DCL Alaska summer 2022 what are you doing?

KGmomoftwins

DIS Veteran
Since there is one for Europe I thought Alaska deserved one. What is everyone doing? Playing the wait and see game…..:confused3How long will you wait before making a decision? I originally thought we would wait till the end of May when our PIF date is so we can book things now I’m thinking end of March as I’d like to book something else for summer vacation. What’s everyone else thinking?

What is everyone doing?

My MIL/FIL had to drop our June Alaska because MIL can't fly right now. They can drive to PC, but not to Vancouver. We are going (Me, DH, DS) come heck or high water because I have $2500 in airline tickets from a cancelled trip in March 2020 that I bought in August 2019 and they are going to expire by the end of the year. AND because we never made up that trip (to South Africa). So, I'm PIF-ing at the beginning of March so I'll be ready for when bookings open and I'll be here tracking all the testing and requirements as best I can. Also, we have part of a cancelled cruise credit tied up in the cruise, so I don't want to have to unwind that too.

Also DS and I were on the Dream a few weeks ago and can't wait to get back on a ship.

We live just outside of Vancouver and switched to a July Alaskan cruise from an August Europe cruise. We are all in on this cruise, ride or die :rotfl2: But it's obviously easier for us to say that since there is no travel involved.

We are booked on an August one but I don’t see us keeping it. We are looking at another cruise line that sails out of seattle. In addition to the border issues, I am booked in connecting OV rooms on deck 2 and seems unlikely we’d be allowed to keep them.

We are booked on an August DCL Alaska cruise [which is a rebook from summer 2021], but we will be moving it to 2023. We had planned to wait to make the decision to go/no go until closer to PIF, but have already decided.

We were booked on an August sailing, but switched it to the Fantasy same time. Was worried about all the testing requirements for our family of six, logistics of being from the east coast, and questioning whether all the excursions would be operating as normal. There were too many what-ifs and too much stress. Haven’t given up on Alaska, just won’t be this year.

Booked for June, and we intend to go barring something unexpected from Canada. I’ve booked flights (fully refundable) and we’ve booked non DCL excursions as well (also refundable.)

we are not crazy about the current testing requirements but we can make it work!

We are in Calgary so drivable to Vancouver (though we plan to fly) and we are set and ready for our May 16th sailing. 3 generations are all geared up to go! We will be sticking with ship excursions as we have a currently unvaxxed 2 year old with us.

I'm looking at a Royal Caribbean cruise to Alaska this year (I know it's a DCL forum, but I'm already here so bare with me). I'm looking at booking a relatively last minute for for this May. Originally I was looking at one sailing out of Vancouver but traveling in and out of Canada at the moment (US based) seems like a headache. I'm totally vaxxed and everything, but I think you have to test negative to get back into the US after the cruise, so testing on the ship and hoping it's negative will stressful, and with the dates I'm looking at I could afford (time or money wise) to be quarantined in Vancouver. But I found one sailing I'm interested in out of Seattle that seems a lot easier to deal with. I'm still hesitant to book for a variety of reasons so we'll see what ends up happening. Looks like Royal is flexible with cancellations, but I wouldn't want a future cruise credit, just my money back. And cancelling flights will be a headache as well.

We're booked on a September sailing and cannot wait. This has been on the bucket list for years. I keep hearing about the port possibly changing from Vancouver to Seattle, something about the law saying you need to sail from a Canadian port to do these cruises.

I really hope they don't change it because that will be an almighty headache to change our international flights from the UK

We're booked on a September sailing and cannot wait. This has been on the bucket list for years. I keep hearing about the port possibly changing from Vancouver to Seattle, something about the law saying you need to sail from a Canadian port to do these cruises.

I really hope they don't change it because that will be an almighty headache to change our international flights from the UK
There is no talk of Disney moving from Vancouver to Seattle. The waiver for the PVSA was temporary (this allowed ships to sail from Seattle last summer and avoid stops in Canada) and has since expired and there is not a new one.

We rebooked to an Alaskan trip in July from the repo of the Wonder from San Diego to Vancouver. We are Ontarions and felt more comfortable staying in Canada before the cruise and returning home afterwards. We have already booked our White Pass and Yukon Rail trip in Skagway. We figured as first time cruisers we might not get a ressie so we booked it ourselves. Not planning to get off in Ketchikan, shopping in Juneau. The wildlife excursions are too expensive for us after paying a premium to cruise with Disney. We are not interested in lumberjacks, dog sledding or panning for gold. The ship is the big attraction for us. My cousin lived in Yellowknife most of his life and I had a friend in Chesterfield Inlet. I hope I may see puffins from the ship! Whatever we see will be great.

Our PIF for our June Alaska cruise is the end of February. The money is waiting in our Disney account. This cruise was planned for June 2020, changed to July 2021, and now we will be going in June 2022 if the ship is sailing. We are driving from Colorado to Vancouver because we have a lot of friends and family to see on the way. My only issue with this is worrying about being exposed to Covid somehow. We will only visit vaccinated people. We have had private excursions booked for 3 years and I really hope we get to do them for 2 reasons. 1: I'm really looking forward to them and 2: I feel bad for the tour companies that haven't been making any money. This is actually our 4th year trying for this trip. We had it booked in 2019, but had to cancel because our furnace went out and we had to replace it. Oh how I wish we had just gone in 2019!

There is no talk of Disney moving from Vancouver to Seattle. The waiver for the PVSA was temporary (this allowed ships to sail from Seattle last summer and avoid stops in Canada) and has since expired and there is not a new one.
Oh good as I'm excited to sail from Vancouver, will be our first time in Canada :-)

I just can’t see Canada specifically changing testing requirements based on nationality. That will really be another frustrating shock to the system. I’m trying to rack my brain what country has done that yet. What has happened in the past is that entry to a country have been limited to citizens or residents. If you recall back to various bans on international travel.
But no country has yet to differentiate on testing based on nationality or residency. What has been used to differentiate is where a person has been the past 14 days regardless of passport, but on location and vaccination status.

It makes no epidemic sense to require a British person in a flight from London to Toronto to have a PCR test but the Canadian passport holder next to them on the same flight does not. If both are fully Vaxxed and were in the UK the past 14 days.

In case I’m confusing you guys with the 14 day rule - that’s been globally the general rule during Covid on restrictions. Example there never was a “South African” citizen ban. You just couldn’t enter the US if you had been in South Africa, regardless of nationality, the past 14 days.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter