Day Tripping to Universal from Disney World

DisneyFamily123

Use the Force, Luke!
Tips for Day Tripping to Universal? Stay at a WDW resort 8 nights and day trip 2 of those days shuttling to Universal? Or split stay with 3 nights at a Universal resort then 5 nights at a WDW resort. Last minute decision to visit in 7 days! DS is 13. Never been to Universal. Been to WDW many times but not since 2014. Seems easier to just stay at WDW and day trip -- then we could enjoy some Disney at night, not losing time checking-in and checking out. Not sure we need to worry about express unlimited at Universal -- none of us like big coasters (Rock n Roller Coaster and Expedition Everest is the maximum thrill for us). Thanks for your help! Arriving in Orlando June 27 and need to make quick plans!

I would do a 2 night stay at one of the Universal deluxe resorts that offers EP after 6 nights at WDW. Whether you like big coasters or not, you are going during a busy time at the parks with the 4th of July crowds. That way, you can do all the WDW running around and have a couple of days at the end of your trip to relax a bit.

Also, I can't think of much at Universal that's as intense as Rockin Roller coaster. I haven't been on the new Harry Potter rides yet, but The Hulk to me is easier to ride than RRC, and rides like The Mummy are just fun.

Thank you. We know it is a busy time of year so that is a concern. We don't want to spend an hour in line waiting for each ride at Universal. We know Disney World will be crowded too but we have had good luck going to the parks early in the morning, doing rides during parades and shows, and things like that. But definitely want to go to Universal at least one day.

I would say one day at each park would suffice but I don’t know from experience what’s it like doing it without the Express Pass.

Can you afford to just pay for the EPs? But that would be one per person per day. They are pretty pricey.

I'm thinking we might be better waiting to do Universal Studios as a separate trip in the Fall when it is not so crowded. And just enjoy Disney World and Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach. This is a spontaneous trip and it will not be enjoyable to wait long times for rides at Universal when I could wait and go in September for a 3 day trip.

We did a day trip to Universal from WDW earlier this month. Granted, we had been before and were mainly interested in Diagon Alley and the Hogwarts Express, which had opened since our previous visit. We took an Uber over in the morning, got the Early Admission with our tickets because our TA had purchased them rather than us doing it, spent about 9 hours at the parks and left well before closing because we'd done everything we were interested in and also because it was a very hot day so we were wiped out. If you're going to be there at a busier, hotter time and you've never been before, you might want a couple of days at least.

For the most enjoyment you would need to do a split stay at one of the universal hotels that gives express pass. I also recommend doing universal at the end of your trip.

when i went in november we day tripped for two days, and honestly at day 1.5 we were ready to be done but just kept riding more and more! (which isn't a bad thing).
it is a 30 ish minute drive each way which late at night or earlier in the morning can feel like forever, but we didn't mind it. We just ubered from the lobby of our disney hotel to the city walk entrance at the parks and it was about $20-$40 per way. I personally don't think you need express passes at all to experience what you want over the course of two days. Especially when forgoing any high intensity rides.

Just utilize the single rider lines when applicable (and comfortable) to get all you want done.
I also booked with my TA and got the park to park access-highly recommend-and we received the early morning access without having to stay on property which we only used one of our days but it was still nice to have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter