DCA entrance through the Grand Californian ?

iHEARTflorida

DIS Veteran
Anyone can used this right? You don't have to be resort guests?

Also does anyone know what time Pluto meets in his PJs at the Grand Californian?

I think certain times it is for hotel guests only to enter DCA from the grand. I think the morning hours because the line can get long. Pretty sure you can exit DCA into the grand at any time without an issue. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I think certain times it is for hotel guests only to enter DCA from the grand. I think the morning hours because the line can get long. Pretty sure you can exit DCA into the grand at any time without an issue. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
That's correct.

They have become very strict, only hotel guests and those dining at the Grand Californian any time of the day for entering DCA, but most times of the day anyone can use that exit, although there are rare times that only hotel guests can use the exit as well.

They have become very strict, only hotel guests and those dining at the Grand Californian any time of the day for entering DCA, but most times of the day anyone can use that exit, although there are rare times that only hotel guests can use the exit as well.

Uh, no, not accurate at all.

The entrance into DCA is only restricted to hotel guests during EMH. At other times before about noon, it is at CM discretion (but they usually aren't asking to see room keys).

Anyone, at ANY time can exit DCA into the Grand.

We use the DCA entrance at least once a month. We were never even asked to show our room key when we used it as hotels guests over 3 days last summer. We used it a few weeks ago after breakfast at Craftsman Grill. It was around 9:45am on a Saturday and we didn't have to show anything other than our annual passes to get in.

The only entrance that is heavily patrolled and enforced is the FRONT DOOR of the GCH in the mornings. You need a restaurant reservation or a room key to get past the gate guard.

Uh, no, not accurate at all.

The entrance into DCA is only restricted to hotel guests during EMH. At other times before about noon, it is at CM discretion (but they usually aren't asking to see room keys).

Anyone, at ANY time can exit DCA into the Grand.

We use the DCA entrance at least once a month. We were never even asked to show our room key when we used it as hotels guests over 3 days last summer. We used it a few weeks ago after breakfast at Craftsman Grill. It was around 9:45am on a Saturday and we didn't have to show anything other than our annual passes to get in.

The only entrance that is heavily patrolled and enforced is the FRONT DOOR of the GCH in the mornings. You need a restaurant reservation or a room key to get past the gate guard.
Actually, on very busy days, such as New Years Eve, the exit is only for hotel guests and guests with confirmed reservations at certain times of the day, been victim to that myself. And as for the entrance, as of late they have been enforcing it very strictly most, if not all of the time.

DCA entrance from GCH is limited to GCH resort guests only.

In practice that is only monitored until 11am or so and even earlier on less busy days then anyone can enter at will. Often it is only monitored during EMH and rope drop for DCA.

There is a cast member checking for room keys before you enter security if being enforced. Security and ticket takers don't check so if the cast member is not standing there asking to see keys before you make the turn into the breezeway at the security checkpoint you are good to go as a non resort guest.

We eat at Craftsman Grill al the time for breakfast and can't remember the last time they were actually checking for room keys in the late AM even before 11am.

Just for clarification...as mentioned above entering GCH from the street through the front door is indeed restricted to GCH guests and confirmed reservation holders all day, Non GCH guest must enter GCH through DTD or from DCA (with the rare exception of random times during super busy days like NYE). That is to prevent PPH and off site guests from using the lobby as a shortcut and overloading the limited security check points that GCH guest have no other option but to use.

Last edited:

Actually, on very busy days, such as New Years Eve, the exit is only for hotel guests and guests with confirmed reservations at certain times of the day, been victim to that myself. And as for the entrance, as of late they have been enforcing it very strictly most, if not all of the time.

I can't speak to new year's, but my experience in general doesn't bear the rest of your claim out at all. We go into the Grand and back into the park almost every visit. They want people in there eating at the bars and lounges and CS restaurant (that's what we are doing most of the time). And I can't remember the last time I saw them enforcing the DCA entrance an hour or more after park open. Once there is no longer a line, they don't care who goes into the park that way. We often park at the structure and walk through the Grand from Downtown Disney and straight into DCA.

We went back and forth in December and weren’t asked for room keys. Was about 10am when we went to GCH and about 1pm when we went back to the park.

I can't speak to new year's, but my experience in general doesn't bear the rest of your claim out at all. We go into the Grand and back into the park almost every visit.

I have experienced restricting access INTO GCH from DCA three times over the past 6 years...so while rare, it does happen on occasion but certainly not typical nor should be a concern.

Just an FYI, once you are inside the GCH, you will have to go through security again. Either to leave the hotel into CA Adventure, and also to leave it to enter Downtown Disney. It took me a second to understand why, but it ultimately made sense.

I have experienced restricting access INTO GCH from DCA three times over the past 6 years...so while rare, it does happen on occasion but certainly not typical nor should be a concern.

I don't understand what the purpose of this would be, though? I'm not doubting it has happened on occasion, but why it would ever happen at all.

You can enter the Grand from DTD thru the entry/exit by Sephora or from DCA. You can exit using these 2 exits/entrances, and you can exit the front door. Non-hotel guests cannot use the front door. Excessive traffic.

Also does anyone know what time Pluto meets in his PJs at the Grand Californian?
I have only seen this once or twice at the Club level lounge prior to the remodel.
I don't understand what the purpose of this would be, though? I'm not doubting it has happened on occasion, but why it would ever happen at all.
I have seen it once, years ago, on NYE. They simply had numerous CMs blocking the exit into the Grand at the DCA pathway asking for room keys to get by. I was assuming it was busy as Napa throws a large party too. But haven't seen it in a lot of years.

We met Pluto in the evening this last December but that was in the Club. I think that it was around 8pm.

As for the entrance, we were asked for our room key while entering from GCH at varying times in the morning, during our seven day stay. I think it depends on the CM.

I was there for 3 days last week and they never asked to see my room key when I was coming or going through the Grand's direct access to DCA. It's the only entrance/exit I used the whole time I was there with the exception of returning late at night from an after hours event at DL. I entered as early as 8am and exited/entered throughout the day.

I was there for 3 days last week and they never asked to see my room key when I was coming or going through the Grand's direct access to DCA. It's the only entrance/exit I used the whole time I was there with the exception of returning late at night from an after hours event at DL. I entered as early as 8am and exited/entered throughout the day.
And I was there Sunday and they did.

And I was there Sunday and they did.
I agree that it varies, but I can’t find a true pattern. Sometimes when we are there, they ask for the room key, and sometimes they don’t. When they ALWAYS have asked for the room key is during entrance for MM/EMH at DCA. We have always been asked to show our room keys while waiting in line for the bag check at the GCH DCA entrance, and we have seen people that didn’t have room keys and were asked to leave the line.

Nope, you got it spot-on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter