DCL Bingo Info

Shanti

Momketeer
We just disembarked from the Fantasy on Saturday, and although I don't really like writing trip reports, I like sharing useful travel info with others. We chose to splurge on regular rounds of bingo on this cruise, had fun, & thought future cruisers might appreciate some tips about playing while my memories are still fresh. Here are the basics:

Time:

Bingo always lasts for an hour, and there are four games during every session. There are typically Bingo sessions around 11am and 4pm on days that have Bingo. Before bingo there is a 15 minute "pre-sales" period to buy electronic handsets (expensive, but with by far the most chances to win) or paper cards (less expensive, with relatively few chances to win). For the final jackpot session (& on longer cruises for the mid-cruise mega session), there is a 30-minute pre-sales period before the bingo hour. If you're serious about playing with an electronic handset during the final jackpot session, be sure to line up early, as electronic handsets will sell out for the final jackpot session.

Cost:

$30 - $80 per regular session. Many people immediately buy the $80 family pack, assuming it gives a much better chance of winning, but I recommend getting the $50 handset instead. The family pack looks more impressive because you get two electronic handets and a paper pack. However, each of the 2 family pack handsets offers only 24 chances, whereas the $50 handset offers 48 chances. Same total number of electronic chances. The family pack also gives 12 paper cards, but ask yourself if 12 cards is worth $30 to you, when you already have 48 electronic cards in the handset. Saving $30 per session will end up saving you significant money if you choose to play Bingo several times over a long cruise.

Prices for everything are higher for the final Bingo session, fyi, but the same pricing principle applies. The cost is deducted from your onboard account, and winnings are placed on your onboard account, all through your key to the world card. Any excess winnings left on your account after the cruise is your money to take home.

Who Can Play:

The whole family can play, and kids are common & welcome at Bingo. It's a fun, wholesome atmosphere, just as you'd expect on DCL. Only adults can claim prizes, however.

Value:

Bingo on DCL (or anywhere imo) is more about having fun playing than expecting to win, because as with any kind of gambling, you're more likely to lose money than win it. DCL makes Bingo fun with a group of energetic hosts playing pop music & telling jokes throughout.

Are the odds of winning good? No, they never are at Bingo anywhere. We won $60 on our cruise last year and $171 on our cruise last week. The final jackpot winner on our last week's Fantasy cruise walked away with over $8,000, so there is a genuine chance of winning some serious money in that final session. Only the final session guarantees a giveaway of the snowball jackpot. You'll see other sessions labelled "$10,000 Jackpot" & such, but don't take that seriously, as they only give away that Jackpot if someone gets blackout in less than a certain number of calls, which I've never seen happen & I imagine only very rarely does (maybe once a year).

Yes, people win with both the electronic handsets & the paper cards. There is no DCL conspiracy against the paper cards- they simply offer fewer chances to win & are harder to use. I sat right behind a woman who was using paper cards a few days ago, and watched her punch & fold her way to a $700 prize.

If you're in it for fun, go to one of the earlier sessions, as those are the most relaxed and fun. The final session is quite crowded & the crowd's mood is more intense. Cash prizes at the early sessions will be relatively small, though, like what I've won. If you only want the thrill & chance to win real money, then only go to the final jackpot session. That is the only session where people win thousands of dollars.

Last edited:
Great review. We usually wait to play the final game, when the jackpot prize MUST go..... Or on a day at sea if we are not engaged in something else. Totally agree on the "shake it up Betty" it does get annoying. Definitely a fun and entertaining hour.

Good info thanks , curious, if someone wins the jackpot how do they get the money, doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have $8k on an onboard account, thanks

Good info thanks , curious, if someone wins the jackpot how do they get the money, doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have $8k on an onboard account, thanks
The money is placed on the winner's account, and any unspent money is cashed out to the winner at the end of the cruise. You get to keep your winnings- don't worry.

Many winners use the money to pay for another cruise right out of their account, fyi. Another win for DCL, who is always the ultimate bingo winner.

Last edited:
Good summary at the beginning. One note...the cost of playing Bingo games increases significantly closer to the end of the cruise. After a few cruises (and no wins), for future cruises, we'll probably just wait until the last day to play.

We just disembarked from the Fantasy on Saturday, and although I don't really like writing trip reports, I like sharing useful travel info with others. We chose to splurge on regular rounds of bingo on this cruise, had fun, & thought future cruisers might appreciate some tips about playing while my memories are still fresh. Here are the basics:

Time:

Bingo always lasts for an hour, and there are four games for every session. There are typically Bingo sessions around 11am and 4pm on days that have Bingo. There is a 15 minute "pre-sales" period before the bingo hour starts to buy electronic handsets (expensive, but with by far the most chances to win) or paper cards (less expensive, with relatively few chances to win). For the final jackpot session (& on longer cruises for the mid-cruise mega session), there is a 30-minute pre-sales period before the bingo hour. If you're serious about playing with an electronic handset during the final jackpot session, be sure to line up early, as electronic handsets will sell out for the final jackpot session. In fact, on our Fantasy cruise, they also did a pre-sale of handsets for the final jackpot at the morning session before the final jackpot session.

Cost:

$30 - $80 per regular session. Many people immediately buy the $80 family pack, assuming it gives a much better chance of winning, but I recommend getting the $50 handset instead. The family pack looks more impressive because you get two electronic handets and a paper pack. However, each of the family pack handsets offers only 24 chances, whereas the $50 handset offers 48 chances. Same total number of electronic chances. The family pack also gives 12 paper cards, but ask yourself if 12 cards is worth $30 to you, when you already have 48 electronic cards in the handset. Saving $30 per session will end up saving you significant money if you choose to do Bingo a lot, like we did. You can always tack on a $10 3-card paper pack if you want to poke & fold paper cards, too. Still $20 cheaper than buying the Family Pack. Prices for everything are higher for the final Bingo session, fyi, but the same pricing principle applies. The cost is deducted from your onboard account, and winnings are placed on your onboard account, all through your key to the world card. Any excess winnings left on your account after the cruise is your money to take home.

Who Can Play:

The whole family can play, and kids are common & welcome at Bingo. It's a fun atmosphere and every bit as kid-friendly as you'd expect on DCL. Only adults can claim prizes, however.

Value:

Bingo on DCL (or anywhere imo) is more about having fun playing than expecting to win, because as with any kind of gambling, you're more likely to lose money than win it. DCL makes Bingo fun with a group of energetic hosts playing pop music & telling jokes throughout. I did find the shouts of "Shake it up Betty" a tad annoying, but we liked the B11 dance, the music & the constant joking.

Are the odds of winning good? No, they never are at Bingo anywhere. We won $60 on our cruise last year and $171 on our cruise last week. The final jackpot winner on our last week's Fantasy cruise walked away with over $8,000, so there is a genuine chance of winning some serious money in that final session. Only the final session guarantees a giveaway of the snowball jackpot. You'll see other sessions labelled "$10,000 Jackpot" & such, but don't take that seriously, as they only give away that Jackpot if someone gets blackout in less than a certain number of calls, which I've never seen happen & I imagine only very rarely does (like maybe once a year).

Yes, people win with both the electronic handsets & the paper cards. There is no DCL conspiracy against the paper cards- they simply offer fewer chances to win & are harder to use. I sat right behind a woman who was using paper cards a few days ago, and watched her punch & fold her way to a $700 prize.

If you're in it for fun, go to one of the earlier sessions, as those are the most relaxed and fun. The final session is quite crowded & the crowd's mood is more intense. Cash prizes at the early sessions will be relatively small, though, like what I've won. If you only want the thrill & chance to win real money, then only go to the final jackpot session. That is the only session where people win thousands of dollars.

You left out the most important part, who was your bingo caller and who were the members of your bingo team?

You left out the most important part, who was your bingo caller and who were the members of your bingo team?
Caitlin was the Bingo caller on the Fantasy last week: "No, I'm not Betty. The Bingo machine is named Betty. But the sad thing is that most people call me Betty and I actually answer to Betty."

A week later I can't remember most of the other names, as the CMs besides Caitlin revolved in & out of the various Bingo sessions, but I do remember that one CM's name was Ryan, because Caitlin had a running joke about forgetting his name. Even though I'm bad with names, I do remember and enjoyed the CM's varied personalities. There was the ultra-perky one, then the proper British one who called everyone "Darling", then the one from the Phillipines who would show off his "semi-breakdancing" moves, and so forth. Nice team:thumbsup2

Last edited:
Caitlin was the Bingo caller on the Fantasy last week: "No, I'm not Betty. The Bingo machine is named Betty. But the sad thing is that most people call me Betty and I actually answer to Betty."

A week later I can't remember most of the other names, as the CMs besides Caitlin revolved in & out of the various Bingo sessions, but I do remember that one CM's name was Ryan, because Caitlin had a running joke about forgetting his name. Even though I'm bad with names, I do remember and enjoyed the CM's varied personalities. There was the ultra-perky one, then the proper British one who called everyone "Darling", then the one from the Phillipines who would show off his "semi-breakdancing" moves, and so forth. Nice team:thumbsup2

Thank you for the info. The proper name to call Caitlin is Mufasa due to her mane (a nickname she earned on other ships). The proper British one was most likely Kristina the Princess of Wales, your man from the Philippines may have been RAF (short for Rich and Famous).

Thank you for the info. The proper name to call Caitlin is Mufasa due to her mane (a nickname she earned on other ships). The proper British one was most likely Kristina the Princess of Wales, your man from the Philippines may have been RAF (short for Rich and Famous).
Yes, it was RAF from the Philippines. You jogged my memory on that one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter