DCL cruisers tried Royal...

Hi,

I'm the poster that encouraged people to try RCL too, if they haven't already, regardless of what the original poster said. I just did a Disney Dream cruise during President's week. We had a great time! But I still like RCL too, and I think they are probably a lot of people here who might like both if they tried it, but maybe not everyone. And hands down it is cheaper than Disney when you compare similar cruises. I do want to mention that I liked the pool decks on RCL much more (the big family ships) and there is much more room to spread out on their bigger ships. I definitely felt much more crowding more frequently on the Dream vs. say Symphony, but I know its a much bigger ship, but definitely a big difference. I thought entertainment value was pretty similar on both cruise lines (especially comparing the RCL family ships). Food was maybe a little better on Disney, and service in the dining room was a bit better. But we still like RCL and I would still highly recommend it to anyone with kids. I think my 10 year old liked the DCL kids club, but liked the RCL one more!

I just priced out odyssey of the seas (7 night) dec 22 to December 29 out of Bayonne Bahamas cruise for a family of 4 in a balcony room $6313 total (about $900 a night). Disney dream December 21-26 (5 night) western Caribbean cruise $8945 for balcony room for 4 (about 1788 per night). That’s twice the price almost 100 percent more per night!

We will be on Carnival Mardi Gras in a week's time and got an extended midship balcony for the both of us for about $2,200 for a 7-night cruise. Princess is a great deal as well, especially if you like drink packages. IMHO, the food is better on either than RCCL. That said, one may value all of the "bells and whistles" of RCCL. We are all different and like different things. I am really looking forward to our Carnival cruise, for instance, but the Pepsi thing does really bother me...

Yes, most cruises are going to be less than what you get on DCL, however, DCL is still a unique experience that people are willing to pay for. I mean, I don't see the DCL ships going out with them having to firesafe rooms (that said, it's getting hard to get on any ship nowadays, demand is so high).

We will be on Carnival Mardi Gras in a week's time and got an extended midship balcony for the both of us for about $2,200 for a 7-night cruise. Princess is a great deal as well, especially if you like drink packages. IMHO, the food is better on either than RCCL. That said, one may value all of the "bells and whistles" of RCCL. We are all different and like different things. I am really looking forward to our Carnival cruise, for instance, but the Pepsi thing does really bother me...

Yes, most cruises are going to be less than what you get on DCL, however, DCL is still a unique experience that people are willing to pay for. I mean, I don't see the DCL ships going out with them having to firesafe rooms (that said, it's getting hard to get on any ship nowadays, demand is so high).
I would like to try one of the big carnival ships! How is the Venezia that leaves out of NY?

I would like to try one of the big carnival ships! How is the Venezia that leaves out of NY?
Have not been on it. It is a rebranded Costa ship, so personally, I'd have to try it before I recommended it. I will say that I would have no problem recommending Mardi Gras, Celebration, or Jubilee. They are very different than the CCL ships that preceded them (in a good way, and not that the older ships are all bad, but the newer ships are a different level)...

I just priced out odyssey of the seas (7 night) dec 22 to December 29 out of Bayonne Bahamas cruise for a family of 4 in a balcony room $6313 total (about $900 a night). Disney dream December 21-26 (5 night) western Caribbean cruise $8945 for balcony room for 4 (about 1788 per night). That’s twice the price almost 100 percent more per night!
First of all, you have to compare cruises that are more similar and for a similar timeframe.
Second, the final cruise price is much more real on a Disney quote than on a Royal quote. Taxes and fees are always higher on Royal than Disney.
Third, the cruise part is only part of the equation. It depends on where you live of course, but flights and hotel for our entire family just to get on the cruise (and hotel after usually) is a major fixed expense regardless of cruise line.

After many cruises (on different lines) it turns out to be about a 30% premium for a Disney Cruise. (this can change significantly if flights change a lot).

First of all, you have to compare cruises that are more similar and for a similar timeframe.
Second, the final cruise price is much more real on a Disney quote than on a Royal quote. Taxes and fees are always higher on Royal than Disney.
Third, the cruise part is only part of the equation. It depends on where you live of course, but flights and hotel for our entire family just to get on the cruise (and hotel after usually) is a major fixed expense regardless of cruise line.

After many cruises (on different lines) it turns out to be about a 30% premium for a Disney Cruise. (this can change significantly if flights change a lot).
The price I quoted for RCL includes taxes and fees. And no I don’t think you should include hotel and airfare when you’re comparing cruise prices. And they’re both for the same timeframe, Christmas week. I totally understand people like what they like what they like, and that’s fine, but hands down DCL is way more expensive in this case, and in a lot of cases, not 30 percent more.

I found the MDR entrees and buffet food on Princess to be rather bland. Needed salt to wake things up, and lacked heat on things one might expect to be spicy. But at the buffet you could usually find something. MDR kitchen seemed to not add any seasoning once the meat came out of the sous vide bag. And not much sear on the steaks either (Guga would cry at this). Appys were consistently good though.

If people are trying to price things on Royal's website, take things all the way to the actual payment if you want to be certain of a price.
True but that isn't something you're concerned about if you're looking at different cruise lines with the same dates out of the same port. If you're looking at something like a cruise out of Miami vs a cruise out of Port Everglades vs a cruise out of Port Canaveral then it becomes part of your calculations.

The price I quoted for RCL includes taxes and fees. And no I don’t think you should include hotel and airfare when you’re comparing cruise prices. And they’re both for the same timeframe, Christmas week. I totally understand people like what they like what they like, and that’s fine, but hands down DCL is way more expensive in this case, and in a lot of cases, not 30 percent more.
Well, if the cruises are leaving from different locations, then I think adding hotel/airfare is completely fair. For example, it is a more expensive hassle to get my family from Omaha to NYC than to Orlando.

In addition to taxes/fees, I think it's fair to add the cost to make a cruise refundable. This is a given on DCL, but not most others. And as Starvenger said above, that takes a bit more work on Royal's site.

All that being said, you're right in that DCL is always significantly more expensive. During "normal" times, ~30-40% premium is about right (all-in with taxes, fees, gratuities, and refundable deposit). We could've sailed the Fantasy instead of Oasis for 35% more in early Feb (apples to apples room type).

BUT, during school breaks DCL's pricing is insane. We don't even consider those. Although to be fair, everybody else's prices are higher, too. We were kicking around trying Carnival Jubilee over NYE 2025... But that would be a $5k cruise, which we could take for $3k in mid-February. It was a relative bargain compared to other lines, but we couldn't justify spending 65% more just to travel over New Years. It seems like everybody has 50+% premiums over Christmas/New Year's.

If people are trying to price things on Royal's website, take things all the way to the actual payment if you want to be certain of a price.
You only need to go as far as the 'Whos Traveling' page and you do not have to input that information. You just need to scroll down to the bottom of the page and the final cost is right there. I saw someone post earlier that you needed to fill out that page before you could get your final cost. That's not true.

We now sail both DCL and RCCL. I will say, the first time we sailed RCCL, when we boarded, I thought 'we have made a BIG mistake'. 20 minutes later I thought, 'why didn't we do this sooner'. It's a change for sure but once you get over the initial shock, it's pretty amazing. Having said that, we have only sailed Oasis class and they are incredible. We will continue to sail both but more RCCL as we enjoy everything about those ships and they are a lot less expensive. DCL is starting to get a bit boring for us. Nothing new to explore, no new shows, no new menus. Booked for the Treasure next Feb. but not sure how we will enjoy that ship as I keep hearing about how the Wish isn't what it could be.

Everyone is going to be different. Like different things. I don't mind reading others reviews as long as others don't mind me giving my thoughts as well. I just feel that anyone who has only sailed DCL because of scary reviews should have both sides to things. We were ones who didn't leave DCL for a long time because I kept reading that it was not nice out there, we would regret it. We did not. Glad we spread our wings.

Well, if the cruises are leaving from different locations, then I think adding hotel/airfare is completely fair. For example, it is a more expensive hassle to get my family from Omaha to NYC than to Orlando.

In addition to taxes/fees, I think it's fair to add the cost to make a cruise refundable. This is a given on DCL, but not most others. And as Starvenger said above, that takes a bit more work on Royal's site.

All that being said, you're right in that DCL is always significantly more expensive. During "normal" times, ~30-40% premium is about right (all-in with taxes, fees, gratuities, and refundable deposit). We could've sailed the Fantasy instead of Oasis for 35% more in early Feb (apples to apples room type).

BUT, during school breaks DCL's pricing is insane. We don't even consider those. Although to be fair, everybody else's prices are higher, too. We were kicking around trying Carnival Jubilee over NYE 2025... But that would be a $5k cruise, which we could take for $3k in mid-February. It was a relative bargain compared to other lines, but we couldn't justify spending 65% more just to travel over New Years. It seems like everybody has 50+% premiums over Christmas/New Year's.

In addition to cost differences leaving from different ports, I think it is valid to consider the trip cost as a whole, even from the same port. Either way, if you are going to spend those set costs, you want to be happy with the result. One of the biggest hard costs is the value of vacation time too. Once I calculate all that, the DCL premium often starts to look pretty insignificant (certain itineraries and high-demand periods excluded).

If I go out to an expensive dinner, I am not going to compare the prices of two dishes in isolation and say, "I can't justify one being 30% more." I am going to say, "I am already invested in this expensive dinner, I am going to get the dish I want and be happy - that's the point of splurging"

All that said, everyone has a different budget and/or a different tolerance for getting "value" for the money, so again, these are just subjective opinions and nobody is right or wrong here. I can completely see why someone would choose other lines and not get the DCL love.

I also don't understand that claim that someone went in wanting Disney, so their opinion is less valid. Even if true, so what? Why wouldn't a person try a different product and compare it to the brand they love? We all do it in when making purchasing decisions. We don't have to wipe our memories so we have a clean slate every time we try something new.

It's also insulting to assume everyone here can't enjoy anything outside of Disney - I think the majority of us do. Many of us have pretty broad tastes and are well traveled outside of Disney. I am not even a Disney fanatic, but just like the way DCL does cruising. You could take away all the Disney theming, and I would still like it, as long as they kept the classic ship feel and avoided the Vegas, mall, or kids playground thing.

I agree that people should consider other lines too. We are. But, it is a very expensive gamble (often times from using vacation time alone), so I get why people are cautious once they find something they love.

. . .
Tipping should be at your discretion—period.

These are the 2 main things keeping me from ever trying a cruise.
Like it or hate it, it's the model for most cruise lines, and it is just a cost every passenger should factor in to decide if the cruise expense if worth it to them. It really isn't that much money on a line like DCL, when you consider how hard the tipped positions are working to improve your experience. I would also be concerned that too many passengers wouldn't tip if they made it completely optional, which would be the same as stealing labor in situations like this one, where it is just part of the social contract of sailing and using those services. There is a certain percentage of the population that would find every excuse under the sun to tip low.

I personally like the way DCL does it too, because I like that I can reward specific employee's by increasing the recommended tip - whereas on many lines, it just goes into a general pool. I think that probably contributes to better service as a whole too.

If I go out to an expensive dinner, I am not going to compare the prices of two dishes in isolation and say, "I can't justify one being 30% more." I am going to say, "I am already invested in this expensive dinner, I am going to get the dish I want and be happy - that's the point of splurging"
I laughed at being "invested" in an expensive dinner. I guess it is true though, in that you go into it knowing that the dinner is $$$$.

Like it or hate it, it's the model for most cruise lines, and it is just a cost every passenger should factor in to decide if the cruise expense if worth it to them. It really isn't that much money on a line like DCL, when you consider how hard the tipped positions are working to improve your experience. I would also be concerned that too many passengers wouldn't tip if they made it completely optional, which would be the same as stealing labor in situations like this one, where it is just part of the social contract of sailing and using those services. There is a certain percentage of the population that would find every excuse under the sun to tip low.

I personally like the way DCL does it too, because I like that I can reward specific employee's by increasing the recommended tip - whereas on many lines, it just goes into a general pool. I think that probably contributes to better service as a whole too.
My thing is I would be a solo traveler. I don’t need the bed made and turned town everyday. I don’t even like the sheets all tucked in at a hotel. I don’t need other beds pulled down. Don’t need to be brought ice for a cooler. Don’t need a dining “team”. I’m going to enjoy being left alone to eat and relax. Why should I pay for what I don’t use?

My thing is I would be a solo traveler. I don’t need the bed made and turned town everyday. I don’t even like the sheets all tucked in at a hotel. I don’t need other beds pulled down. Don’t need to be brought ice for a cooler. Don’t need a dining “team”. I’m going to enjoy being left alone to eat and relax. Why should I pay for what I don’t use?
Then don't go on a cruise because all of those thigs that you said you don't need are things that they do. In the restaurants there are two serves assigned to a set of tables no mater how may people are at the table. One is the assistant server who takes care of drinks and helps out with food, the other is the server who takes care of the food orders for multiple tables.

If you don't want things done in your cabin you would have to speak with your cabin attendant on the first day, however them not coming into your room on a daily basis makes more work for them on the last day and it could effect the next person who will be using your room.

Last edited:
I've taken ~10 solo cruises. And I tip (at a minimum) according to the guidelines of the cruise line. No, the room steward isn't not setting up a pack-n-play, but he's making the bed (sometimes changing the sheets), cleaning the bathroom, refilling the bathroom toiletries, replacing towels, vacuuming, removing room service or other food plates, and so on. Meals are the same thing: a waiter and assistant are making sure I get drinks, bread, several courses, additional items (butter, sauces).

As a solo cruiser, I have been treated quite well. I can't imagine removing tips because I'm not getting the same service as a family. I'm getting service--it's just different.

I also don't understand that claim that someone went in wanting Disney, so their opinion is less valid. Even if true, so what? Why wouldn't a person try a different product and compare it to the brand they love? We all do it in when making purchasing decisions. We don't have to wipe our memories so we have a clean slate every time we try something new.
You wouldn't go to Universal or Sea World and want or expect Disney would you? Royal is totally different than Disney. I'm not sure how you could cruise on another line and expect it to be Disney?

Last edited:
On any cruise line you can always tip extra in cash and it goes to the server or room host. Just hand them the money. Are you sure you can't add extra tip at guest services to a specific employee. I was able to on Royal. I'm not sure where your info is coming from.

You wouldn't go to Universal or Sea World and want or expect Disney would you? Royal is totally different than Disney. I'm not sure how you could cruise on another line and expect it to be Disney?

Nobody said they expected it to be Disney though. That's a strawman you have created. I think most people would accept different, if they thought it was as good or better. Many have reached that conclusion, many disagree, but not merely because it's not Disney.

But, yes, I do compare Universal to Disney when I go, even when I don't intend to, and it always comes up a bit short, despite Universal's big investments in recent years. I've actually tried to convince myself it's as good when I've been fed up with some of Disney's recent crap, but it just isn't the same quality to me. It doesn't mean I can't enjoy Universal, but it still feels like a generic lower quality version of a better product.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter