DCA/RSR Strategy

tanyaandallie

DIS Veteran
We are a family of 4, WDW vets, kids and I love and adore all things Disney. First trip for DL since kids were 2.5 and 7 mos. :) We are heading to DL soon and I am trying to determine our DCA strategy. I have read a few different strategies and wanted some input from those who have been there, done that.

Strategy 1 - Arrive at DCA super early, head straight to RSR. Ride RSR. Get FP to ride later. Then resume touring other parts of DCA.

Strategy 2 - Arrive at DCA early. Take advantage of everyone else going to RSR and head to TSMM then CS, etc. and then head back to RSR for a fast pass after the first hour or so has passed.

My fear with option 1 is that I'm hearing that even if you dash to RSR first thing you may still wait in line for a really long time. I do not want to wait in line for 30 minutes and waste precious early morning touring time if we can fp and ride later. However, I am a bit worried that my kids (10 and 12) will love it and want to ride twice which likely won't be possible if we go with option 2.

I would love any expert advise you all have to give!!

We go during off-peak times but I have always found that if I hit RSR around 2~3:30 PM the line is only about 45 minutes. The funny thing is the queue will show a longer wait time but you can see that the first holding area's are empty. When I see that I go for it and so far I have never waited more than the 45 mins.
Have a great trip!

Scott

I usually grab the RSR FP first thing and then head to paradise pier for CS and TSMM. If the FP line looks long, it goes fast. If there is another RSR FP available when my time comes up, I grab another. Since you haven't been since Cars Land was built, the FP pick up for RSR is no where near the line but behind the Carthay Circle restaurant and before the path to A bug's land/ Mater's Junkyard Jamboree so it is on the way in.

I usually grab the RSR FP first thing and then head to paradise pier for CS and TSMM. If the FP line looks long, it goes fast. If there is another RSR FP available when my time comes up, I grab another. Since you haven't been since Cars Land was built, the FP pick up for RSR is no where near the line but behind the Carthay Circle restaurant and before the path to A bug's land/ Mater's Junkyard Jamboree so it is on the way in.

Thanks! I think this might be a good strategy for us. I could even send my family on to ride TSMM without me and then we could ride again when I get there if they want, depending on how long it takes to get the FP. So, I want to stay on the left side if I want to get the FP, right? I looked at the map and that is what it looks like.

OY, after so many years going to WDW, I know where everything is and generally how to park and crowds work. DL/DCA is a whole new world for us!!

Yes, a little wooded area on left side as you continue straight after the fountain. I think the right side is just that little sometimes dried up waterfall on the back of the rapids mountain.

Single Rider Line.

We have never even been in the normal line for this ride. I think maybe we used FP for it once, but I can't swear to it. I only *remember* using SR line. It was the first ride DS used SR for at a Disney park (he started going alone on rides at Universal). We sometimes end up in the same car, but that's by chance of course. It's FUN riding separate, because you're always in a vehicle with interesting people, and when everyone's experience is different, you have more to talk about later!

Just know that you are to expect to be split up. Arrange a meeting spot; if the kids are good at not being in the way, the photopass picture-viewing spot is good. If they are braver (and you), along the bridge is nice. Or even near Stanley once you're outside of the ride exit.

By pure luck we were at the front of the pack for RSR at open, we arrived at the gate at 7:30 and planned to hit a few rides and grab our FP for RSR but I ended up two rows behind the rope and we decided to go for it, it was a walk-on. We rode it 3 times that day - it was great getting the different perspectives, night time was my favorite for sure, it was amazing.

After seeing what that rope RD was like I would definitely recommend getting a FP, but keep your plan flexible in case you feel like you can make it over there. I was at WDW last June right after A&E moved to MK and 7DMT opened and the RSR dash was way more intimating to me LOL!

Are you staying onsite? If so, You can do the early entry which is only for resort guests, go straight to RSR and then to the other rides. I did this the week of the 60th anniversary without any trouble and got a FP for later after I had ridden other rides. They do not start giving out FP's until regular park opening.

We did both of your strategies in mid May of this year. For strategy 1, we used EMH and were in the second car of the day at RSR. We then immediately got back in line and waited less than 15 minutes to ride again.

The next time EMH was at DCA we did strategy 2. EVERYBODY else went to Carsland. Paradise Pier was nearly EMPTY. No exaggeration. We did CS 3 times and TSMM twice in like the first 35 minutes. It was awesome walking around and being almost totally alone in that area.

I like both strategies. Sorry I can't give a more definitive answer, but just thought I'd share my experiences.

Single Rider Line.
Depends on the age and personality of the kids, though. Kids under 7 are not allowed to ride by themselves, and some kids might simply not want to ride without their parents.

RSR tends to break down at times and may also open late on the occasional day, which can throw a wrench into the best planned strategy. That's where FPs come in handy! I'm tending more to strategy 2, since we had great experience with that one. Walk ons onto Soaring, Screaming, and TSMM, yeah! However, that was last year, so I'm not sure if it'll be different this year. Who knows, word might have gotten around...

We are staying off-site so no EMH at DCA. We are not opposed to single rider but would like to ride the first time together for sure. I have heard it is similar to test track but maybe it's not. Is there stuff that you do before you ride the ride or is it just the ride?

Thanks so much for all the advice. I think we will go with the flexible route. If we are actually at the front of the pack we will ride. Otherwise fp and head to TSMM, etc.

We are staying off-site so no EMH at DCA. We are not opposed to single rider but would like to ride the first time together for sure. I have heard it is similar to test track but maybe it's not. Is there stuff that you do before you ride the ride or is it just the ride?

Thanks so much for all the advice. I think we will go with the flexible route. If we are actually at the front of the pack we will ride. Otherwise fp and head to TSMM, etc.

It's similar to Test Track in that the cars are a similar design - three seats across in the front and three across in the back. The first part of the ride is slow and rather scenic, as you take a drive around Radiator Springs. There's also an indoor dark ride section where you see many of the characters from Cars. Like Test Track, the last section is where you enter a race and go really fast! There is nothing to do in the queue before the ride as there is with Test Track. The entire queue is outdoors with no interactive elements.

In terms of strategy, I think it's best to go directly to the Fast Pass line when you enter the park. The line might look long, but there are CMs helping people get their FPs quickly and the line moves fast. I usually wait in line with one boy while DH and the other boy walk ahead and try to estimate what our return time will be. Once we know about when our FP window is, we start talking about what we want to do next - usually either going over to Toy Story or stopping to check the wait time at Soarin. After using our FP for Radiator Springs, we usually hit the single rider line later in the day. We've had good luck with single rider, sometimes having at least two of us in the same car, and usually being in consecutive cars so we all get done about the same time.

Along with her questions, if we go the route of heading to paradise pier and then getting Fps...is it a) likely that all the fast passes would be given out before we could get a second one? I would love to ride it at night with the use of a fastpass. and b) how early would we need to get in line for an 8am opening if we want the chance to be there for near front of the line?

Along with her questions, if we go the route of heading to paradise pier and then getting Fps...is it a) likely that all the fast passes would be given out before we could get a second one? I would love to ride it at night with the use of a fastpass. and b) how early would we need to get in line for an 8am opening if we want the chance to be there for near front of the line?
I have the same question. We'd like to ride twice, once at night. We can do SR but would prefer to get FP and go as a family. Thoughts on the best way to get a nighttime FP? Not sure how early they are out of FP's for RSR in the day.

I have the same question. We'd like to ride twice, once at night. We can do SR but would prefer to get FP and go as a family. Thoughts on the best way to get a nighttime FP? Not sure how early they are out of FP's for RSR in the day.
I've been watching FPs over the last few weeks through the Lines app, and it looks like the FPs for RSRs are gone every day by 11:00 am at the latest, and often earlier (sometimes much earlier) than that. 10:00 would probably be a good time to get one with an evening return time (depending, of course, what time the park closes).

I'm trying to keep it in perspective. We are used to TT, Soarin' and TSMM all having 60+ minute waits within an hour of RD (with all FP+ booked and gone) in WDW. In comparison, I think we can deal. My DH will only be 3 weeks post fracture boot, so there will be no running of the bulls for us at RD. We have onsite EMH and will take it for whatever perk it happens to be those days :). C'mon pixie dust!!!

Kids under 7 are not allowed to ride by themselves

The OP:

However, I am a bit worried that my kids (10 and 12) will love it

I don't need to mention personality, because that's something the OP is smart enough to work out. :)

I have heard it is similar to test track but maybe it's not. Is there stuff that you do before you ride the ride or is it just the ride?

Nothing in line that I know of. Then again, I've never been in the normal line. So I wouldn't know. (and I despise interactive queues and naughtily skip that time-waster in TT!)

We are not opposed to single rider but would like to ride the first time together for sure.

Family of 4; 1 of you will be in a different row than the other (with a party of 2 or 2 single riders). Or you'll be 2 and 2. With a single rider (who was in the line a third of the time you were from the normal line) in each row.

I get that people want to ride together...I just can't work out *why*. It's a big disconnect in my brain. Guess when you're a family of 3 who has 1, formerly 2, adults "of size" in it, and refuse to squish together, you're used to splitting up anyway, and you truly don't see the call of 2 minutes of togetherness on a ride, when you've had in-line togetherness, in-hotel togetherness, at-meals togetherness, etc! :)

10:00 would probably be a good time to get one with an evening return time (depending, of course, what time the park closes).
Keep in mind that the usual "get another FP after two hours" does not seem to apply if you are holding a FP for the same attraction that has not become due yet! At that was what happened to me last year... Waited outside for the perfect night time return time, just to find out at the machines that I was not yet eligible for another FP, even though it had been more that 2 hours to get the first one.

So, in your case, if one of you lines up at the Fastpass machines right around opening while the other one does rides with the kids (don't know if splitting up and making one of you the dedicated FP runner for this occasion), you could probably get an early return time for the first FP. However, if you end up drawing a FP 8:30 or later, then it is very likely that you won't become eligible for another before they are all gone (I did call my new boyfriend OTTO on and off throughout the week to find out about when they run out and how quickly the return times go up, to help with our planning). The Return Time clock moves just a little more slowly on days that have MM at Disneyland, so that might help. I saw that one many of those days, FP were still available until 12noon or even a bit later than that.

Good luck on finding the perfect strategy for your family!

Thank you for the reminder about not getting another FP for the same attraction- I would have fallen into that pit!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter