• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DCL 2 week vax ultimatum during a major holiday Thanksgiving week

KevinFL

DCL Pearl
DCL dropped this in family’s laps and is only giving them 2 weeks to decide on this and to spend HOURS stuck on the phone to cancel over the course of a Thanksgiving Holiday week with kids out of school all next week. They should have allowed more adequate time especially when putting their 2 week ultimatum over a major holiday week.

To be fair it does suck. But to also be fair. Didn’t we all see the writing on the wall?

People on disboards may have but majority of families are not monitoring this stuff like folks on here. Busy lives with families and jobs and not daily/weekly reading up on a vacation. Regardless of what the policy is (like or dislike) DCL really did not do families a favor by giving such a short window to cancel during a full holiday week.

DCL dropped this in family’s laps and is only giving them 2 weeks to decide on this and to spend HOURS stuck on the phone to cancel over the course of a Thanksgiving Holiday week with kids out of school all next week. They should have allowed more adequate time especially when putting their 2 week ultimatum over a major holiday week.
I used a TA so I really don't know but can't you just cancel online? Maybe their system doesn't allow for this but that would seem odd.

I also agree with mousefan73. Anyone who pays attention to the news knew that vaccines were being approved for children ages 5 and up. It's not a stretch to understand that since DCL, all cruise lines in fact, want everyone who is eligible for the vaccine to have it to sail now, that they would also expect the same when it is out for 5 years and up. If they couldn't see that coming then they aren't paying attention to anything. It's hard to miss.

We sail in January on the dream. People were reporting 2.5 hours wait on the phone yesterday to cancel the cruise. We booked thru Costco. They sent us an email with a form we can fill out and they will cancel for us without the long waits on the phone.

The one thing I will agree on is that it sucks you cannot cancel a cruise online.
This actually surprises me. That would be so easy to do and save the agents so much time as well. You would think that with todays IT they would be able to set that up.

This actually surprises me. That would be so easy to do and save the agents so much time as well. You would think that with todays IT they would be able to set that up.

Agreed. The other huge time suck for agents is not being able to convert a placeholder reservation to a new cruise whenever new itineraries are released. They let you book early now online based on your Castaway Club status, so I hope they figure out to convert the placeholders soon.

I have not had to cancel a cruise so I don't if they do this or not but many places require you to cancel via phone so they can beg you not to. Ever try to cancel a cable/internet service or DirecTV?

I’ve never called and canceled but I wonder if one of the processes they do over the phone is go over where and how to credit the money back. Seeing how so many people book cruises is so far out and credit card numbers cana then change. At least you can modify online that’s at least something but I can’t see it being frustrating having to cancel and having to wait hours

To bad DCL didn’t see the writing on the wall. You think they would have been prepared for mass cancelations.

Prepared in what way? Did you expect them to hire a few new call center staffers just to handle the cancellations for the next week? Who gets a one week job?

Prepared in what way? Did you expect them to hire a few new call center staffers just to handle the cancellations for the next week? Who gets a one week job?
Given that they are using an outsource call center service, they might have beeen able to add on-demand shifts. Hard to say.

A Monday announcement would have been better, but maybe they weren’t expecting the back lash.

Again to me this is Disney period. I called 4 or 5 times in October regarding our cruise and hold
times lonnnnng each time. Over hour and a half each time. When I called WDW recently to cancel
our Dec hotel reservations I was on hold 2 hours 27 minutes....I timed it. I put phone on speaker..made
dinner did some laundry, washed dishes, payed bills online and they still had not come on the phone.
I was IRRITATED!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter