DCA short connection time

Jaylie

DIS Veteran
We only have 30 minutes from the time we land til the next flight departs. Does anyone know how close the terminals are at DCA (DC airport).

We only have 30 minutes from the time we land til the next flight departs. Does anyone know how close the terminals are at DCA (DC airport).
If you're actually changing terminals, it's probably a 15-20 minute walk between the two furthest. The question is whether you actually change terminals.

Questions to ask:
1) Did you willingly book a 30 minute connection or did a schedule change make it 30 minutes (if the latter, contact the airline and let them know the 30 minutes won't work for you if that's what you believe and ask them to change one flight or the other)
2) Do you have assigned seats on the first plane? Are they toward the front or back of the aircraft?
3) Any mobility issues in your travelling party? Young kids?
4) Are there other flights to your destination if you miss your connection?

You can go to flightaware.com and search for your airline and each of the flights. That should give you a two week history showing the on time record as well as the gates they've used. While not a definitive account of what will happen, it will give you a general idea.

I had a short layover (45 min) in Charlotte recently. Everything had to align perfectly for me to make the connection.. it didn't. My plane didn't leave on time, was delayed due to some weight issue. We were in line for take off then removed. Then we had to get back in line. All this took 45 min, which ate up my connection time. The plane actually made up time in the air and we got in 15 min late. The plane still had to taxi to the gate which took another 10 min. My connection gate was only 2 gates away, but still had to deplane, which took 20 min. Thankfully, the connecting flight ended up being delayed an hour.

In short, you never know if you're going to have the "perfect flight" to get you to your destination on time. Too many variables not within your control at play. I would say 30 min is too close to try and make a connection.

DCA is a lot better for connections now that they’ve made the entire grand hall a secure area. Before, each terminal had its own security line and going between them meant having to re-clear security.

But 30 minutes leaves virtually no room for error. I’d shoot for something closer to 60.

Is one of your flights an RJ? Last time I connected there, I had to take a bus in and out.

At most of the larger airports, if you arrive on one of those smaller commuter airplanes, you generally are at a different terminal which will take longer to reach your next connection. Check the airline website for similar flights to see what type of aircraft they are using. If you stay within the same terminal, then 30 minutes shouldn't be an issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter