DC, worth it only for the BRAVE

IowaGirl

Mouseketeer
My DH(34) and DD(10) went to Discovery Cove on 5/12 and the big question in my mind was, would it be worth it?
Well, yes it was for those two in our family. My daughter watches Animal Planet every day, dreams of being a vet/paleontologist, so it was a wise choice for her to do the dolphin swim, even at 200 bucks.
You are locked into spending extra money if you want photos of you with your dolphin. The water cameras are not allowed in that area.
THE WATER TEMP IS AT 55 DEGREES FOR THE SWIM--not for the faint of heart. I could not do that, nor did I know that. They could have worn the wet suits, but still, 55 degrees, brrrrrr
I would have NEVER enjoyed that swim.
DH said it was one of the hardest things he has done in a while, but after spending 200 for himself, he took the plunge.
Finally, lunch was free but it was my understanding that it was a really nice, really well prepared food type lunch. It was hot dogs and chips. I told my husband I had read he would get some nice seafood or meat type dish lunch. He lost no time in informing me it was just hot dogs.
Also, they were the first ones at the park that day because we had heard an early swim was the best, and it is first come first serve. (they beat most of the employees) Not true, when my husband checked in, they told him his swim time was scheduled already for 2:30. He balked, and they did give him an earlier time of 9:30.
It was worth it for these two, but I am SOOOO glad my 5 year old son and myself decided on another day at Universal/IOA instead.
I also wish I had scheduled time for DD and DH to take advantage of the SeaWorld access that comes with DC. DC closed at 5, and they went over to Sea World and did as much as they could in 2 hours (Krakken, Shamu show, couple other things, no time for Journey to Atlantis, 1 hour wait) They should have done that instead of GATORLAND (I would rather have my thumbs smashed with a hammer than go there again!)

was it really only hot dogs and chips available, i have read many posts on DC and the choice of food has always been reported as excellent, a good choice of starters, main and dessert dishes available, also a good vegetarian choice, did he ask why only hot dogs and chips were available, i know i would have.

Daughter I guess has a hamburger that day, but those were his choices. He also said it came with some sort of pasta salad that he did not care for.
Like I said, I was surprised because everything I had read led me to believe it would be a really nice lunch.

Remember this is NOT a first hand account. The Poster did not go, but her husband did.

I was there in August, there were choices galore. This may be interpreted as "not many kid friendly choices" or "There were choices that I didn't like", or "there was a line for the other entrees" or "I don't like to try new unfamiliar things"

And the hot dogs that were there were the nice foot long Polish Sausage ones... with a salad, and other side..

I had chicken breast with Pesto, and my DH had the beef/chicken fajita.
There was salmon, chicken ceaser salad, chicken pesto, beef/chicken fajitas, large types chicken strip salad, along with many kinds of deserts/drink choices.

There are choices a plenty. Don't let one naysayer sway you...

Thank You Cindy. I'm going in August and was hoping they hadn't changed things. I was surprised to read that other account as I've really not read anything negative about DC. Everyone seems to think it was a great experience and well worth the money.

Maybe I have been misinterpreted. DC was a great value, my DH and DD LOVED it.
It was much more expensive compared to other activities in Orlando and around, and it took me awhile to justify this expense. I figured others may be in the same boat as myself. I am very happy 1/2 my family went.
My review was based on the idea that I could not decide if the whole family should go, and I am glad we did not.
Now as far as the food is concerned, I all I did is report what I knew, not being negative. He honestly did not see any of these great dishes or starters you were talking about. I did not mean to be "naysaying" when I reported that DH only found hot dogs much to my surprise. The food is not the importsnt part of DC anyway, so I gues I am sorry I said anything about that.

Two thumbs up from DH and DD despite the hot dogs:D

Is it possible that he went to a stand or something? I can't remember much about any other food places there ( do they have stands that sell hot dogs etc..). The restaurant was cafeterria style and while they did have a variety, what I found that as I was waiting on line, people behind me kept reaching over and grabbing things before I had a chance to look and take something. Maybe that was what happened to your husband. I would have liked a nice sit down service, I need time to look at a menu, and be able to ask a question about how something is prepared.

I'm not naysaying.....just anwering questions:)
DH and I talked about this several times since I first posted this, again, he couldn't have cared what he ate, they had a great time there.
He said, it was cafeteria style. They had hot dogs(chicago style) hamburgers, pasta salad, chips, and a chinese dish that was pre-served in these bowls. He wasn't for sure if that was a side, starter or main dish. (stir fry veggies, with maybe some meat in there) He didn't get time to analyze the chinese bowls because they were gone quickly. And they did not go back up for seconds. It could have been replensished, and he would not have known. Therefore, hot dogs and hamburgers and some sort of chinese thing he didn't get a chance to see.

This was 5/12/02

I was so sure it would be a better food experience for them from what I had read too. It could have been an off day, or maybe because it was Mother's Day the cook didn't come :D
Anyway, food a minor part of the experince, they came for the dolphins and the sting rays!!!!!!!!!

I agree it was a minor detail, I kept hearing about the great food and found that it was not what I thought it would be. It isn't horrible, but not fantastic. I also had never seen any post about it being cafeteria style, which I personally don't care for and didn't expect. Again, it is a small detail and not one to ruin an otherwise wonderful day!

You and your 5 yo DS probably would've enjoyed the day at DC even if you didn't participate in the dolphin swim ... it's less expensive when you don't do the swim package, but get all the rest of the bennies (snorkeling gear, vest, lunch included, locker, sun block, etc.). And swimming with the tropical fish is almost as good (and the water isn't as cold).

We went in April and out of the 5 of us DH was the one that did NOT want to do the swim package ... but he still enjoyed the whole day.

As for the water, we found that once we got in it and stayed in it (we kept getting out screamin' like girls) we adapted rather quickly and it wasn't uncomfortable. And this was a fairly cool day (a storm blew in that afternoon). I'd imagine during the summer it would be a welcome relief from the heat.

Won't belabor the food issue....

Not sure what would've happened at check in with scheduling the dolphin swim time ... we were able to schedule a time we wanted (were also there early when most times were still available). I'd even called the day before and confirmed that swim times were not pre-ordained, and aren't assigned until sign-in. Your DH may have had an employee experiencing a bad day (or one who didn't know better?).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter