on the south coast. So my guess is that some itineraries will be Southampton to and from Newcastle and London Tilbury and then Southampton to and from Liverpool.
While certainly possible, this will be a logistical challenge for those driving in to the cruises. What may work though is, you go from X to Y and then back to X and then back to Y and so on - but you sell B2B cruises for those who are parked at, say, Southampton.

I am guessing both vaccines will be required for this
Good question, and I think not. Other cruise lines doing UK-only cruises this summer are requiring vaccines, but mention of such a requirement was conspicuously left out of the announcement. To me that means it won't be required. Since DCL caters to so many young families and will be doing other "extensive covid testing" they may not require it. No use requiring something that isn't yet available to half your passengers, it would actually create extra work to determine who needs testing vs who is vaccinated. Just my thoughts, of course, until we hear more specifics from DCL.

International travel is being made illegal from the UK from Monday 29th March. So we can only enjoy staycations this summer.

It will only be people over a certain age then - possibly 60+ - as many wouldn’t be due their second dose til after these cruises are due to sail.

well I am 32 in Scotland with no under lying condations and I have had the first dose and have the second booked for a few weeks time

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter