Day 5 Once upon a Fairytale

We ate lunch at Restaurant Gutshof in Kassel. After lunch we were on our way to Rothenburg. Its a medival walled town. The bus ride was about 21/2 hours from Kassel. There is plenty of time to explore the town on our own after checking into our hotel,The Hotel Eisenhut. Next to our hotel ,there are 2 Christmas shops! The shops are by the same company to_One is a large store and the other is small. It is Kathe Wohlfahrt. They have stores all over Europe and there is even one in the US.
I spent some time in the both stores and finally purchased some things .I had them shipped to me.:goodvibes

There are many places to eat along the sqaure. I had dinner in one of the restaurants. I met up with some of the group and they invited me to their table.
I was going to order the oxtail soup but learned it was sold out. So i ordered vienersnitzel .It was wonderful! A nice large beer to go with it to.

In the late evening, we walked with Night Watchman! I heard someone in our tour group say Rick Steve recommends this tour. We follow the watchman by lamp light
along the streets of Rothenburg. As we walk with him, he tells us stories and history of the town and the duty of the Night Watchman. I found it very interesting how he was able to link the past with the present .

What a splendid way to end the day and night:wizard:
I visited Rothenburg several times with other tour companies. We only stayed for a few hours and left. I thought it was great that ABD has 2 nights here!

On the next day in Rothenburg, we went to Striffler Bakery to learn pretzel making. Each of us made 2 pretzels. They were very tasty to. It was interesting to see the whole process. Oh i went back to the bakery in the afternoon to buy some Schneerballs. It is baked dough dipped in chocolate or powered sugar. I bought the ones with the sugar. If you buy them, brake them into pieces in the bag. It is much easier eatting them that way.

We had the afternoon to ourselves to explore the town. There are 2 musuems .A torture museum and a Puppet museum. Actually ,the puppet one is about dolls and toys. Both are very interesting. I went to both. There are some
houses you can visit . I found a nice restaraunt for lunch. On the menu i noticed
Nuremburger saugages. I ordered the saugages. There were six pieces with boiled potato and sauercraut. With the meal i also had a dark beer. I was so full
from lunch that i did not have anything else.

Jannae said there was an optional walking tour before dinner. Therefore, i went on this tour. We visited several churches. One of the churches , St,Jakobs Church is beautiful :love:
It was either during this walking tour or with the Nightwatchman that we also went to the only part of the wall that can be walked on. I did this years ago so i did not repeat it. The steps going down are very high up. There is one railing and the wall.

Dinner was at the hotel. For our last night in Rothenburg, there was several choices on the menu. Pork steak, Filet of pike-perch, and Breast of poulard. I ordered the pork. It was baked with a cornflake crust. The pork was very good.
Afterwards,apple strudel with ice cream.
After dinner, i went outside and walk around for a few minutes.

100_0133.jpg

This a photo of the town sqaure. Does the fountain look familiar?

I can't wait to read about the rest of the trip and the photos are excellent.

marcemch - thank you for sharing the photo of your daughter and her pig.

Of all the ABD trips I've looked at this is the one I would take.

But I give up--what does the fountain look like? (One of the fountains in Toon Town at Disneyland?) I love your details--I'm taking notes to use on our Germany adventure next month. I'm having the kids read your report, too, to get them pumped up for this adventure!

But I give up--what does the fountain look like? (One of the fountains in Toon Town at Disneyland?) I love your details--I'm taking notes to use on our Germany adventure next month. I'm having the kids read your report, too, to get them pumped up for this adventure!

I think it is the same fountain at the Germany Pavilion in Epcot.

:goodvibes I am sure your kids will enjoy the trip.

I can't wait to read about the rest of the trip and the photos are excellent.

marcemch - thank you for sharing the photo of your daughter and her pig.

Of all the ABD trips I've looked at this is the one I would take.

:goodvibes Thanks!

100_0134.jpg

Here is another picture of the square. The building with the clocks has 2 figures of men drinking beer . The come out on each side of the astronomical clock.

100_0144.jpg

This the Mask of Shame from the torture museum:eek:There were several mask. One for talkative women and one of blabbermouth i think.:confused3.

There were several groups of school children in the museum while i was there. So its suitable for kids.

There are 2 buildings to the museum. You enter one and follow the arrows on the floor and the signs to the other building. There were several floors to the building also.

When i was existing the museum, there were city crews tearing up the steps outside. I thought they were repairing the steps. I learned from the Nightwatchman tour that often things like bricks will be moved to be used at another place in town. The town reinvests itself this way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter