DCL Bus to/from Port Canaveral recent experiences

woody64

DIS Veteran
We are going to use DCL transportation taking us from/to Saratoga Springs to/from Port Canaveral. I'm wondering if anyone could share recent experiences, especially timing going to PC and back to SSR after the cruise. I've read most of the other threads but was looking for some recent experiences. Thanks for the help!

We took the bus from Saratoga a couple months ago. It was smooth. We met around 9-930am, don't remember exact time. Bags were picked up right at 7 from the room. We were waiting in a lounge near the counter service restaurant. We got to the port after 1 other stop. We checked in very quickly and went right on the ship. The terminal was pretty empty even though they were only boarding group 5 when we got there. It was pretty easy really.

We flew out after the cruise, so no experience going back to a resort.

We've always used the cruise transportation from WDW to PC & return. Our last experience was September '23. We find it relaxing, the ride has always been less than an hour regardless of what the driver/transportation host says. It gets you there in tons of time to stand around waiting for boarding. The return trip to WDW the bus leaves at 9a and it doesn't matter when you get to the transport, it won't leave until 9-9:15a. We like to get thru customs so we leave early but then we sit on the bus for over an hour.

We took the bus from POR and I think it left at about 10:20 and we got to the port about an hour later. We were BG 6 but by the time we got through check in I think it was up to BG 12.

The ride back we probably didn't have to leave the ship as early as we did, we were on that bus well over an hour...even though everyone was on board. The longest part about disembarkation was finding the luggage, customs was a breeze.

We just did this a few weeks ago in February.

On one hand, it was very easy going -- our bags were picked up for us and brought onto the ship, it was easy meeting the transfer, we got to port around 11:30 and were through check-in and on the ship by 12:30. Return was equally as easy, though we waited on the bus for over an hour before it departed.

On the other hand... bags had to be packed and ready for pick up at 7am on the day we were going onto the cruise. My family are not morning people, so this put a bit of a damper on the first day, because everyone was exhausted. When we do a cruise only, we always fly in the day before -- partly in case there are any issues with a flight, but also so my DH& kids don't need to get up early that day.

But the departure wasn't until 9:30am, so we had a lot of time between when we needed our bags to be ready and when we needed to meet the transfer. The bus is apparently no longer themed to Disney (yes, it's been a long time since we've done the transfer) and the time of the cartoons and such they show is shorter than the ride, so we got to know those cartoons and such really well by the time we got to the port. They were also the same shows on the return.

We had to make 2 other stops, so all told it took us about 2.5 hours once we were picked up to get to the port.

On the return, it was really seamless and easy, except they ask you to be off the ship super early and then you sit for a long time on the shuttle before it takes you back to the resorts. We were lucky enough to be the second drop-off, though we hit a lot of traffic so it was a long drive back.

All told -- it IS super convenient, but as a family that is used to doing it ourselves, I think we might do it ourselves going forward at least when it comes to going TO the port. That way we can sleep in during the morning and not worry about having to have bags ready at 7am. You CAN also carry your own bags, and maybe that's what we should have done.

Do the busses have bathrooms available?
Our bus had a bathroom in the back, basically a glorified port o potty. We had to use it for a kid potty emergency on the way from the port to a Disney resort - we went just before leaving the ship but we had early breakfast and didn’t know the bus wouldn’t leave until 9, so we had been sitting there for an hour before it even left and we ended up being the last of 3 stops so it was almost 2.5 hours after we boarded. Would recommend avoiding using it if at all possible.

We're considering adding DCL transfers for our cruise (first one from Port Canaveral!), but we like second seating dinner so will be second-seating breakfast on the last morning, which I think is 8am.

Has anyone done this recently? Will we have time for the MDR breakfast if we need to clear customs and be on the bus by 9am?

I did the DCL transfer from PC to All-Star Movies in September 2023 and had second seating dinner. The DCL transfer info I received the day before disembarkation indicated I needed to leave the ship by 8:30 AM. I did not want to rush breakfast at the scheduled sit down time so I skipped it and grabbed something quick from Cabanas.

We were disappointed that they were plain nondescript buses used now. I didn't realize DCL also ended their Mears contract. That was half the fun about taking their transportation and getting on a DCL themed bus.

I did the DCL transfer from PC to All-Star Movies in September 2023 and had second seating dinner. The DCL transfer info I received the day before disembarkation indicated I needed to leave the ship by 8:30 AM. I did not want to rush breakfast at the scheduled sit down time so I skipped it and grabbed something quick from Cabanas.

830 was more generous than the info I got which said 745. Spoiler alert, I didn't need to be off the ship that early.

We're considering adding DCL transfers for our cruise (first one from Port Canaveral!), but we like second seating dinner so will be second-seating breakfast on the last morning, which I think is 8am.

Has anyone done this recently? Will we have time for the MDR breakfast if we need to clear customs and be on the bus by 9am?

If you like the idea of the bus experience/Disney videos, you can book it one way for half the price, and use a car service for the return so you can control the time you leave the ship. Happy Limo has a pretty good reputation. It might be worth just using the car service both ways, since it sounds like many don't love the DCL transfers now that it is just a generic bus. We haven't used DCL transfers before, but have used Happy Limo.

We personally don't like the MDR breakfast on the final day - it's too rushed and there has always been a feeling that the servers are done with us and just want us gone. So we hit up Cabanas instead.

If you like the idea of the bus experience/Disney videos, you can book it one way for half the price, and use a car service for the return so you can control the time you leave the ship. Happy Limo has a pretty good reputation. It might be worth just using the car service both ways, since it sounds like many don't love the DCL transfers now that it is just a generic bus. We haven't used DCL transfers before, but have used Happy Limo.

We personally don't like the MDR breakfast on the final day - it's too rushed and there has always been a feeling that the servers are done with us and just want us gone. So we hit up Cabanas instead.

Thanks for the recommendation! That might be the way to go. We've done two cruises, first one we had the second-seating MDR breakfast and enjoyed it, second one we were on early dining so went to Cabanas for a later breakfast. A car service might be the best option in either case, so we don't need to rush for the bus.

That’s how I feel too, but still do MDR breakfast out of respect for them. Don’t know if that makes sense, but somehow I feel sorry for them when half the dining room doesn’t show up. Like they didn’t bother to say goodbye. Maybe they did the night before?

That’s how I feel too, but still do MDR breakfast out of respect for them. Don’t know if that makes sense, but somehow I feel sorry for them when half the dining room doesn’t show up. Like they didn’t bother to say goodbye. Maybe they did the night before?

That's what I do now. The night before, I let them know we have an early day ahead of us and won't make it to breakfast, give them their tip envelope, thank them for the great experience, even let them know I gave them an "excellent" on the survey (assuming I did), since I know how important that is to them. It always seems to go well and they don't seem to mind at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter