Day before Thanksgiving prep?

We go to my mom’s, so I only fix a few things. I will make the cornbread today so it can dry out a bit before I put the oyster dressing together tomorrow. I’m thinking about making homemade cinnamon rolls for tomorrow morning. I will make those today too.

So what do you do today to prep for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow (if anything)

Are you one to prep most of the dinner? Do you just peel/cut all of your potatoes/veggies or do you actually prepare these dishes today just to throw them in the oven tomorrow?

Just getting an idea on what people do today or if you save everything for tomorrow.
Several years ago I started doing the turkey the day before. When I was doing the whole meal on Thanksgiving I found that, by the time I got the meal on the table, I just wasn't hungry anymore.

Now I do the whole turkey prep, stuff, cook, carve and plate (in baking pan) the day before. I also make the jello so it can set well before serving.

That way it only takes about 1 1/2 hours on Thanksgiving to do everything else. The same length of time it takes to reheat the turkey while doing everything else.

Much more manageable.

Made the dressing-ready to bake tomorrow
Same for sweet potato crunch

Blanched the broccoli

Dh made the pudding eclair dessert

Dd vacuumed and cleaned bathrooms

Organized myself on paper for tomorrow

Will borrow tables and chairs from church this evening. May set them up and decorate the tables tonight

Will put the turkey in the roaster oven to cook overnight

Will also grab some soda for the cooler and ice them down.

We eat about 1 tomorrow - 12 of us

Menu:
Turkey, gravy, rolls, macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, broccoli and cheese, green bean casserole @slo 🥘 , sweet potato casserole, brother bringing gumbo, eclair dessert, apple pie. Everything will come together

Absolutely nothing. First time in many years that I haven’t had to do anything. It’s just the 2 of us this year and I told my husband I’m not making a big traditional dinner. I’m making a simple casserole and that’s it.

My husband has to work on Thanksgiving, so we’re actually celebrating Thanksgiving on Friday.

Today (Wednesday), we’re cleaning the house - including all the baseboards & ceiling fans. I also plan to clean out the pantry. If there’s time, I may decorate the family room Christmas tree. I’ll also arrange the flowers for the dining tables & for the bathroom. Our 2 sons will bring up the extra table & chairs from our basement rec room & set the tables & chairs up in our living room - which is connected to the dining room.

Tomorrow (Thursday), I’ll roast sweet potatoes, bake cornbread, make the cranberry sauce, put together the dressing & sweet potato casserole, & make a pumpkin cheesecake, a sweet potato pie, & a million dollar pie. I’ll also organize & finalize my menu checklist, get out all the serving pieces & label where everything will go on the buffet, & set the 2 dining tables.

Later in the day/early evening, I’ll boil the eggs for the deviled eggs.

Our daughter will make pumpkin spice cookies & then bag them in little treat bags to give to everyone as they’re leaving on Friday.

And, if I didn’t get the family room tree decorated today, I’ll decorate it tomorrow.

Tomorrow evening, when my husband gets home from work, he’ll get the 2 turkeys ready to go in the smoker. He’ll also make the deviled eggs. He’s making a chocolate pecan cobbler as well, but he’ll probably make it on Friday.

We’re planning to eat around 2 on Friday, so, on Friday morning, we’ll start cooking everything based on how long it cooks & when it needs to go in the oven. I’ll also put together the relish tray, arrange & set up the beverage table, &, I don’t know… everything else that needs doing… LOL!

It all eventually comes together!

Cleaned the house. Washed all serving dishes, casseroles, flatware, drinking glasses etc (we just moved so I am still taking things out of boxes). I am baking snikerdoodle cookes now. Most everything else will wait for the morning.

We got 2+ inches of snow and then it rained heavily all day. DH and I were up at 4 am so he could snowblow before he headed to work. It's been dreary but the winter birds are busy eating berries and I enjoy seeing the contours of the hills and stonewalls in the backyard.

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

We don’t host so my prep today included giving the dogs a bath and heading out to pick up some wine later.

I have a one week countdown and make a list for each day. Today I am cooking the turkey and making the gravy. My oven will be full tomorrow so I find it easiest to cook and carve it today, much less stress! I also did more cleaning and set the table. Pizza tonight, Happy Thanksgiving!

Y’all forgot the most important things….
1-finding the expanding-waisted pants to wear
2-picking the football games to watch
😂

I’m in charge of desserts so I’ll be baking today. Caramel apple cheesecake, pecan pie, chocolate cream pie, and some cookies. I also make the orange cranberry sauce but I can it so I made that last weekend.
You have the same assignments as me this year. I just made pumpkin, chocolate, and gingerbread creme pie. I'll make the cranberry sauce (I do cranberry apple) tomorrow morning since it's fast.

I'm happy not to be hosting and making the turkey etc. this year!

Yesterday, put the components of a vegan friendly charcuterie board (sounds like an 21st century oxymoron, LOL) together. In addition to the purchased meats and cheeses, I made roasted beet dip, caponata, marinated ‘shrooms (sure I could have bought them already made but what’s the fun in that?), and added purchased roasted peppers and artichokes to the mix. The hardest part was cutting wax paper layers to fit the storage containers. Now just waiting for the new Spelling Bee to open in…40 minutes…

Enjoy the beauty of these days people and have a wondrous Thanksgiving celebration!

has anyone made roasted root vegetables ina crockpot? we are doing our onFriday as in Germany today is not a holiday. to save oven space was thinking of using that.. Do they brown in there?

Or cook in crockpot to soften and put in oven for 20 min to brown afterwards?

tips on mashed potatoes in the crockpot would be appreicated thanks!

has anyone made roasted root vegetables ina crockpot? we are doing our onFriday as in Germany today is not a holiday. to save oven space was thinking of using that.. Do they brown in there?

Or cook in crockpot to soften and put in oven for 20 min to brown afterwards?

tips on mashed potatoes in the crockpot would be appreicated thanks!
They will not brown unless your crockpot has a sauté feature. Your second idea will work: cook crockpot then oven brown.

Crockpot mashed potatoes? As long as you up the dairy fat the concept works.
Use cream or Neufchâtel cheese; sour cream/ crème fraiche; or high fat buttermilk Any will work separately OR in combination. Here is a recipe that gives proportions:

https://www.wellplated.com/crockpot-mashed-potatoes/#wprm-recipe-container-78530

HTH and have fun!

Made the dressing-ready to bake tomorrow
Same for sweet potato crunch

Blanched the broccoli

Dh made the pudding eclair dessert

Dd vacuumed and cleaned bathrooms

Organized myself on paper for tomorrow

Will borrow tables and chairs from church this evening. May set them up and decorate the tables tonight

Will put the turkey in the roaster oven to cook overnight

Will also grab some soda for the cooler and ice them down.

We eat about 1 tomorrow - 12 of us

Menu:
Turkey, gravy, rolls, macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, broccoli and cheese, green bean casserole @slo 🥘 , sweet potato casserole, brother bringing gumbo, eclair dessert, apple pie. Everything will come together
What's a pudding eclaire dessert? My stomach wants to know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter