DCL and R-Rated Movies

OhThePain

DIS Veteran
We will be on the Wish in early May 2024. Deadpool 3 is expected to hit theaters on May 3rd. Is there any precedence on how DCL will tackle showing first run R-rated movies, assuming DP3 isn't watered down from what the first 2 delivered? Would they show it like the show any others? Only after 10 or 11 pm? Avoid showing it at all?

I would think only late night showings, after most activities are done and most kids are passed out, would be sufficient and fair.

I don't think this has happened before. :confused3

Good question! I'm curious as to how it pans out. If we don't find out in advance please come back and update us with the answer after your cruise. :)

I know of at least one time in which an R-rated movie was shown onboard. I sailed in 2011 after Fright Night was released. (looking at my previous sailings, I'm guessing it must have been on the Dream over Halloween.) I recall it only being shown late night and listed as an Adult activity. I don't remember if there was someone from cruise staff checking KTTW cards, though.

We will be on the Wish in early May 2024. Deadpool 3 is expected to hit theaters on May 3rd. Is there any precedence on how DCL will tackle showing first run R-rated movies, assuming DP3 isn't watered down from what the first 2 delivered? Would they show it like the show any others? Only after 10 or 11 pm? Avoid showing it at all?

I would think only late night showings, after most activities are done and most kids are passed out, would be sufficient and fair.

I don't think this has happened before. :confused3
I think this is now moot for your cruise. It’s release date just got pushed to July 2024.

https://deadline.com/2023/11/deadpo...orld-to-2025-due-to-actors-strike-1235599079/

I recall an adult movie on a previous sailing (I cannot remember which movie) but I do recall they only showed it at 11:30pm, it was clearly listed and crew were at the entrance of the theatre before it started, checking room keys of anyone who didn't look old enough. But we didn't see the movie, so I can't recall what it was.

I think this is now moot for your cruise. It’s release date just got pushed to July 2024.
I just realized that it will apply to our cruise - we're sailing on the 29th - I guess we'll find out. But I certainly won't be staying up until 11:30 to watch it!

I had the same question. I think there was an R movie on the Transatlantic I took but I can't find my Navigators to confirm.

We had two movies on our last cruise at 11pm and there were two families that brought toddlers/pre-schoolers to the movie. One was the new Pirates of the Caribbean and the other was something not appropriate for that age. Both left before the end of the movie but they stayed pretty late.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter